Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Pittsburgh Airport to PNC Park by bus

Old Apr 16, 2017, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Next Saturday April 22, we want to arrive at the ballpark by 3pm for the 4pm game. We learned there is a Bus 28X Airport Flyer that goes into Pittsburgh; we're staying by the airport. From looking at the map, I don't know which stop is for the ballpark. Please advise!

Any advice about taking the bus both going and returning would be greatly appreciated too like if we need exact change in coins. Thanks.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
Next Saturday April 22, we want to arrive at the ballpark by 3pm for the 4pm game. We learned there is a Bus 28X Airport Flyer that goes into Pittsburgh; we're staying by the airport. From looking at the map, I don't know which stop is for the ballpark. Please advise!

Any advice about taking the bus both going and returning would be greatly appreciated too like if we need exact change in coins. Thanks.
Going to PNC Park: Get off at Liberty and Market. Walk north(-ish) on 6th Ave, onto the Roberto Clemente Bridge.

Coming back: Get on at Liberty and 5th. Across the street from where you got off.

You will need exact change.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by radiowell
Going to PNC Park: Get off at Liberty and Market. Walk north(-ish) on 6th Ave, onto the Roberto Clemente Bridge.

Coming back: Get on at Liberty and 5th. Across the street from where you got off.

You will need exact change.
Figure it's a 15-20 minute walk from Liberty and Market to PNC Park but it's a very nice walk and you might want to give yourself a little more time to make it a more leisurely stroll. Add that into your calculations and enjoy the 'burgh.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Thank you both! Sounds like the walk is scenic which will be quite nice.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

On the Airport Flyer PDF, I found this:

Save by using ConnecTix! A ticket vending machine is available at Lower Level Baggage Claim, Door #6 ; ConnecTix fare is $2.50; ConnecTix fare with a transfer is $3.50.
A few questions:
  1. We'll be arriving on Delta from JFK. Is there just one baggage claim area with multiple carousels? I'm looking at PIT's interactive map and I don't see more than one terminal.
  2. Does the ticket vending machine take credit cards? If not, will we still need exact change in coins?
  3. Last, am I correct that we don't need a transfer between PIT and PNC Park?

Thank you very much!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:40 pm

On the Airport Flyer PDF, I found this:

A few questions:
  1. We'll be arriving on Delta from JFK. Is there just one baggage claim area with multiple carousels? I'm looking at PIT's interactive map and I don't see more than one terminal.
  2. Does the ticket vending machine take credit cards? If not, will we still need exact change in coins?
  3. Last, am I correct that we don't need a transfer between PIT and PNC Park?

Thank you very much!
I can answer 1 and 3 (not sure about 2; it's new since I lived there)

1. PIT only has one "landside" where everyone from airside will be dumped (via People Mover). So yes, one baggage area (and Delta should have its own dedicated carousel). You won't miss it.

3. Yes. No need. The bus 28X takes you directly to downtown without transfer ^ (it does have many stops along the way, unfortunately, but uses a dedicated busway).

Slight correction on my post. It is 5th Ave but 6th St. *facepalm* Sorry about that, they are actually parallel but changes from Ave to St for some reason.

Enjoy the PNC Park, one of my favorite MLB ballparks!!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by radiowell

Slight correction on my post. It is 5th Ave but 6th St. *facepalm* Sorry about that, they are actually parallel but changes from Ave to St for some reason.
I'm a bit confused here.

So when you wrote "Going to PNC Park: Get off at Liberty and Market. Walk north(-ish) on 6th Ave, onto the Roberto Clemente Bridge", did you mean walk on 5th Ave? Where does 6th St come into play??
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:19 pm

I'm a bit confused here.

So when you wrote "Going to PNC Park: Get off at Liberty and Market. Walk north(-ish) on 6th Ave, onto the Roberto Clemente Bridge", did you mean walk on 5th Ave? Where does 6th St come into play??
A joyful word to the wise. It's Pittsburgh. When you ask a Pittsburgher for directions, they'll usually say, "follow me," or take you there. You'll be fine.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:19 pm

I'm a bit confused here.

My bad. I meant to say 6th St all along (6th Ave doesn't exist in this context). If you look at the map, where you get off will be between 5th Ave and 6th St. You want to walk on the 6th St. towards Clemente Bridge. Yes, it is even more confusing because 5th Ave bends around to form its own big street, you want to avoid 5th Ave all together, until you get back on the bus to PIT (from PNC Park, walk on the Clemente Bridge, which becomes 6th St, and at Liberty turn right, walk one block). Welcome to the "triangle" of downtown Pittsburgh.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Ok….so to use your words, let me see if I get this right. I'll copy your words and make the inserted corrections.

Going to PNC Park: Get off at Liberty and Market. Walk north(-ish) on 6th St, onto the Roberto Clemente Bridge. Avoid 5th Ave.

from PNC Park, walk on the Clemente Bridge, which becomes 6th St, and at Liberty turn right, walk one block).

Once I get this right, I'm going to copy/paste it to my notes on my phone.

Originally Posted by HomerJay
A joyful word to the wise. It's Pittsburgh. When you ask a Pittsburgher for directions, they'll usually say, "follow me," or take you there. You'll be fine.
That's kind.

May I assume that once we get off the bus at Liberty & Market, we will actually SEE the ballpark and the Roberto Clemente Bridge before it?

—————

I'm looking at Google Maps directions and it recommends we leave the bus at "Liberty Ave at Gateway #4 " and walk to the Gateway Station to catch the Red line (bus? light rail?) to "North Side" and then a 3 minute walk to the ballpark. Nobody here recommended this Red Line. Is it unreliable? Out of the way? Does it require a transfer that we can get at the ticket machine at PIT?

Thanks.

Last edited by Analise; Apr 17, 2017 at 8:25 pm
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:48 pm

If you are taking 28X, don't bother with the T. Here a map that I hope can help you out.

http://mlb.mlb.com/pit/images/ballpa...ving_lg_10.gif

Bus will be traveling on Liberty, from the Fort Pitt Bridge, and you will be dropped off between the two T stations (at a little upside down triangle on Liberty Ave, beneath the grey Penn & 6th square on the map), where you need to basically walk forward to 6th St, then turn left, and onto the bridge. No need to get on the T.

For another perspective

http://www.portauthority.org/paac/Po...iResMapNSC.jpg

You will be dropped off between Gateway and Wood Street T stations.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
You will get to PNC fine. I've taken the 28X about 5 times in the past 3 years on my trips to the 'burgh. It does take a little while from the airport with a lot of intermediate stops, but maybe it will be easier on a Saturday. I always pay with dollar bills and coins on the bus. I didn't know there was a ticket vending machine. I'm glad I read the thread!!! As you approach downtown Pittsburgh you should see the two ballparks on your left (Heinz Field and PNC). I'd just ask the bus driver where to get off so you can walk across the bridge. I've also taken the "subway" from Gateway Plaza to Heinz Field. It might be free on the weekend. It's two stops to Heinz Field. I'm not sure where the first stop is (if that puts you closer to PNC) but you can certainly walk from Heinz Field to PNC. Either way, I do it without maps or any knowledge and somehow I make it when I get in from the airport!!!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Good to know, thank you.

Are there bodegas or 7-Elevens where we can buy a liter or 1.5 liter of water to bring into the game? Or does PNC ban outside bottled water? I didn't think of it until tonight as we went to our first Yankee game tonight.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
Definitely a 7-11 or bodega where you can buy water when you get off the bus. Whether you can bring it inside PNC, I don't know

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.