Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washington Subway Metro "SafeTrack" Program June 2016 to March 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2016, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amanuensis
So where is the final plan that the slide deck promised? It was supposed to be released yesterday.
OK, it's out. HT dcist.com
http://dcist.com/2016/05/heres_the_f..._plan_from.php
https://www.scribd.com/doc/313167647/SafeTrack-Public

No, I'm not going to compare it the earlier version.

Why is it so prominently labeled "public?" Is there a secret one of additional closures or whatever that Metro doesn't want us to know about?
Old May 19, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Mostly, it changed the dates for destroying the lives of everyone who lives west of Ballston. They're starting with single tracking on the Orange Line on June 4 (allegedly for 13 days) with trains every 18 minutes. Right now, with trains about every 6 minutes, it is rare for there to be an empty seat leaving Vienna in the morning. Maybe they can hire some people pushers from Tokyo.
Old May 19, 2016, 8:49 pm

I've noticed that there's a lot of little 'scheduled' maintenance work going on that isn't mentioned in the plan. Yesterday, for example, the Silver Line briefly, for an hour or so around 2 pm, only went from Wiehle to Ballston. Not much point in a plan if you're just gonna do it whichever way it suits you anyway.
Old May 20, 2016, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I've noticed that there's a lot of little 'scheduled' maintenance work going on that isn't mentioned in the plan. Yesterday, for example, the Silver Line briefly, for an hour or so around 2 pm, only went from Wiehle to Ballston. Not much point in a plan if you're just gonna do it whichever way it suits you anyway.
That's their normal scheduled maintenance, which they do a poor job of announcing to people. For example, it wasn't until I got off a train at Metro Center last weekend that I discovered they were single tracking on the Orange and Blue Lines through the central core. (Trains running every 20 minutes on the weekend is not, alas, something unusual these days.)

There are shutdowns on the eastern part of the Orange and Blue Lines this weekend, also, for example.
Old May 26, 2016, 5:33 pm

When we moved to DC ten years ago, metro was great - rarely had disruptions, weekends were reliable etc.

Starting 6 years ago, ever since the train collision, things have been downhill, so bad that I often walked 5 miles to the office to avoid metro, never ride it on weekends (who wants random 45 minute waits because of some poorly announced "maintenance"? The few times we took the train (redline boarding at Van Ness), the train was packed - could barely stand. Returns from Metro Center the same.

Past two years have gotten even worse, with random fatal accidents, rapes (that aren't even publicized by Metro), murders, knifings and other urban mayhem. Cellphone thefts are so common they don't even merit a news item.

Don't get me wrong. Sometimes, heck most of the time, things work. But all too often, Metro disappoints, or worse. You just can't count on it. And the shuttle buses are a joke.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: AGR WOH
Metro service to/from DCA is disrupted from today through July 18. Dr. Gridlock's article on how to get there:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mepage%2Fstory
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by paytonc
Metro service to/from DCA is disrupted from today through July 18. Dr. Gridlock's article on how to get there:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mepage%2Fstory
Actually, the current Surge, which runs through the 11th, should have little impact on most tourists, as it affects the section south of DCA. Surge #4, however, which runs from July 12-18, however, will close the blue and yellow lines between DCA and Pentagon City and will, therefore, be more disruptive to those heading in to the city.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:18 am

It still affects everyone using those lines because there's a trickle down effect on the Yellow and Blue lines down the route, so delays are a fact of life. And it even affects users of other lines. If a westbound Yellow line train in L'Enfant can't move, that means the Green line train behind it gets stuck as well. I saw that exact scenario yesterday.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa

Here's what I don't understand and has not been made clear.

"Line segment shutdown between National Airport & Braddock Road
REDUCED SERVICE AT ALL TIMES AT MANY STATIONS, PRIMARILY YELLOW/BLUE IN VIRGINIA"

Line segment shutdown between
National Airport & Pentagon City REDUCED SERVICE AT ALL TIMES AT MANY STATIONS, PRIMARILY YL/BL IN VIRGINIA"

Metro has NEVER been good at disseminating clear information.
I need to answer my own question from above and point out that "Line Segment Shutdown" seems to mean that the actual track between Station X and Station Y is shut down - e.g. no trains (carrying pax, at least) are traversing those tracks.

The current line segment shutdown between Braddock and Ronald Reagan National Airport is an example - no trains between those two stations. Ride to Braddock - get on a bus to DCA - get back on Metro to wherever. Same in reverse - ride to DCA - get on a bus to Braddock - get back on at Braddock to wherever.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: United Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
I need to answer my own question from above and point out that "Line Segment Shutdown" seems to mean that the actual track between Station X and Station Y is shut down - e.g. no trains (carrying pax, at least) are traversing those tracks.

The current line segment shutdown between Braddock and Ronald Reagan National Airport is an example - no trains between those two stations. Ride to Braddock - get on a bus to DCA - get back on Metro to wherever. Same in reverse - ride to DCA - get on a bus to Braddock - get back on at Braddock to wherever.
Yes - except they are only hoping that people going to the airport take the shuttle from Braddock Road to the airport. They want everyone else to take the shuttle to/from Pentagon City.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...pentagon-city/
Old Jul 12, 2016, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OhioExile
Yes - except they are only hoping that people going to the airport take the shuttle from Braddock Road to the airport. They want everyone else to take the shuttle to/from Pentagon City.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...pentagon-city/

Yip OhioExile is correct. The WaPo article cited above says it all. And there's a hint of it in the safetrack web site at
http://www.wmata.com/rider_tools/met...s.cfm?AID=5584
For SafeTrack Phase 4 (July 12 through July 18, 2016.)
"All through customers traveling to/from DC should use shuttle buses between Braddock Rd and Pentagon City to continue their trip. Northbound customers should exit at Braddock Rd for shuttle. Do NOT stay on the train until National Airport. (Shuttles to/from the airport are LIMITED and should be for airport customers only)"
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I unfortunately picked this weekend to come visit DC. I am flying in Friday and staying at the Westin Washington DC. My Jetblue flight leaves at 8am Monday morning, and I have TSA precheck, and no checked luggage. Will I be OK using the Metro if I catch it at 5am? Or should I make alternate arrangements? Thanks for any advice.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:17 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by Runner123
I unfortunately picked this weekend to come visit DC. I am flying in Friday and staying at the Westin Washington DC. My Jetblue flight leaves at 8am Monday morning, and I have TSA precheck, and no checked luggage. Will I be OK using the Metro if I catch it at 5am? Or should I make alternate arrangements? Thanks for any advice.
I presume you mean the Westin near Mt. Vernon Sqiare
and DCA. You should be fine, but don't dawdle. You'll
need to take a shuttle bus from Pentagon City to DCA.

According to the Metro trip planner, which is kind of
screwed up itself, if you get on at Mt. Vernon Square
at 0536, you'll get to DCA at 0620, so you will have
a little leeway there, maybe 15 to 25 minutes. If I
were you I'd go with the first train (0536).
Old Jul 14, 2016, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Runner123

Originally Posted by violist
I presume you mean the Westin near Mt. Vernon Sqiare
and DCA. You should be fine, but don't dawdle. You'll
need to take a shuttle bus from Pentagon City to DCA.

According to the Metro trip planner, which is kind of
screwed up itself, if you get on at Mt. Vernon Square
at 0536, you'll get to DCA at 0620, so you will have
a little leeway there, maybe 15 to 25 minutes. If I
were you I'd go with the first train (0536).
I'd beg to differ as I've experienced the bus/shuttle system between Pent City and DCA and can say it's pretty messed up and disorganized. Twitter abounds with photos/tweets of lines and related problems.

I'd try it tomorrow morning (I assume you mean flying in Friday, 15 July) and see what it's like both absolute time/stopwatch-wise and just overall experience with organization, line management, etc. Then decide.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 3:39 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Going to do this tomorrow AM rush and see what it looks like. I'll report back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.