Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest airports with train to Baltimore

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: The Embassy
Cheapest airports with train to Baltimore

Next summer I need to get from BKK to Baltimore for a week, dates to be confirmed, in J. I consider doing the final part of my journey to be a feature, not a hindrance, and I want to fly as luxuriously as possible, for the least money, on oneworld or *G, but preferably oneworld.

What are likely to be the cheapest airports on the Mid-Atlantic to fly into on a major long haul flight?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: BA GfL
Your choices are EWR or PHL, although neither has a one-seat ride to Baltimore. In both cases, you'll need to take either a commuter train (SEPTA in PHL) or a linking line (EWR's Airtrain) to get to the Amtrak station. There is also JFK, which probably would be the cheapest, but there you have to take both the Airtrain *and* a subway or commuter train to get to Penn Station to pick up Amtrak...a lot more time and shlepping vs. the first two options.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

CX flies into EWR. QR flies into PHL.

There is much more frequent train service to BAL from Philadelphia 30th Street Station and Newark Penn Station than there is from EWR Airport Rail Station. (Amtrak's Acela service does not stop at EWR Airport.)
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
BA flies nonstop LHR-BWI, so no need for any hopping on trains (beyond local light rail if you choose) and fly TATL. Coming the other way, AA/US has multiple services SFO/LAX-BWI.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Often1
BA flies nonstop LHR-BWI, so no need for any hopping on trains (beyond local light rail if you choose) and fly TATL. Coming the other way, AA/US has multiple services SFO/LAX-BWI.
But the OP wants "to fly as luxuriously as possible." I don't think BA Club World quite ranks up there with CX J or QR J.

Whether it's worth it to him to take a train to avoid BA, only he can answer.

Last edited by guv1976; Oct 10, 2015 at 12:39 pm
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the OP flies QR into PHL, a short, connecting flight on AA PHL-BWI (rather than Amtrak) is also a possibility.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:41 pm

AFAIK, Amtrak doesn't offer checked bags on it's NE Corridor trains. So, a big suitcase might not be ideal to carry on one of those trains.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beyondhere
AFAIK, Amtrak doesn't offer checked bags on it's NE Corridor trains. So, a big suitcase might not be ideal to carry on one of those trains.
While it's true that the Northeast Regionals (except for the overnight WAS-BOS and BOS-WAS trains) do not offer checked-baggage service, it is still possible to check baggage between major stations on the Northeast Corridor. Amtrak will simply transport the baggage on one of its several trains with baggage cars that traverse the Corridor. (The checked baggage would arrive on a different train than the Regional or Acela that the passenger travels on, and the passenger would have to return to his destination station to claim the baggage after it arrives.)
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by guv1976

While it's true that the Northeast Regionals (except for the overnight WAS-BOS and BOS-WAS trains) do not offer checked-baggage service, it is still possible to check baggage between major stations on the Northeast Corridor. Amtrak will simply transport the baggage on one of its several trains with baggage cars that traverse the Corridor. (The checked baggage would arrive on a different train than the Regional or Acela that the passenger travels on, and the passenger would have to return to his destination station to claim the baggage after it arrives.)
Or rather, if it arrives.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage

Or rather, if it arrives.
Have you had more occasions of lost/delayed baggage with Amtrak than with the airlines?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Have you had more occasions of lost/delayed baggage with Amtrak than with the airlines?
I had a shipment of household goods systematically pilfered when shipped by Amtrak when moving years ago. Each box slit open, the more expensive stuff taken, a few boxes missing. I met the train upon arrival.

I certainly wouldn't send my luggage on a different train than the one I was traveling on.

YMMV
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage

I had a shipment of household goods systematically pilfered when shipped by Amtrak when moving years ago. Each box slit open, the more expensive stuff taken, a few boxes missing. I met the train upon arrival.

I certainly wouldn't send my luggage on a different train than the one I was traveling on.

YMMV
Well, pilferage of cargo can occur on airlines too, and I assume that the contents were insured.

I've checked baggage to be transported on Amtrak trains other than mine, and the only problem I ever had was when some luggage I had checked from Los Angeles to Oceanside a few hours before my departure was not off-loaded at Oceanside, and continued on to San Diego. Because the baggage was transported on an earlier train than the one I was traveling on, the baggage was already heading back to Oceanside from San Diego before I arrived at Oceanside. The delayed baggage arrived at Oceanside a few minutes after I did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.