Search

Time and Available Transport from PHL to Closest AMTRAK Station

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Time and Available Transport from PHL to Closest AMTRAK Station

Hello,

I have a flight landing at PHL tomorrow around 1PM. I'd like to take Amtrak to Penn Station. How much time should I plan to get to the main Amtrak 30th Street Station from PHL?

Thanks
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
Are you planning on taking a taxi, or using transit?

Transit schedule here: http://www.septa.org/schedules/rail/w/AIR_1.html

Depending on time of day, the taxi will be as fast as the train.

Taxi is $28.50 flat rate, before tip. Transit will be $8 cash only on board.

There is a master thread on PHL, lots of good info in there.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flyer78
Are you planning on taking a taxi, or using transit?

Transit schedule here: http://www.septa.org/schedules/rail/w/AIR_1.html

Depending on time of day, the taxi will be as fast as the train.

Taxi is $28.50 flat rate, before tip. Transit will be $8 cash only on board.

There is a master thread on PHL, lots of good info in there.
Good to know a taxi is as fast as septa. That might be easier given that there's no traffic. No waiting either. Thanks.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA
If you have the time, I'd just save the money and take the Airport train. It takes you right to the Amtrak station.

Also consider UberX, which is in Philly now, and is only about $20.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:32 pm

Is downtown Philly your final destination?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Airbridge
Is downtown Philly your final destination?
I need to get to Penn Station in Newark. I was hoping to save as much time possible to avoid traffic in NJ after I leave the train.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jaxbill
Good to know a taxi is as fast as septa. That might be easier given that there's no traffic. No waiting either. Thanks.
Again, it will depend on time of day, as well as road conditions. Use Google after landing to see what the estimated time is.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Assuming the roads aren't mucked up, if you arrive when a train is about to leave, just take the SEPTA train to 30th Street. It'll be cheaper and it will drop you at the upper level of 30th where the commuter trains come in. Just walk to the main hall for Amtrak trains to Newark NJ. If you don't mind the cost and a train is not about to leave, take a taxi or Uber (which will be a bit more expensive than taxi).
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:29 pm

I need to get to Penn Station in Newark. I was hoping to save as much time possible to avoid traffic in NJ after I leave the train.
Fly to EWR

On a serious note however, at that time of day a one way rental may be a viable option
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Airbridge
Fly to EWR

On a serious note however, at that time of day a one way rental may be a viable option
I thought about that but did not want to connect in CLT or take a Dash 8 from PHL to EWR.

Rental car might be a good idea since I've never been on Amtrak before and am in a bit of a hurry. Thanks.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
I thought about that but did not want to connect in CLT or take a Dash 8 from PHL to EWR.

Rental car might be a good idea since I've never been on Amtrak before and am in a bit of a hurry. Thanks.
Using Amtrak is pretty easy and tickets can be bought on their web site, mobile app, or at at kiosk at the station in only a few minutes. Like on airlines, they have mobile boarding passes.

It is worth price comparing rental cars vs. Amtrak. Like the airlines, Amtrak uses yield management so a train nearly full booked last minute will be more expensive.

There is a third way: SEPTA to 30th, SEPTA to Trenton NJ, NJ Transit to Newark. This is the "cheap" way other than buses to the NYC area and will take significantly longer. I mention this mainly for the benefit of others looking for a cheaper option on transit between Philly and the NYC area. Oh, and make sure you don't hop on a SEPTA train to Newark, Delaware. That would be an unwelcome surprise.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by bridge29

Also consider UberX, which is in Philly now, and is only about $20.
UberX cannot pickup at PHL. Only black car and SUV.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:55 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Driving to newark penn station will be the quickest option - especially at 1pm/mid day. ~90 minutes.

PHL -> Walt Whitman Bridge -> I-295 North -> Exit 36A -> NJ TP North to Newark.

Of course then you have to get a one way rental with an agency that has a counter in Penn Station.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
Of course then you have to get a one way rental with an agency that has a counter in Penn Station.
https://www.google.com/maps/search/c...k+penn+station

Three Enterprises within 10 min walk of the station. And, yes, that's a safe walk in the middle of the day.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
The SEPTA train from PHL to 30th St. runs roughly every 30 minutes (exact departure depends on the terminal you are coming out of). http://www.septa.org/schedules/rail/w/AIR_0.html

If I were doing this, my options in order of preference would be:

1) PHL--> SEPTA --> 30th St-->AMTRAK-->PENN STATION EWR
I would look at when I arrive and how much I would have to wait for the SEPTA train and once I got to 30th St, how long I would have to wait there.

2)If waiting for the SEPTA train was long and impacted how long I had to wait at 30th Street, I would substitute a taxi to get to 30th St.

3) I would drive it last. Between taking the shuttle to the car rental at PHL, dealing with traffic and dropping at EWR and especially if I'd not done the drive before, I'd take the train instead. (and for reference, I have a home in Devon PA and own an apartment in Manhattan so I do that drive (or train) quite regularly).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.