Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

NY Hotel Fines Newlyweds For Every Negative Yelp Review Left By Their Wedding Guests

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NY Hotel Fines Newlyweds For Every Negative Yelp Review Left By Their Wedding Guests

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2014, 12:47 pm

Lesson for them is that if you want to joke, joke overtly so that everyone realizes that it's a joke. The policy did seem dubious to me. Maybe suddenly in this craptstorm they are claiming it a joke.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Assuming this was real, it is totally unenforceable. Imagine this ... you hold an event at the location. One of your guests posts something negative. How can YOU be held responsible for what they post?

I would dispute any $500 charge on my credit card so fast. Let them try to collect it.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Annie's Baking Company, east coast division.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 3:19 pm

Welcome to the end of democracy...
Old Aug 4, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA MM
I submitted a review on Trip Advisor and they did turned it down. I was honest that I had not stayed there but said that I thought TA readers should know about this issue. So you're going to see different reviews on Yelp and TA.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 4:48 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by greasy
Joking ? That's the best way they came up as an apology ?

It was a stupid joke, and they are paying for it with bad publicity ... but to whom are they supposed to apologize? It doesn't appear that anyone was actually fined or attempted to be fined.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
When I pull up Yelp reviews locally, I look at some of the "filtered" reviews not recommended very closely - which they said, and I quote part of it
"automated software to recommend the ones that are most helpful for the Yelp community. The software looks at dozens of different signals, including various measures of quality, reliability, and activity on Yelp. The process has nothing to do with whether a business advertises on Yelp or not."
As a regular Yelper, I've found the filter to be a hit or miss although it's accurate most of the time. It simply filters out the reviews where it is obvious that the establishment is trying to increase their rating with a shill review, or if someone simply registered to complain and then would never be seen or heard from again (as most 1-post-count Flyertalkers do on the airline forums here)

Originally Posted by cedricgerald
Welcome to the end of democracy...
Democracy is what our government claims to be. Businesses are not democratic although you can vote with your wallet.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin
It was a stupid joke, and they are paying for it with bad publicity ... but to whom are they supposed to apologize? It doesn't appear that anyone was actually fined or attempted to be fined.
It was not a joke. They attempted to fine someone in Nov 2013, much before all this came to light.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/union-street...-c19Nmxt4r9X9w
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA MM
And now the news media have picked it up in their usual feeding frenzy and the story is all over the place. Spin control? oops.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I have little sympathy for them. The "haha, just kidding" excuse is as bad as "I was drunk". As the above linked review shows it's unlikely they were kidding and even if this was a joke, it was a really stupidly thought out one. This is 2014, everyone knows that news sites and websites like Buzzfeed, Happy Place, Reddit etc. love stuff like this and the consequences of making such a "joke" can only be negative.

As my Mom always said, don't say anything you wouldn't want on the front page of the New York Times
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by CMK10
I have little sympathy for them. The "haha, just kidding" excuse is as bad as "I was drunk".
They mayor of my current city frequently uses the "I was in my drunken stupor" excuses. Perhaps management happened to find themselves with a drug dealer and cocaine at the same time?

Seriously though, I don't get it. It is not possible to bully or cajole your way to a good review. There is only one correct response to a negative review:
Reach out the guest, figure out what wrong, and apologize. Then either try to find a way to make it right for that guest and/or use it as a learning experience to improve things going forward.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by leonidas
It was not a joke. They attempted to fine someone in Nov 2013, much before all this came to light.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/union-street...-c19Nmxt4r9X9w
I agree with this. If you look at their current cancellation policy, it's completely ridiculous, and such a fine would be in line with their "demanding" policies.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:32 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by FCfree
Assuming this was real, it is totally unenforceable. Imagine this ... you hold an event at the location. One of your guests posts something negative. How can YOU be held responsible for what they post? I would dispute any $500 charge on my credit card so fast. Let them try to collect it.
Not so fast... If it is part of your contract, you would have to demonstrate it was penal in nature and didn't represent a reasonable pre-estimate of loss - and for a hospitality business, I could easily see a negative review costing a business $500. Oh, and if you look at the current terms at http://www.unionstreetguesthouse.com...weddings.shtml, you will see that if you dispute charges, they say they will hang on to your deposit until it is resolved.

Originally Posted by CMK10
I have little sympathy for them. The "haha, just kidding" excuse is as bad as "I was drunk". As the above linked review shows it's unlikely they were kidding and even if this was a joke, it was a really stupidly thought out one. This is 2014, everyone knows that news sites and websites like Buzzfeed, Happy Place, Reddit etc. love stuff like this and the consequences of making such a "joke" can only be negative. As my Mom always said, don't say anything you wouldn't want on the front page of the New York Times
^ only more so. I have absolutely no sympathy for them at all

Originally Posted by diburning
I agree with this. If you look at their current cancellation policy, it's completely ridiculous, and such a fine would be in line with their "demanding" policies.
I agree - see the link I posted above.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 1:05 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
If a review is honest about what happened, it is protected free speech. Anyone trying to collect a fine as a result would have that thrown out in any court of law in the USA. Anyone trying to collect a fine as a result of someone ELSE's review would be laughed out of any court in the USA.

The fact that there is a review indicating that this property has done this previously suggests that their "it was kidding/a joke" is most likely an ex post facto attempt to revise history after the story got some publicity.

This property is getting exactly what it deserves. Its poor service got it bad reviews. Its reaction to the poor reviews was horrible, and it now is in the limelight as it deserves. Going out of business is a proper end to a bad business.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by happymom2008
The reviews on Yelp, mostly dated August 4th are very negative. If I made a review on Yelp and it was negative based on my stay there...which I review under an alias name for security reasons, how in the heck do they know who I am?

This just sounds like extortion and I would file a charge-back with my CC. Maybe the NY AG will get involved?
Doubt a chargeback would help if it's in an agreement you sign with them. AG wouldn't be much help as what's the violation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.