Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Getting to Johnstown, PA

Getting to Johnstown, PA

Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Another option: Book into PIT, and stay in a hotel near downtown. Then catch the morning Amtrak train from Pittsburgh to Johnstown. Leaves PIT 0730, arrives JST 0904. One-way advance purchase is $16.

[FWIW, I think Johnstown and central Pennsylvania is a perfectly nice place to live and work. To each his own.]
You're assuming the morning Amtrak will be on time!
Old Mar 8, 2014, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
PIT is a lot closer than IAD. Why not fly to PIT, overnight, and drive Monday morning? Take the 30 highway minutes to get on the other side of town Sunday night and you're looking at just over an hour. You'll be on more back-road traffic from IAD.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
PIT is a lot closer than IAD. Why not fly to PIT, overnight, and drive Monday morning? Take the 30 highway minutes to get on the other side of town Sunday night and you're looking at just over an hour. You'll be on more back-road traffic from IAD.
I assumed the OP was flying IAD to JST on one of the flights to JST. Last I knew, about the only commercial flights into JST were out of IAD, and the only direct flight from JST was to IAD.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by kipper
You're assuming the morning Amtrak will be on time!
Obviously, but the OP's current plan assumes the flight is on-time, too.

Amtrak train #42 had a 96.4% on-time performance in the month of February. Do you think the morning United flight from IAD to JST did that well during the month of February?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by kipper
I assumed the OP was flying IAD to JST on one of the flights to JST. Last I knew, about the only commercial flights into JST were out of IAD, and the only direct flight from JST was to IAD.
If so, that's a different option. I thought OP was proposing a flight to IAD and then a drive. The IAD-JST flight I see arriving at 10:30 has an Altoona stop on the way, making it a 7:30am'ish departure from an IAD hotel to get to the airport and take two flights - 3 hours. I'm not sure I wouldn't still go through PIT.

OP - looks like this is next Monday, what did you decide?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by CPRich
making it a 7:30am'ish departure from an IAD hotel to get to the airport and take two flights - 3 hours. I'm not sure I wouldn't still go through PIT.
OP won't be departing from an IAD hotel...the OP is connecting off of a red-eye from SEA.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:40 pm

How did the interview go, OP?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.