Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

PHL Old-style restaurants

Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

Bassets still in Reading Terminal. Agree that the Four Seasons Fountain room is an option that may cease with the move in 2017. McGillian's still exists on Drury and The Saloon is still around as well as The Melrose in South Philly.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
Of course the Olde Ale House on Drury, why didn't I think of that -- talk about old, that certainly qualifies; not exactly a foodie destination but for general appeal from another era, yes -- it definitely qualifies. And actually, the simple honest food sounds very appealing, can't recall if I ever ate there but would definitely give it a try now. And yes, the Italian ones are brilliant suggestions too, thank you for thinking of those, long may they prosper.

I went to the Bassetts webpage, they have been very restrained in their expansion outside the Delaware Valley, which is heartening I think -- they are controlling and guarding their great heritage. Not availalble in California for sure. BUT: they ship, insulated to stay cold until next morning delivery. I think I need to try that soon whether I get back to Reading Terminal or not...
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Well here's a small, slightly sad, update on Bassetts. Phoned them, wanted to send a gift shipment to Montreal, but was advised: no dice, they can't deal with Canadian customs to be sure it gets cleared same morning/day as arrival, so as to get it delivered same day before it melts. They can do like Seattle or Wyoming next day ex Philly, but not our NAFTA partner a couple of hundred miles away from them; so sad. BUMMER. But I get their reticence; who would want to consign precious frozen dairy product to a still foreign customs bureaucracy that would probably need to months to approve the paperwork and send it out for delivery.

Heads up to all you Delaware Valley/Eastern Canada entrepreneurs: this brilliant domestic family company probably just needs a capable agent/customs rep to smooth out these obstacles and help them grow. Will someone reading this hopefully find a way to MAKE THIS HAPPEN. I love Bassetts, can still taste their banana and rum raisin et al many years after the fact, and our Northern neighbors in Quebec and Ontario and beyond in Canada should be a grand market for this USA company, and enrich their own tables in the process...
Old Feb 9, 2014, 12:38 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by time2go1st
Heads up to all you Delaware Valley/Eastern Canada entrepreneurs: this brilliant domestic family company probably just needs a capable agent/customs rep to smooth out these obstacles and help them grow. Will someone reading this hopefully find a way to MAKE THIS HAPPEN. I love Bassetts, can still taste their banana and rum raisin et al many years after the fact, and our Northern neighbors in Quebec and Ontario and beyond in Canada should be a grand market for this USA company, and enrich their own tables in the process...
So they do have shipping containers that will keep the ice cream frozen for 8-10 hours? So depending on how desperate you are for their heavenly rum raisin, maybe you can handsomely reward an enterprising Philly local to drive up and meet you just below the Canadian border for the hand off of the valuable merchandise!
Old Feb 10, 2014, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
So they do have shipping containers that will keep the ice cream frozen for 8-10 hours? So depending on how desperate you are for their heavenly rum raisin, maybe you can handsomely reward an enterprising Philly local to drive up and meet you just below the Canadian border for the hand off of the valuable merchandise!
Yes they do have a dry ice or other packaging that keeps the contents in a frozen state at least over night; shipping recipient must be available to accept delivery at 10:30 on the morning following dispatch, or frozen-ness not assured.

As for the Canadian angle -- well not for me this time, wanted to send it as a gift. However I do like your idea, could actually be the start of a rum-raisin-running operation with huge potential!

PS, what is your favorite restaurant (or two) within an easy walk of Rittenhouse Square itself? What now occupies the former La Panetiere location which I think was at 16th and Locust? is that elegant old building even still there?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by time2go1st
PS, what is your favorite restaurant (or two) within an easy walk of Rittenhouse Square itself? What now occupies the former La Panetiere location which I think was at 16th and Locust? is that elegant old building even still there?
The space at 16th and Locust is now a Mexican restaurant. I can't vouch for it as I've never been there (not a huge Mexican food fan).

Of course the Rittenhouse area is full of excellent restaurants. Three of my favorites are:
Dandelion Pub (authentic British Pub) - http://thedandelionpub.com
Twenty Manning (great neighborhood bistro) - http://www.twentymanning.com/home.html
Parc (very popular French bistro) - http://www.parc-restaurant.com
Old Feb 13, 2014, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

The space at 16th and Locust is now a Mexican restaurant. I can't vouch for it as I've never been there (not a huge Mexican food fan).

Of course the Rittenhouse area is full of excellent restaurants. Three of my favorites are:
Twenty Manning (great neighborhood bistro) - http://www.twentymanning.com/home.html
Thanks very much for those recommendations -- if I myself end up not able to be there to try them soon, I'll pass on to someone who will and will appreciate them.

Somehow I can't visualize 16th and Locust as Mexican! seems all wrong somehow; well maybe if the most upscale thing you might find in Mexico City then just maybe -- but the place always whispered European finesse to me, hardly like anything in this hemisphere...
Old Feb 14, 2014, 5:41 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

If you're talking about that "Tequilas" restaurant it's not worth your time. I am a much bigger fan of Distrito, Lolita and El Vez. I read a glowing review of it so I sought it out but the place was a huge disappointment - ambiance was decent but the food was meh bordering on yuck. If you aren't a fan of Mexican that place will really kill it for you. Good drinks though.

Dandelion and Parc are some of my favorites. I will be sure to check out Twenty Manning. Thank you for the reccs!
Old Feb 14, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

Agree with above -Dandelion and Parc are my favorites -everyone loves them and I like that they take reservations for solo diners w/o issue as I go there frequently. I have my favorite restaurants in the area as well as burgers on my website (same as user name)
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Bassetts

Well as a little update, I did order the six-pack of pints packed in dry ice; it arrived impeccably frozen here in Southern California, as indeed it should have -- shipping cost exceeded that of the product itself, but what can you do about that, it is what it is if you want the real deal.

My gift recipients were suitably pleased and flattered at the result and an authentic taste of Philly delivered to them. Basic Chocolate and French Vanilla got raves, and my own sample of sublime Banana did not disappoint either. Highly recommended -- but do check ingredients, some have artificial flavors, if that is an issue; rum raisin a no-go for that reason if I recall right. It seems to be that fundamental contribution of very high butter fat that carries the flavors straight onto the pallette that makes all the difference. Wouldn't/couldn't want it every day, but when you do want it, brother does it work.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:00 pm

I have enjoyed eating at the Guard House, located in a very close-in suburb of Philadelphia.

http://www.guardhouseinn.com/docs/history.html

The food is very well prepared, and the old age of the building is confirmed by the very low ceilings and general lay-out. It also has a nice small bar (usually with what look like a few regulars as well as non-regulars), and a couple of smallish dining rooms.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 3:18 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by bemusedv
I have enjoyed eating at the Guard House, located in a very close-in suburb of Philadelphia.
I really like the looks of that place - it looks like it is not horribly accessible via public transit, however I wonder if I can bribe one of my friends with a car with free dinner when I am there next week...
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Consultette
I really like the looks of that place - it looks like it is not horribly accessible via public transit, however I wonder if I can bribe one of my friends with a car with free dinner when I am there next week...
What little bus service there is to Gladwyne is geared towards commuters to and from the city. I think your best bet, absent a friend with a car, would be to take regional rail (Paoli-Thorndale line) to Bryn Mawr and get a cab there. There are usually cabs sitting outside the Bryn Mawr station.

If I am in town, and you're buying for me and the Mrs., I would be happy to pick you up at a SEPTA station of your choice, as I live 10-15 minutes from the Guard House
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:20 am

Not sure if the OP is familiar with Saloon--an Italian Steakhouse in South Philly pushing its 50th year in business--and still going strong. Highly recommended for the odd (and indeed old school) experience--not to mention the Manhattans.

To those posting about City Tavern--from a locals perspective, it doesn't even blip on the radar--it's almost exclusively for tourists. Philly's restaurant scene is hard to categorize as anything but explosive--James Beard Award winning chefs, Iron Chefs, Top Chef winners--all are competing neck and neck--so if you're in town I'd recommend exploring the options. There's a reason those stuffy classics closed--they just simply weren't as good (or were too overpriced) to compete with the new wave of talent.

A good starting place:
http://www.phillymag.com/articles/50...2/#gallery-1-1
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHLondoner
To those posting about City Tavern--from a locals perspective, it doesn't even blip on the radar--it's almost exclusively for tourists.
Aha -- was going to say that myself initially -- not classic in any sense for those who live there, even though the site, menu etc. are historic several times over! I don't think locals ever go there, unless they have out-of-towners visiting and feel obliged to take them there.

As to the Saloon, yes I do recall it, but more as a classic (and very good) red-sauce type establishment; from looking at their page, it looks like they have upscaled it beyond recognition -- still has a nice old-school feel to it though it looks like, bravo to them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.