Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Philadelphia hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Best Philadelphia hotel?

I've got an upcoming trip to center city Philadelphia and effectively all the hotels are the same price (negotiated rate).

I don't have hotel status (I rarely get to control where I stay). I'll be there 3 nights and would consider moving if its worth the loyal benefits.

Where would you stay?
Le meridian and Hotel palomar seem to top my brief research.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Rittenhouse is nice, although I haven't been in there for a while. The Hyatt is in a stunning historic building, as is the RC. I do not like the Four Seasons or its location. Also avoid the Latham (small rooms in need of renovation).

In West Philly, there's an independent hotel on the edge of the Penn campus (NOT the one near the hospital), IIRC on Sansom Street that looks nice. (Not Center City.)

Society Hill has a chain hotel or two that are considered good. Sheraton? It's a fun area, but hardly Center City.

On Market Street, almost across from the convention Marriott around 10th Street, there's a Loews. I'm not a fan, but some like its style (in a 1960s era former bank office building).
Old Sep 10, 2013, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

I've heard complaints about the RC service, though it's hard to tell if that's relative to alternatives or other RCs. I also tend to be underwhelmed by (being inside) stunning historic buildings.

The Inn at Penn on Sansom seemed nice last time I was there (years ago), but I've never actually stayed there. But I'm not sure I'd recommend it to someone who wasn't headed to west philly or university city. It's now apparently run by Hilton. For good or bad it's effectively Penn's go to hotel as the one near the hospital has been practically turned into doctor's offices.

At this point I'd rather stay more towards Center than society hill.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:41 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I've stayed at the Hotel Palomar and at the Hotel Monaco previously. Both were very nice, but IIRC, the Palomar's bar was just selected as one of the best hotel bars or some such.

I'd stay at both again, although as we usually travel with our dogs, the Monaco is a better option for us, as they have a park across the street, so it was much easier for the dogs to wait to do their thing.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Haven't been to any of them for a little while. Rittenhouse used to be my favorite, but is apparently quite dated now. I do love the physical plant of the RC, but the FS (although dated, too) is still an FS.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
I'd stay at the Four Seasons, Rittenhouse or Ritz Carlton or the Hotels Palomar and Monaco. Personally, I think the Rittenhouse or Hotel Palomar are in the best locations. A previous poster said the Latham was in need of renovation - in fact they recently completed a top to bottom renovation of this hotel, but it is still not as full service as the more high end hotels
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Best Philadelphia hotel?

My favorites are Sofitel (have corp agreement with them for staff/clients) and Hotel Palomar - great location in Rittenhouse area across from each other. The Rittenhouse Hotel has changed owners (canceled our contract) and slowly renovating the rooms-common spaces new.
I like Westin instead of Le Meridian (deserted area at night) on 17th w/Sofitel/Palomar
Happy to help w/any other Philly queries
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think the Hyatt at the Bellevue should be on the list, although its rooms are variable. It's a stunning historic property with a fun restaurant and bar on top. The hotel is attached to a very serious health club, but expect more of a gym than a luxurious pool.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 7:31 am

Philadelphia does not have one hotel that stands out in all respects....a trade off is usually involved. In terms of location, the Rittenhouse is superb, but the rooms are a bit dated and the hotel/condo vibe puts me off. I was standing next to a luggage cart of a resident's groceries when I checked in last time.

The Four Seasons (our choice) has the best service but the location is a few blocks out of the way unless you plan a museum intensive visit. Rooms could also use freshening up. And it's the most expensive.

The Sofitel works if a decent location and rooms are all you care about - we always find the service indifferent at best. Have only stayed at Palomar once - it's across the street from Sofitel. Our room was small and noisy, but that could have been bad luck. Same for RC - lobby is gorgeous but our room was dark and old.

Don't like Le Meridien location at night and find the Westin a typical Westin - big and corporate.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
We have been staying at the Sofitel our last several visits. I usually find them a good combination of price and quality. The last few times, I've felt like their rooms are getting a bit tired. We are trying the Monaco for our upcoming visit...would have liked the location of the Palomar better (across the street from Sofitel and in the old AIA building), but they were pretty booked up the weekend of our upcoming visit.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 9:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Best Philadelphia hotel?

The Sofitel has just done a renovation of its rooms - it should be done by now -I toured the new rooms a few months ago and they were pretty nice updates
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Philatravelgirl
The Sofitel has just done a renovation of its rooms - it should be done by now -I toured the new rooms a few months ago and they were pretty nice updates
We got hooked on the location of the Sofitel a couple of years ago. The rooms were a bit tired and during our recent trip, we were in an updated room and I thought it was attractive.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I was just in the Sofitel over the weekend. In the past, I've stayed at other Philly hotels including the Bellevue (Hyatt), FS, Palomar, and Inn at Penn.

If you want to be on campus, the Inn is your best choice and, while it's not a true luxury hotel, it's very good and has very good service.

If you want to be more in Center City, the location of the hotel isn't really key because each of the properties discussed here is near something you'll probably end up visiting.

I've most recently stayed at the FS, Palomar, and Sofitel (as mentioned). If you think the FS is out of the way, it's a five-minute walk from the Sofitel (faster to walk than to drive).

All three are solid and service is typically excellent at all three.

The service at the Palomar was beyond my expectations and I'll quote from a review I wrote of the hotel in Frequent Business Traveler:

I woke up feeling under the weather and asked for a late checkout so I could get some work done and build up energy for the two-hour drive home. About half an hour after I spoke to the front desk (and the front desk clerk was gracious and accommodating about the checkout request), room service was at my door with what was essentially a care package, including tea, toast and fresh fruit.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:53 am

The Marriott has a good location and is connected to the convention center, the courtyard and Residence in are right on the square.

I do love the location of the RC.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by lapo1234
The Marriott has a good location and is connected to the convention center, the courtyard and Residence in are right on the square.

I do love the location of the RC.
OP has probably already had their trip - but one qualm I have with any of the Marriott properties in Philadelphia is that it is hard enough for Platinum members to get a decent room and proper service, I doubt that someone with no status would enjoy the place.

Even with a standard room, it is well above some of the other hotels in the city but I would not expect stellar treatment at any of the Marriott properties without status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.