Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Amish Tours in Lancaster PA

Amish Tours in Lancaster PA

Old Apr 15, 2013, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
http://www.kutztownfestival.com/

Went with jackal last year. fun event but too damn hot

Great food, Birch Beer, and interesting displays .

Even brought home some tasty fresh baked bread.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 6:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Twice a year, there's a Best Kept Secrets of Lancaster County tour. It features shops that are definitely off of the beaten path. They also host Berks County and Lebanon County tours, and it's well worth the $7 for the ticket/shop list. You get to visit a lot of local, small businesses, and you really get to see a lot of the county, including Amish.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by kipper
Twice a year, there's a Best Kept Secrets of Lancaster County tour. It features shops that are definitely off of the beaten path. They also host Berks County and Lebanon County tours, and it's well worth the $7 for the ticket/shop list. You get to visit a lot of local, small businesses, and you really get to see a lot of the county, including Amish.
Looks like it's happening now?

I have family in town and they'd probably enjoy this. The website is sparse on details. Is it actually going on now or is now just the ticket sale period?

Hmm, might have to email the address on that page...

Edit: Oh, I see--it's not like a guided tour but rather a list of things to see and do (and places to shop). Will email now.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by jackal
Looks like it's happening now?

I have family in town and they'd probably enjoy this. The website is sparse on details. Is it actually going on now or is now just the ticket sale period?

Hmm, might have to email the address on that page...

Edit: Oh, I see--it's not like a guided tour but rather a list of things to see and do (and places to shop). Will email now.
It's a self-tour. My mother and I did most of it last weekend and had a blast. All of the participating merchants sell tickets, so you can stop by and pick up tickets if you'd like. They're $7/person, and that gets you the list of shops, special coupons, etc. It's a great way to see much of Lancaster County that would otherwise stay hidden.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:19 pm

It's a self-tour. My mother and I did most of it last weekend and had a blast. All of the participating merchants sell tickets, so you can stop by and pick up tickets if you'd like. They're $7/person, and that gets you the list of shops, special coupons, etc. It's a great way to see much of Lancaster County that would otherwise stay hidden.

Does each person need a ticket or will one for the car load do it?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JayBrian
We bought two (one for each of us), but what we've found is that none of the businesses actually enforce it--actually, in most cases, if you just mention that you're "on the tour" (no need to even bring the pink book inside or wear the neon-green "VIP" bracelet), they'll give everyone in your party a ticket to fill out for the drawing that each business will run at the end and give everyone whatever sample they're offering. It's all pretty low-key.

The book does come with coupons in the back, but only one out of the 10 or so businesses we've visited so far has marked the coupon as used, and most coupons are for a percentage off rather than a dollar-figure, so you end up just getting the percentage off for everyone in your party.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by JayBrian
You're supposed to buy one for each person, but it's not really enforced.
We bought two (one for each of us), but what we've found is that none of the businesses actually enforce it--actually, in most cases, if you just mention that you're "on the tour" (no need to even bring the pink book inside or wear the neon-green "VIP" bracelet), they'll give everyone in your party a ticket to fill out for the drawing that each business will run at the end and give everyone whatever sample they're offering. It's all pretty low-key.

The book does come with coupons in the back, but only one out of the 10 or so businesses we've visited so far has marked the coupon as used, and most coupons are for a percentage off rather than a dollar-figure, so you end up just getting the percentage off for everyone in your party.
I found a few places that wanted to see the bracelet, but not many. DeLyn's was very much into the, "keep the free coupon and visit us multiple days," while Dosie Dough scratched out the free coupon when we used it.

If anyone cares, they also have a Berks County Tour, and IIRC, tours in Chester and Northampton Counties as well.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found a few places that wanted to see the bracelet, but not many. DeLyn's was very much into the, "keep the free coupon and visit us multiple days," while Dosie Dough scratched out the free coupon when we used it.
Don't give away all of the businesses!

IIRC, Dosie Dough was the only one who Xed out my coupon. The salted dark chocolate caramel I bought from there and ate earlier today was HEAVENLY...

On the recommendation of a friend, we opted to eat lunch at a place in Lititz that is a glaring omission from the tour: Tomato Pie Cafe. If you haven't gone, proceed there immediately--do not pass Go, do not collect $200. The tomato pie is out of this world heavenly. Good coffee, too (better than the stuff at Dosie Dough, if you ask me).

They also had a lemon in white balsamic vinegar from Olio on the tables. Of course, we promptly headed up the street to Olio (dang, I gave away another "secret" business ) and bought a six-pack of some amazing stuff. I way overdosed on olive oil there--with 50 different kinds to sample, I couldn't stop!

A couple of other highlights we uncovered this week:

-Green Market Company in Mount Joy: not on the tour (but next door to a business that is), but absolutely worth lunching at. Some of the best soups and sandwiches (all organic) I've ever had.
-September Farm Cheese: LOVE their Amish Butter Cheese and their three-year aged cheddar. Mmm!

So, maybe my line that I tell people that there is nothing to do in Lancaster County might not be completely true...

Last edited by jackal; Apr 22, 2013 at 10:30 pm
Old Apr 23, 2013, 2:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

On the recommendation of a friend, we opted to eat lunch at a place in Lititz that is a glaring omission from the tour: Tomato Pie Cafe. If you haven't gone, proceed there immediately--do not pass Go, do not collect $200. The tomato pie is out of this world heavenly. Good coffee, too (better than the stuff at Dosie Dough, if you ask me).
Wonder how this compares to the Tomato Pie that Costco carries?

So, maybe my line that I tell people that there is nothing to do in Lancaster County might not be completely true...
Just be sure to bring a cooler- lots of tasty things to bring home :-:
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:07 am

Don't give away all of the businesses!

IIRC, Dosie Dough was the only one who Xed out my coupon. The salted dark chocolate caramel I bought from there and ate earlier today was HEAVENLY...

They also had a lemon in white balsamic vinegar from Olio on the tables. Of course, we promptly headed up the street to Olio (dang, I gave away another "secret" business ) and bought a six-pack of some amazing stuff. I way overdosed on olive oil there--with 50 different kinds to sample, I couldn't stop!

A couple of other highlights we uncovered this week:

-Green Market Company in Mount Joy: not on the tour (but next door to a business that is), but absolutely worth lunching at. Some of the best soups and sandwiches (all organic) I've ever had.
-September Farm Cheese: LOVE their Amish Butter Cheese and their three-year aged cheddar. Mmm!

LOL, I know, I know... I'm pondering hitting a few of the shops on the 21st and 27th, as I missed 8 or so last weekend. Well, that and I could definitely agree to another trip to September Farm Cheese. Did you try their Pepperoni Augusto Jack? I still have their Chili Pepper Cheddar in the fridge, probably because I hid it from Mr. Kipper. My mother and I stopped there last Saturday, and for dinner that evening, had cheese, crackers, and wine.

A shop that was on the tour in the fall, Village Farm Market in Ephrata, has some very yummy soups and desserts.

See, you can find things to do in Lancaster County!
Originally Posted by beckoa
Just be sure to bring a cooler- lots of tasty things to bring home :-:
This is true. Bring a large cooler!
Old Apr 26, 2013, 2:51 am

I've had to upgrade mine to one with wheels from Costco :-:

Soo much better than lugging around one w/ no handles or wheels although this one does weigh in about 5 lbs heavier

Oh and to keep the topic on Amish- there are several stores that have Amish buggy parking which are fun to observe
Old Apr 26, 2013, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
I've had to upgrade mine to one with wheels from Costco :-:

Soo much better than lugging around one w/ no handles or wheels although this one does weigh in about 5 lbs heavier

Oh and to keep the topic on Amish- there are several stores that have Amish buggy parking which are fun to observe
I don't mind carrying my cooler most times, although it can be very heavy.

You can even occasionally see Amish parked in those areas.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can even occasionally see Amish parked in those areas.
No Amish at Target the other day. Lots of fresh poop in the stalls, though.

The horse stalls! What did you think I was talking about!

A buggy was parked in the Costco stall that same day, though.
Old May 6, 2013, 6:40 am

Mr. Kipper and I stopped at September Farm Cheese on Saturday.

If you are semi-local to their store, I suggest spending $1.50 to purchase their reusable shopping bag. You receive a pin each time you bring it to the store and make a purchase. After 5 purchases, you receive 1 free 8 oz. bar of cheese.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:31 pm

See, you can find things to do in Lancaster County!
What we do in Lancaster County:

1. Eat interesting and tasty local foods
2. Buy more interesting and tasty local foods to take home
3. Buy new shoes at the outlet mall (I have a teenaged son who is currently outgrowing his shoes every 2 months)
4. Peruse the quilt shops on the back roads.

I like the California Innovations model with the removable wheels/handle cart.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.