Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Jersey Beaches for Kids

Jersey Beaches for Kids

Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Jersey Beaches for Kids

I grew up in SE PA, and went to Wildwood and occasionally Atlantic City a lot - I remember those as great beach places for kids, lots of kid-themed attractions at night. Is that still the case? I have a friend who wants to take his wife and two young children (2 and 4, I think) to the beach. He's thinking of Florida, is South Jersey still a good choice? Looking for someone who's been there recently. I kind of hate Atlantic City, but was thinking of someplace like Wildwood or Ocean City? Also, what about similar beaches in Delaware and Maryland?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Your friend wants to go to Florida beaches in the summer? Does he want to swim in the ocean whose temperature is that of a hot bath? Ocean City, NJ is dry; it's family friendly if you're definition involves no bars, taverns, or the like. http://www.oceancityvacation.com/
Old Jun 28, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA GfL
If you're looking for rides, miniature golf, skee-ball, etc. then Wildwood is still a very good place, as are Seaside Heights and Ocean City. Wildwood is pretty trashy, but if you like that sort of thing, it is for you. (I was born and raised on the Jersey shore, so I personally embrace the trashiness!) Ocean City is much more family-oriented, and Seaside is sort of in the middle.

There are other places that are "family-friendly" in a different way, that is, sober, quiet and without the rides and bars. Places like Avalon and Spring Lake fit this description.

In Delaware, Rehoboth Beach is on the louder side, Bethany/Lewes are more quiet, and Dewey Beach is, shall we say, not the best place to bring small kids as it has a vibe of of Animal House on the Atlantic.

In Maryland, Ocean City (yes, another Ocean City) is full of rides and skee-ball. It is just over the state line from Delaware.

I too would stay far away from Florida in the summer. Yuck.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: Alas, not enough to earn miles
I vote for Cape May.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Cape May is also very nice. It doesn't have the kind of boardwalk attractions that Wildwood/Seaside Heights/OC do, but the beach is great. In fact I will be there next week--thank God, I have a friend who lives there so I don't have to shell out for a hotel, because it is not cheap!
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:20 am

Since you're taking kids, my vote would be either North Wildwood or Ocean City, NJ.

North Wildwood is a little quieter and a little less trashy than Wildwood, but you can still easily get to the boardwalk and all of the stores in Wildwood and Rio Grande. (my grandmother has lived in North Wildwood my whole life, so I'm a bit biased )

Ocean City for all of the reasons above (still being dry/having a boardwalk).
Old Jul 8, 2012, 6:07 am

Try Stone Harbor - The beach is great - a nice downtown Main Street with nice stores, mini golf, etc Just over the bridge from Wildwood and the great boardwalk for a night or 2. And the beach is walkable from anywhere in town.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.