Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

What to do in Baltimore and Washington, DC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do in Baltimore and Washington, DC?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2012, 5:19 pm

biking in DC? You can take bikes on metro at certain times. check the metro website for details. It's a great way to extend your trips.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by slawecki
i thought the W&OD trail was paved, and ran all the way from the potomac to purcelleville, including bridges over i66 and i95.

the mt vernon trail runs beside the potomac from dc (va) to mt vernon. the trail does go through streets in alexandria(i think). there is a spur over the wilson bridge with great views of dc . do not continue into ft washington. there is no bike trail.

these guys maintain a list:http://bikewashington.org/trails/index.htm
The WOD is fully paved, but the C&O is all hardpack and/or gravel. Insofar as the MV, it does have a break in Old Town, but it is moderately well signed. The MV is a nightmare to ride on weekends, due to extremely heavy traffic.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by brendog
The WOD is fully paved, but the C&O is all hardpack and/or gravel. Insofar as the MV, it does have a break in Old Town, but it is moderately well signed. The MV is a nightmare to ride on weekends, due to extremely heavy traffic.
The WO&D is fully paved, but does have a lot of intersections. The C&O is excellent, although 1) you don't want a road bike if you can help it - much better suited to a cross or at least wider tires; 2) the pedestrians for a mile or two aound Great Falls can be a hazard (granted, some of the clueless bikers can be too!). Be prepared to go slow, and just expect them to step in front of you at the last minute.

Also, while I would hope that it goes without saying, the C&O requires that you wear a bike helmet and that you have & use a bike bell to warn pedestrians of your approach (National Park rules, they have rangers riding the trail and you will get a citation). On the WO&D, it's more customary to say "On your left" instead of the bell, but I do both. And of course, when you stop pull your bike off the trail. (Yes, girl who stopped your bike perpedicular on the trail to chat while I was jogging, I'm talking to YOU - I saw three near pile ups! )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.