Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Noise prompts Monroeville restaurant to ban kids under 6

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2011, 1:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Noise prompts Monroeville restaurant to ban kids under 6

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_746065.html

A restaurant in Monroeville says it's no longer allowing children under age 6.

McDain's Restaurant and Golf Center says the new policy will take effect July 16.
The restaurant is outside of PIT. I've dined there a few times, although years ago. Last I knew, their dining and bar areas share a room, and the room is very open. It was a fairly small room, probably seating 50 at most, in its normal configuration, IIRC.

Thoughts on this?

My thoughts are that I'd enjoy going there more often now, and will probably make it a point to visit the next time I'm in PIT. Honestly, I wish more restaurants at least offered no-children sections, much like they did with smoking/non-smoking sections.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
A morning drive show in DC spent their whole show talking about this. Personally, I have three kids and am fine with this. I'll just eat somewhere else when I'm with the kids.

OTOH, when I am on a $59 WN to MCO, don't give me dirty looks because my kids are talking.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
It's the restaurant's right to do this, so I've got no complaint about it. I'd just eat elsewhere, with our without my kids.

I will say that I applaud management's decision to be forthright about its feelings on the topic. Too often I've gone into run-of-the-mill (i.e., not fancy where children wouldn't ordinarily be guests) restaurants with my kids only to get some snide comment from the host/hostess/manager/owner. In at least one case, we all turned on our heels and left based on some sarcastic comment made by the staff about dining with children. If management doesn't want to host them, just adopt this place's policy.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:45 pm
Suspended

I also support "No kids" pools at hotels.

It never fails that the kids absolutely dominate the pool, get hyperactive, and keep those unlucky enough to have a room facing the pool well and truly annoyed until well after bedtime.

I don't care how "hard" it is to travel with kids. It's not my problem, it's yours. Don't make it anyone elses.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinworm
I also support "No kids" pools at hotels.

It never fails that the kids absolutely dominate the pool, get hyperactive, and keep those unlucky enough to have a room facing the pool well and truly annoyed until well after bedtime.

I don't care how "hard" it is to travel with kids. It's not my problem, it's yours. Don't make it anyone elses.
I'd support a child fee at hotels, much like the pet fee that one has to pay at many hotels if you want to travel with your pets.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, UA 2P
next time in PIT, I might make a specific trip to shake the owner hand for doing this
Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: United Airlines, Delta, Spirit, Southwest, Hertz, Marriott, Starwood
I don't see the problem with this. i think that the parents with children that are not acting appropriate in a restaurant should take them outside till they settle down. Now i do want to try this place to see how well they are keeping to their own rule, and to see how the food is.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:56 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Sprout in Chicago has a no-kids policy (ages 12 and above welcome) at brunch, at least.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_834051.html
Old Aug 27, 2011, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
^

I support this restaurant and other establishments that place limits on child admittance. Parents don't know how to parent these days, so I would rather have these rules in place beforehand.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kipper
I'd support a child fee at hotels, much like the pet fee that one has to pay at many hotels if you want to travel with your pets.
It makes sense, not only for the pool and the way they ruin the dining, but because they wet the beds.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 7:10 am
Original Poster

It makes sense, not only for the pool and the way they ruin the dining, but because they wet the beds.
That's a good point! I never thought about that, but it's true.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so do old people.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Kids would be happier at Eat'n Park anyway. Don't they get free cookies or something there?
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Kids would be happier at Eat'n Park anyway. Don't they get free cookies or something there?
LOL, this is true. Eat 'n Park does give free smiley cookies to kids.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 4:24 am

Restaurant owner Mike Vuick said there's "nothing wrong with babies, but the fact is you can't control their volume." He said all that screaming and crying disturbs many of his customers.
If parents refuse to control their kids, the restaurant owner had no choice as these parents were causing him to lose business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.