Cheap bus travel between Ithaca and NYC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap bus travel between Ithaca and NYC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by guv1976
Another option to consider -- though not as cheap as a trip with the cheapest Megabus fares -- is Greyhound's Internet fare between NYC and Ithaca. Looks like a fare of ~$32 one way is offered. And Greyhound's 2:45 PM departure from NYC's Port Authority Bus Terminal to Ithaca's State Street Terminal takes about 20 minutes less time than the typical Short Line trip. But, unlike Short Line, Greyhound does not offer any stops on the Cornell campus.
In case anyone is skittish about Greyhound -- I have used Greyhound in the NE / Mid-Atlantic several times in the past couple of years, always getting great Internet fares ($1.00 Boston-New York, $7.00 New York-Philly, $34.00 roundtrip Washington-Boston, etc.), and always scoring newer buses with comfortable seats and wifi, and mostly on-time trips. They have upped their game in the region and it's a really viable option now.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Just wanted to update this old thread to point out that Megabus is now selling tickets between Ithaca and Manhattan; one no longer needs to buy a separate Short Line ticket between Ithaca and Binghamton. (I did start a separate thread about the new service.)

i recently purchased a Megabus roundtrip for February travel between Ithaca and Manhattan for $4.50: $1 each way, plus a $2.50 booking fee.

Megabus no longer extends its booking window every day at Midnight; instead, Megabus now extends the booking window periodically. Megabus users will receive an email announcing the extension of the booking window. Your best chance of securing cheap Megabus tickets -- especially on the Ithaca-Manhattan route -- is to book promptly once the booking window opens (assuming that you can plan that far in advance).
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A further update is that if you're traveling at times around the beginning or end of the semester or at Cornell vacation periods, there are additional options. IIRC this started with the student union essentially organizing the selling of tickets for buses they chartered (arriving and departing from campus) but I believed it morphed into a small business operated by some (former by now?) students and I don't know whether it's still done on some sort of a charter basis. I've seen ads for it, probably in the "student" newspaper, and posters/notices on campus. I hope they're still in business.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A further update is that if you're traveling at times around the beginning or end of the semester or at Cornell vacation periods, there are additional options. IIRC this started with the student union essentially organizing the selling of tickets for buses they chartered (arriving and departing from campus) but I believed it morphed into a small business operated by some (former by now?) students and I don't know whether it's still done on some sort of a charter basis. I've seen ads for it, probably in the "student" newspaper, and posters/notices on campus. I hope they're still in business.
I would be very surprised to find inexpensive fares between Ithaca and Manhattan on any bus company at the beginning or end of an academic semester.

The newest entrants on the Ithaca-Manhattan route are: Big Red Bullet (which recently had a crash that killed a Cornell alumna who was a passenger), and OurBus. I believe that Big Red Bullet was founded by a Cornell Business School alumnus.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:58 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes, the group is called Student Agencies, which runs a variety of charter bus routes around Cornell breaks and the start/end of semesters. Schedule here: https://www.studentagencies.com/2017...academic-year/ and details here: https://www.studentagencies.com/char...-from-cornell/. While the service looks targeted for current Cornell students, the FAQ says that the tickets are open for anyone to purchase.

(The Student Agencies company still seems to be doing well based on their website; they certainly were doing well around 5+ years ago when I was there!)
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Fall, 2019, update

The Big Red Bullet service is no more.

OurBus continues to offer service from Downtown Ithaca to Manhattan and to a number of other Northeast cities.

When OurBus fares for Ithaca-Manhattan or Manhattan-Ithaca are high, it can be worthwhile to price the trip as two separate tickets on the same bus, i.e., Ithaca-Binghamton and Binghamton-Manhattan (or vice versa). Sometimes, combining two tickets will yield a lower total price than buying a single ticket on the same bus.
GUWonder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.