Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westfield, NJ to Lancaster, PA Thursday evening

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Westfield, NJ to Lancaster, PA Thursday evening

I'm looking for advice on which way to go at about 3:30pm on a Thursday (not Thanksgiving week) from Westfield, NJ to Lancaster, PA.

There seem to be at least 3 main ways with several options for each.

1. GSP to I-95 to I-276 to I-76 to Route 222

2. I-78 to Route 222

3. I-78 to route 501

Option 1 has the longest stretch on a major highway but involves going through the Philadelphia area at rush hour which could significantly delay the trip.

Option 2 has a long stretch on Route 222 which I don't know how fast you can go on, if there are traffic lights etc...

Option 3 has the longest stretch on the highway without going through Philadelphia but involves 25+ miles on Route 501 with a few jogs and turns. It will be dark so there is a chance of getting lost or off-track since I'm not familiar with this road (or Route 222).

Anyone know these roads?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Option #2. Rt 222 has some highway but the areas without them are not heavily laden with traffic lights.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 6:22 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
None of them are ideal options but I think you'll be okay.

I wouldn't consider any part of the PA turnpike (I-276 and I-76) to be going "through" Philly but you ~could~ encounter heavy, and slow, traffic from Jersey through possibly the Valley Forge exit based on the times you'd be driving through.

I don't know 501 at all.

And the problem of 222 is that you can get the best and worst of both 4-lane highway and 2-lane back road and everything in between.

I think I-78 is your best bet to begin your trip but that leaves you with the 222 and 501 options.

I'm torn between option 1 and option 2 but I think I go with option 2.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:01 am

Programs: AA, DL
Greetings fellow Flyertalker I am from Scotch Plains!

Anyway in terms of route I would do option 2. I drive from Scotch Plains to Reading fairly oftent. As long as you miss the school bus traffic you should be ok on 222. It is a little slow as it is 1 lane each way in parts and there are quite a few lights. It really is hit or miss but there is no better way in my opinion to get to the Lancaster area. I can usually make Reading in 2 hours when I leave at 7am on a weekday.

Safe travels!
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bitburgr
None of them are ideal options but I think you'll be okay.

I wouldn't consider any part of the PA turnpike (I-276 and I-76) to be going "through" Philly but you ~could~ encounter heavy, and slow, traffic from Jersey through possibly the Valley Forge exit based on the times you'd be driving through.

I don't know 501 at all.

And the problem of 222 is that you can get the best and worst of both 4-lane highway and 2-lane back road and everything in between.

I think I-78 is your best bet to begin your trip but that leaves you with the 222 and 501 options.

I'm torn between option 1 and option 2 but I think I go with option 2.

Thanks for the tips so far, keep them coming. FWIW... I don't consider the PA Turnpike Philly either. I called it the "Philadelphia area" to indicate suburbs, and outlying areas.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:21 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Let me propose another option... I-78 to I-81, to I-283.

It's not the most direct, but given that 222 is, or recently was under construction, and the portions of 222 that are two lane can get pretty congested, it might be the better option. You might hit some leftover rush hour traffic around Harrisburg, but nothing too bad.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
Let me propose another option... I-78 to I-81, to I-283.

It's not the most direct, but given that 222 is, or recently was under construction, and the portions of 222 that are two lane can get pretty congested, it might be the better option. You might hit some leftover rush hour traffic around Harrisburg, but nothing too bad.
That's taking the OP all the way out near Harrisburg. That's not what I would do. PA roads are ALWAYS under construction it seems.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
That's taking the OP all the way out near Harrisburg. That's not what I would do. PA roads are ALWAYS under construction it seems.
Having driven 222 from Lancaster to 78 to get to New Jersey just 2 weeks ago, I'd opt for going up to 81 to 78, rather than take 222 again. But, I'd rather go a bit out of my way and keep moving, rather than spend ages sitting in traffic trying to merge onto a two lane road or deal with construction.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 1:49 pm

I've driven that route on summer days mostly and didn't find 222 bad at all. I guess it all depends on what we consider to be bad traffic. If we're moving at a decent pace, who cares that there's traffic on the road. That's my approach as someone accustomed to bumper-to-bumper NYC traffic.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
I've driven that route on summer days mostly and didn't find 222 bad at all. I guess it all depends on what we consider to be bad traffic. If we're moving at a decent pace, who cares that there's traffic on the road. That's my approach as someone accustomed to bumper-to-bumper NYC traffic.
When was the last time you drove that way? I drove it about a month ago, and it wasn't moving at a decent pace.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by spike74
I'm looking for advice on which way to go at about 3:30pm on a Thursday (not Thanksgiving week) from Westfield, NJ to Lancaster, PA.

There seem to be at least 3 main ways with several options for each.

1. GSP to I-95 to I-276 to I-76 to Route 222

2. I-78 to Route 222

3. I-78 to route 501
Definitely NOT Option 3. Hwy 501 is scenic...good for a leisurely drive but NOT if time is an issue. I've personally had reasonable luck with Hwy 222. And, with Option #1 you pay a lot in tolls, which can be avoided entirely except for the 75-cent Delaware River bridge toll on I-78.

And...I'll just throw this out there and I assume you already know about this...but Amtrak offers frequent service btw northern New Jersey and Lancaster on the Keystone trains.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:50 am

The paving work on 222 north of LNS is done, but there is still some remaining work that will require periodic lane closures (link) [click on "Project Updates" after clicking the link!].

If you are outside the 8-10 am and 3-6 pm windows, I think OPs route #2 (using 222) is the fastest, even if 222 has a lane closure. If there is a lane closure on 222 and you hit it during a peak period, it can get pretty backed up. However, even during one of these peak periods, taking 222 might still be the fastest--you have the 'stuck in traffic' feeling during the congested stretch, but can move fairly well the rest of the time.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
As one who used to live in Reading and go to college in the Lehigh Valley, I'm torn on this. If you get stuck behind a truck on 222 between Kutztown & Reading, it can take what feels like a long time from PA 662 to PA 73. Eventually, I made it my goal to spend as little time as possible on 222. But in your case, option #1 just feels out of the way (and expensive!), and I'd agree #3 would take way too long. I'd take #2 with a slight modification:

I-78 to PA 737 to US 222.

I-78 is close to parallel to US 222 from Allentown to Kutztown, and I think even with the relatively new US 222 stretch around Trexlertown, staying on I-78 slightly longer is better.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

I ended up taking route 3... I-78 to rt. 501

It worked out fairly well. We hit traffic from Morristown to Allentown on I-78 and had a few stop and starts but it didn't delay us that much. I guess people commute from PA to NJ where the housing is cheaper. After that, the only issue I had was a 20 mile (maybe it was 15 or 25 mile) stretch of 55 mph speed limit in PA. Ridiculous. It's not exactly NYC or Philly.

501 on a Thursday evening was fairly empty and a well-maintained road with good signage. I actually got slightly lost in the dailylight on the way home Sunday enjoying the scenery. We stopped in Brickerville for dinner on the way to Lancaster which might have been my wife's favorite stop of the trip so that worked out well. It took about 3 hours including the traffic but was more of an adventure than going with rt. 222
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by spike74

It worked out fairly well. We hit traffic from Morristown to Allentown on I-78
Ummm, 78 doesn't go through Morristown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.