Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Options for getting from Pittsburgh airport to downtown and University area?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2010, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold

I may be flying in and out of Pittsburgh a few times in the next couple of months. Does anyone know if there are good public transit options to get from the airport to downtown? What about to the U of Pittsburgh are?

Also, what do taxis cost between these areas and the airport?

Thanks for any info.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am at a PIT area hotel and was talking to the shuttle driver and he said there is a bus directly from PIT to downtown for $2.50 every 15 min. Also a bus to the university area making more stops. I think he mentioned bus B or 22 so do a google and you may get some more details. He said a taxi was $40-$50. Good luck.

MisterNice
Old Sep 22, 2010, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

update

The upstairs info lady sez its bus 2X, leaves about every 15 min, non-stop to downtown and then on to the Carnegie area. Cost is $2.75 to downtown and $3 to Carnegie. You get the bus in the ground transportation area and get the tickets there. She said the ground transportation info guy has more details and reaffirmed a taxi was $40-$50.

MisterNice
Old Oct 7, 2014, 3:26 am

Pittsburgh Airport to Downtown

Try Google Maps. Select the bus instead of the car at the top of search.
I believe it is 28x. Takes about an hour to Downtown with stops.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold

It is the 28x airport flyer bus. Goes downtown as well as to Oakland (where U of Pitt and CMU are). It is a great option if you have a flexible schedule/can deal with delays/etc. however, it is a public bus and I have gotten caught a couple times due to breakdowns or other problems and had some close calls. Most of the time if I need more reliable transit, I'll do super shuttle. It's more expensive but at least generally reliable to get where you need to go.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: UA, DL, B6, WN
Minor correction for future flyertalkers...

The 28x runs every half hour from the airport. It will take about 40-50 minutes to get downtown and arrives in Oakland (UPitt/CMU area) shortly afterwards.

If you're traveling during rushhour in either direction, it will take a little longer (the main hangup is the Ft. Pitt bridge into and out of downtown). And if you're traveling the first or last weekend of one of the university holidays (e.g. Thanksgiving break, winter break, spring break, summer term), be prepared for a crowded bus.

You can check the schedule for the 28x here: http://www.portauthority.org/rt/28x.pdf

Port Authority also just released real-time tracking of all buses in the system. You can track them using Tiramisu (http://tiramisutransit.com/) or Transit (http://thetransitapp.com/).

As someone who uses the bus fairly regularly, it is actually pretty reliable. There is a bit of an odd detour to an IKEA in one of the Pittsburgh suburbs, but it's cheap ($3.75 to anywhere within the city, including Downtown and Oakland) and mostly pleasant.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:40 am

Yankervitch has it right.

Also, sometimes there are cheap ($10-$20) one-way rental cars from PIT to the city. Especially Budget.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.