Flying into EWR...are there any off airport rental locations nearby?

Subscribe
I need to do a one way rental, and the rates from EWR are quite high. Has anyone rented from a neighborhoosd location in the vicinity? what is the closet one nearby?
Quote: I need to do a one way rental, and the rates from EWR are quite high. Has anyone rented from a neighborhoosd location in the vicinity? what is the closet one nearby?
There is an Enterprise at the downtown Newark train station (Penn Station), but I've never used it, so can't tell you what the rates are like. It isn't difficult to get to the station from EWR (lots of threads about that in this forum, just do a search).
Depending on your flight arrival time, you might want to stick with car rentals in the airport vicinity - not sure if you really want to be in downtown Newark at night. Might want to check nearby Jersey City for major car rental companies.

On the other hand, local rentals tend to want to keep their cars for in-town use and not one-way dropoffs? Your chances of getting one will be better at the airport(s)? Check out JFK across the river on NY side - will need to take airport bus over, but savings might offset it if available ....

Also, check out Hertz Local Editions in Manhattan (New York, NY) as they have a number of in-town locations, again - you will need to take airport bus into city to pick it up.

These in-town locations all have shorter hours so a daytime arrival should be fine. Good luck finding one.
Quote: not sure if you really want to be in downtown Newark at night.
The Enterprise rental is across the street from the train station, and although the area can feel a bit gritty (especially with the large homeless population) it is also swarming with police and is a very busy station, so I've never felt unsafe.
I don't think the OP needs to avoid this location over safety concerns, in fact you should be able to get the the Enterprise office without even having to go outside...just take the pedestrian bridge over to the Hilton.