Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Parking at PHL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2004, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Question Parking at PHL

We will be fyling from PHL in August and need to park our car for 16 days. There seems to be several options for long term parking. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Old Jun 25, 2004, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
I use SmartPark at PHL. It is located in Essington on the South side of the airport. Their service is pretty good and their rates aren't horrible. Definitely get a coupon if you are going to use them I think they are for $5.95/day.(without a coupon it is either $13 or $14/day. -- stop by a travel agent in the PHL area -- they usually have them. 16 days is a long time and even with a coupon for $5.95/day will cost a bit. You might be better staying at an airport hotel the night before your trip and leaving your car there (some offer you free parking for your trip if you stay overnight -- I don't know which hotels offer that though).
Old Jun 25, 2004, 6:20 pm

Programs: former NW Plat & HH Diamond, NA Executive Elite - now just a DL Gold sitting in the back of the plan
Where are you from? Can you get someone to drop you off? And be sure to bring them back a thank-you gift.

Personally, I grew in Allentown and when we did fly out of PHL, we always had someone drop us off. The previous post is a decent option if you have to park at the airport.

Good luck and safe travels!
Old Jun 26, 2004, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dont use the crummy PHL lots. Many people use the parking lot by the Ramada for about $6/day plus about 10% tax. A couple of PHL airport hotels have some nice "stay and park" rates. These include Ramada (dreary hotel), Microtel (sometimes a really nice cheap deal, ie $69), Hampton Inn (newer and nicer) etc. Most are good for 7-14 nights parking, stay 1 night before or after you leave, and sometimes they will give you a couple of free extra days (call the hotel before you book).

MisterNice
Old Jun 26, 2004, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great info! We live outside washington DC and I think a two hour ride to the airport is too much to ask from our busy family or friends!
The hotel stay and park packages sound great, I called the Hampton Inn about parking 16 days instead of 14 and they told me to call back Monday when the general manager is there.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 5:40 pm

Programs: former NW Plat & HH Diamond, NA Executive Elite - now just a DL Gold sitting in the back of the plan
Originally Posted by NotSoFrequentTraveler
Thank you all for the great info! We live outside washington DC and I think a two hour ride to the airport is too much to ask from our busy family or friends!
The hotel stay and park packages sound great, I called the Hampton Inn about parking 16 days instead of 14 and they told me to call back Monday when the general manager is there.
Umm, yeah, 2 hours is a bit much to ask.

Just curious, why are you flying out of PHL when you have multiple airports, just as large, much closer? I certainly hope the fare savings was so significant that it does two things:
A. Offset the cost of what you'll pay to park
B. Offset the cost of your time to travel to PHL

Safe travels ...
Old Jun 26, 2004, 6:55 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
Note that there are two SmartPark lots at PHL; for some reason I gnenerally end up at the Essington lot although the Scott Way lot is closer (and a litle easier to find).

Another lot I've frequently used is west of the aiport on Tinicum Island Road (Scott Way to a right at the USAirways hang.ar and then around to the west end of the runway)

Here is a Philly Inquirer article about parking. It's a few years old (it was published on 9.9.01) so take the prices with a grain of salt.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 7:06 pm

Programs: BA GfL
For personal travel, I always use the Ramada--the van service is extremely prompt, and the rates are cheap. I just returned today from a trip: I parked there from June 15-26, and the total bill was $87. The hotel is located at the Essington exit on I-95, just south of the airport. It's a 5-minute drive to PHL.

My company makes us park at Priority Parking (same exit off I-95, turn left at the traffic light instead of right for the Ramada) for business trips. The rates there are a bit higher, but they have valet parking and they also have an optional car wash service--they'll wash your car just before you return. That can be nice too, a real time-saver if you care about such things.
Old Jun 27, 2004, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by psubrian
Umm, yeah, 2 hours is a bit much to ask.

Just curious, why are you flying out of PHL when you have multiple airports, just as large, much closer? I certainly hope the fare savings was so significant that it does two things:
A. Offset the cost of what you'll pay to park
B. Offset the cost of your time to travel to PHL

Safe travels ...
BWI or IAD to MAD $900 - PHL to MAD $650 x 4 = $1000!!!
also our daughter who attends college in PHL is changing apartments when we get back from Spain so we want our van in Philly.

Thank you everybody for all the great info!
Old Jun 27, 2004, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are a lotta private parking lots near the Philly airport (Smart Park, Sun-whatever, Priority, Winner, Econo etc etc. One good thing about the Ramada lot is not only are they cheap, but the parking spaces are secure and H-U-G-E, ie you can park a van beside van (or a nice new un-dinged car) and not have anyone ding any of the doors. The downside is the vans are quick outta the lot but slow from the airport to the lot. Take Exit 33 east until it dead ends, go left on Rt 291 for 1/2 mi then right to the separate Ramada parking lot. The Hampton GM has never turned me down for an extra 2-3 days (but it is typically $125 for the Park-n-fly deal) ve $70+ for the Microtel (not secure parking as I remember).

MisterNice
Old Jun 29, 2004, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MisterNice
One good thing about the Ramada lot is not only are they cheap, but the parking spaces are secure...
The Hampton GM has never turned me down for an extra 2-3 days .....
MisterNice
MisterNice, Is Hampton Inn parking secure also?
Old May 25, 2005, 11:35 am

Do people still consider the Ramada as one of the best or THE best parking option for the PHL airport.

I know the question above is old, but I will answer anyway. The Hampton Inn parking is NOT secure, though I felt no hesitation leaving my car in the designated lot.
Old May 25, 2005, 11:52 am

We use Winner, with 10% AAA discount and tax works out to a little over $8 per day. Winner then has responsibility for security, you get driven to the airport in your vehicle and picked up in your vehicle. Have used them 15 times and never a delay to the airport and short time from call at airport to pickup. They also have car wash and detailing service as well as car service options at Winner Chevrolet. Have had car washed, detailed and serviced and always been satisfied. On return, car had $1,000 minimum damage to side, was annoying, but they fixed it next time we came in to park car.
Old May 25, 2005, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by elgringito
On return, car had $1,000 minimum damage to side, was annoying, but they fixed it next time we came in to park car.
You would return for a next time if you found a thousand bucks of damage to your car after leaving it with them????

Anyway, to answer today's question, yes, I still like the Ramada and also Priority Parking. Lately I have parked several times at Colonial Parking, directly across the street from Priority--it's cheaper, although no car wash and no valet parking.

One note: the reason that I've had to use Colonial several times in the last few months is that upon driving to the lots, I have found both the Ramada and Priority to be FULL. These are huge lots, esp. the Ramada, and it must say something about the regional economy if these guys are at 100% capacity utilization. Anyway, beware of the "Lot Full" sign, and build in some extra time for driving up and down the Essington main drag in case you find yourself locked out of your first and second choices.
Old May 25, 2005, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by travelmad478
You would return for a next time if you found a thousand bucks of damage to your car after leaving it with them????

Anyway, to answer today's question, yes, I still like the Ramada and also Priority Parking. Lately I have parked several times at Colonial Parking, directly across the street from Priority--it's cheaper, although no car wash and no valet parking.

One note: the reason that I've had to use Colonial several times in the last few months is that upon driving to the lots, I have found both the Ramada and Priority to be FULL. These are huge lots, esp. the Ramada, and it must say something about the regional economy if these guys are at 100% capacity utilization. Anyway, beware of the "Lot Full" sign, and build in some extra time for driving up and down the Essington main drag in case you find yourself locked out of your first and second choices.
If I was in a hotel lot or public lot, what would my option be - none but pay it myself since I would have a $500 deductible and an insurance claim on my policy. Winner assumed responsibility and left me whole. At a couple of additional bucks a day, small price to pay when the valet service is added. My wife's attitude was "I will never park there again" until I explained my logic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.