Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Help needed for connecting flight at PHL (flight US759, ATH-PHL-LGA)

Help needed for connecting flight at PHL (flight US759, ATH-PHL-LGA)

Old Aug 31, 2010, 4:00 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Here is the latest on Hurricane Earl. It appears that it may impact your arrival, however, there are too many variables involved to state with any certainty that your flight may be impacted. That said and IIRC, MIA, FLL and PBI did close when Cat 3 hurricanes approached, and with Earl currently at the high end of Cat 4 the same should hold true for any airport in Earl's path along the Atlantic coast.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Italy98
Here is the latest on Hurricane Earl. It appears that it may impact your arrival, however, there are too many variables involved to state with any certainty that your flight may be impacted. That said and IIRC, MIA, FLL and PBI did close when Cat 3 hurricanes approached, and with Earl currently at the high end of Cat 4 the same should hold true for any airport in Earl's path along the Atlantic coast.
Thanks italy98. According to your link, PHL and LGA currently appear to be outside Earl's projected path...of course I understand that such path might slightly (?) change, as the hurricane evolves within the following days. In any case, if PHL and LGA remain safe at the day of my trip, would this still affect me, in the means that the plane will still have to go through the path of the hurricane to reach its destination? From your experience, if the destination airport is safe but the plane's scheduled air route passes through the hurricane's path, does the plane makes a detour in order to avoid the bad weather or the flight is canceled either way?
Old Sep 1, 2010, 2:53 am
Original Poster

anyone...?
Old Sep 1, 2010, 4:17 am

Programs: BA GfL
Wirelessly posted (Palm Treo 650: BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.61 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by scharal
anyone...?
It really depends. Weather and especially hurricanes are not all that predictable. Sometimes your flight will be a little longer if the plane has to fly a route avoiding the storm; sometimes it may be delayed if there is no way to route around it (this happens with very large storms); sometimes there's no impact at all. You'll just have to see what happens. US will get you to your destination in the end.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One should not get their knickers in a twist worrying about every every possible upset. Relax.

MisterNice
Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Because of geodesics, flight paths do not go straight across the map but rather arc toward the north (in the northern hemisphere). Hence, your plane's normal route is likely to avoid the hurricane in flying to PHL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.