Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Sign in using an external account

Old Jun 29, 10, 2:54 pm   #1

Budget travel ideas: SEA-BAL; BAL-PHI; PHI/BAL-SEA

I'm a newbie on this forum, so forgive my general questions.

We are definitely on a tight budget. I'm just interested to hear if anyone has some good ideas I haven't thought of.

I'm heading back to Baltimore from Seattle with my wife the first week of August (we have not bought anything yet). We'd like to stay in Baltimore for 3-4 days (ideally in an inexpensive hotel -- any feedback?). Then we'll travel to Philadelphia where we will stay with our friend for a few days (any ideas on the best way to get from Baltimore to Philly on the cheap? We are planning on renting a car, but if we can avoid we will...)

Our plan was to stay in Philadelphia, then come back to Baltimore just before we depart again for Seattle by mid-August. However, it would be nice to leave from Philly to avoid having to backtrack.

Cheap is good.

Any suggestions are welcome. Cheers...
SeaHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 10, 7:54 pm   #2

Programs: UA; AA;AGR;HH Gold;Hyatt Plat;Hertz Gold 5*;National Executive; Johnnie Walker Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHouse View Post
I'm a newbie on this forum, so forgive my general questions.

We are definitely on a tight budget. I'm just interested to hear if anyone has some good ideas I haven't thought of.

I'm heading back to Baltimore from Seattle with my wife the first week of August (we have not bought anything yet). We'd like to stay in Baltimore for 3-4 days (ideally in an inexpensive hotel -- any feedback?). Then we'll travel to Philadelphia where we will stay with our friend for a few days (any ideas on the best way to get from Baltimore to Philly on the cheap? We are planning on renting a car, but if we can avoid we will...)

Our plan was to stay in Philadelphia, then come back to Baltimore just before we depart again for Seattle by mid-August. However, it would be nice to leave from Philly to avoid having to backtrack.

Cheap is good.

Any suggestions are welcome. Cheers...
First off, welcome to Flyertalk!
Second, I assume you are talking about BWI airport. BAL is the abbreviation for a small airport in Turkey: http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airpor...irportCode=BAL

Since there are two of you, renting a car may be the best way to get to Philly from Baltimore. It would be about a 2 to 2.5 hour drive depending on traffic. You could also take Amtrak from their BWI station (a short bus ride from the airport) or from the downtown Baltimore station. A one way coach ticket on Amtrak to Philly for the first week of August will be $31.00 per person.

There is also the Megabus, http://us.megabus.com/ that goes from Baltimore (not the airport) to Philadelphia. For that week, their super cheap rates are still available, from $1.00 to $5.00 per person, so if you staying in the Baltimore area, that might be doable, but would be a pain to connect directly from the airport.

Happy travels and enjoy Philly; it's a great city.

Last edited by rittenhousesq; Jun 29, 10 at 8:02 pm.
rittenhousesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 10, 9:33 am   #3

Thank you!

Hi rittenhousesq-
thank you for the info. Very helpful -- esp about Megabus. Great to know. Cheers!
SeaHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 10, 12:13 pm   #4

Programs: Marriott Plat, EZ Pass, Back of the Plane Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq View Post
Second, I assume you are talking about BWI airport. BAL is the abbreviation for a small airport in Turkey: http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airpor...irportCode=BAL
Just for fun, PHI is an airport in Brazil.

Anyway, I would second the recommendation for Megabus. That, and Bolt Bus, seem to be getting more and more interest here on FT.
bitburgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 10, 1:33 pm   #5

Programs: UA; AA;AGR;HH Gold;Hyatt Plat;Hertz Gold 5*;National Executive; Johnnie Walker Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitburgr View Post
Just for fun, PHI is an airport in Brazil.
LOL, I missed that one. Now there is a trip that would be a challenge to book: SEA-BAL-PHI