Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for apt./room/etc. in DC area starting this summer

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus cattle, DL SkyPesos peon, HHonors Blue
Looking for apt./room/etc. in DC area starting this summer

I'm not sure if this is legit to post here, but I figured I'd give it a shot. I will be finishing up my MPA this June and will be looking for work in the DC area.
So sometime this summer I will be in the market for a place to live, hopefully walking distance to a Metro station (Metrobus nearby that runs to Metro would work as well, but Metro stop is ideal). I am looking mainly for a 1BR or studio, bur if there is an opportunity to "rent" an extra room or something along those lines then I'm game for that as well to get started.

So if anyone has any friends with extra space or who who rents places themselves, feel free to PM/email me. It would be much appreciated!
Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LHCVG
I'm not sure if this is legit to post here, but I figured I'd give it a shot. I will be finishing up my MPA this June and will be looking for work in the DC area.
So sometime this summer I will be in the market for a place to live, hopefully walking distance to a Metro station (Metrobus nearby that runs to Metro would work as well, but Metro stop is ideal). I am looking mainly for a 1BR or studio, bur if there is an opportunity to "rent" an extra room or something along those lines then I'm game for that as well to get started.

So if anyone has any friends with extra space or who who rents places themselves, feel free to PM/email me. It would be much appreciated!
Many universities offer up dorms to students, interns, and travelers. You may want to check out Georgetown, American, and George Washington University's offerings. GW will be the closest (walking distance) to a Metro stop.

Last edited by marksskram; Apr 25, 2010 at 10:09 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 25, 2010, 4:38 pm

The dorm option will be your easiest option and a popular one with the parents of a lot of interns.

However, it will also be one of the more expensive options. You can find GWU rates here: http://summerhousing.gwu.edu/individual/intern/dates/

If you take the cheapest GWU dorm option and live with a roommate, it will cost over $1380 a month for a two month stay.

Alternatively, you can check http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/sub/ you should be able to get something for a lot less.

Originally Posted by marksskram
Many universities offer up dorms to students, interns, and travelers. You may want to check out Georgetown, American, and George Washington University's offerings. GW will be the closest (walking distance) to a Metro stop.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
The dorm option will be your easiest option and a popular one with the parents of a lot of interns.

However, it will also be one of the more expensive options. You can find GWU rates here: http://summerhousing.gwu.edu/individual/intern/dates/

If you take the cheapest GWU dorm option and live with a roommate, it will cost over $1380 a month for a two month stay.

Alternatively, you can check http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/sub/ you should be able to get something for a lot less.
That, and since I'll no longer be a student, that won't work either. I'm moving for good to get a real job this time.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 9:26 pm

Figure this when you said you would have your MPA.

How much are you looking to spend? Do you have any ideas of where you would like to live?

That, and since I'll no longer be a student, that won't work either. I'm moving for good to get a real job this time.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Well hopefully I'd like to spend like $500-$800. Based on what I've seen over time on Craig's List and such $500 seems like a floor for much that's decent, and I probably won't be able to afford anything in the $1,000 range since I'll have student loans to pay back too. I'd prefer Arlington, Bethesda, Rosslyn, Rockville, Alexandria, but if it's near Metro that would be ok if it were further out. I've been thinking that I might have to go the route of renting a room from someone for a while and then just get an apt. later on. It's tough not having something set up yet so I don't have any idea just how tight my budget will be (like if I end up working on the Hill and start out in the $20's).
Old Apr 29, 2010, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
...I don't have any idea just how tight my budget will be (like if I end up working on the Hill and start out in the $20's).
In that area, very tight. If you start out at 28K, local usage declares that you will not qualify for any apartment renting for more than $650-$675 unless the Landlord is a total amateur. And that will be mighty difficult to find so you probably should do something temporary as you were contemplating until you got to a job and then found someone likable and trustworthy with whom to share an apartment.

Our company has apartments out just inside the beltway in Fairfax County and the 475 sq ft one person efficiencies renting for about $850. We do get some recent graduates just starting out on the Hill but Mom or Dad signs the papers.

Good luck with your job and your living arrangements. You likely will find DC a very exciting place to live and work.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by monitor
In that area, very tight. If you start out at 28K, local usage declares that you will not qualify for any apartment renting for more than $650-$675 unless the Landlord is a total amateur. And that will be mighty difficult to find so you probably should do something temporary as you were contemplating until you got to a job and then found someone likable and trustworthy with whom to share an apartment.

Our company has apartments out just inside the beltway in Fairfax County and the 475 sq ft one person efficiencies renting for about $850. We do get some recent graduates just starting out on the Hill but Mom or Dad signs the papers.

Good luck with your job and your living arrangements. You likely will find DC a very exciting place to live and work.
I've spent a couple summers working there and I love the place for both living and working. I just have to figure out how to finally make the jump to get in for the long haul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.