Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Restaurant @ DCA OUTSIDE of TSA?

Old May 28, 2008, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA:Lifetime Platinum; MR:Lifetime Titanium

I will be taking the USAIR Shuttle to DCA on my way to Miami and will spend a few hours between flights so that I can meet my Washington,D.C. friend for a meal. My friend will not pass through TSA and we will dine in a place on the other side of Security. (I, of course, will pass through TSA again when we finish the meal).

Although I am familiar with the restaurants and food stands close to the Shuttle,I don't know anything about restaurants on the other side of TSA. I will only have a little over two hours so I don't think that going to a restaurant outside of the airport would be convenient.

I'd appreciate all suggestions.
Old May 28, 2008, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Legal Seafood and I think its a Fridays (or something like that) are both options at DCA, outside of security - they are at different ends of the terminal from one another.
Old May 29, 2008, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Each time I go to DC for client meetings, I try to catch up with my brother and we usually meet at the Ruth's Chris in Crystal City. I've never had trouble dining within a 2 hour timeframe there. I'm not specifically recommending Ruth's Chris, but rather saying that it IS feasible to have dinner off the airport property and still get back in time for your flight. There are many good locations in Crystal City that are a quick Metro or cab ride away.
Old May 29, 2008, 8:19 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
If you like Japanese food, Matsutake has a landside outpost a bit south of the USAirways terminal.. I've never been to their DCA location, but their other Arlington locations are good.
Old May 29, 2008, 9:15 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold
I would second going over to Crystal City for food. You are looking at a maximum of 15 mins transit time, both walking and taking the metro. If things get really desparate coming back, it shouldn't be more than a $10 cab fee.
Old May 29, 2008, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Here's a link to the restaurant list at DCA, identifying those dining spots outside security:

http://metwashairports.com/_/File/_/shopnational.pdf

I agree with dchristiva and rzsionak that with 2 hours, you'd probably have time to cab it to Crystal City (the Crytal City Metro stop is some distance from the restaurants along Crystal Drive between 20th and 23rd Streets where most of the restaurants are located, so cabbing it would be my recommendation).

Here's a link to a list of Crystal City restaurants:

http://crystalcity.com/Dine_Shop_Sta...staurant_Guide
Old May 29, 2008, 10:40 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
If you're worried about time, I'd just hang at Legal Seafoods. They have a really nice bar and great food... and it's right near the US terminal.

If food is not something you care about, Friday's has a nice upstairs where you can watch the planes while you eat the inedible food.
Old May 29, 2008, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA:Lifetime Platinum; MR:Lifetime Titanium
Thanks

[QUOTE=gvdIAD;9794795]Here's a link to the restaurant list at DCA, identifying those dining spots outside security:

http://metwashairports.com/_/File/_/shopnational.pdf

I agree with dchristiva and rzsionak that with 2 hours, you'd probably have time to cab it to Crystal City (the Crytal City Metro stop is some distance from the restaurants along Crystal Drive between 20th and 23rd Streets where most of the restaurants are located, so cabbing it would be my recommendation).QUOTE]

In my next life, I plan on being calm, cool and collected. In this one, however, I manage to stress unneccesarily about things like TSA, airlines departing on time, etc.

Thanks for the valuable website, gvdIAD; it will make life much easier to dine either at Legal Seafoods or chow down at TGIF.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 4:24 am

There is also a California Pizza Kitchen on the right side.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 12:21 pm

The last time I was in Legal Seafood in DCA was the LAST time! Met me bride when seh returned to DCA. Left her in Legal to order while I went to retrieve her check bag. When I got back to Legal Seafoods they she still didn't have a menu, much less a drink or an order.

We dined that night at Woo Lae Oak, about a 10-minute cab ride from DCA.

I don't see any reason to expect decent food in an airport resturant. They have a captive audience. They don't have to be good.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 12:37 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Originally Posted by scubadiver
The last time I was in Legal Seafood in DCA was the LAST time! Met me bride when seh returned to DCA. Left her in Legal to order while I went to retrieve her check bag. When I got back to Legal Seafoods they she still didn't have a menu, much less a drink or an order.

We dined that night at Woo Lae Oak, about a 10-minute cab ride from DCA.

I don't see any reason to expect decent food in an airport resturant. They have a captive audience. They don't have to be good.
Wow... I was there last week. Boarding began in 30 minutes and I was hungry I sat down and asked if they could get me a quick sandwich, bowl of soup, and a drink since I still had to go through security (I was hungry!). I got it all, ate, paid, and made it to the gate just as I was allowed to board.

I guess it depends who your server is.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 12:50 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
Cibo

I have eaten at Cibo, as a friend is a minority partner in that venture
Old Jun 5, 2008, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Legal Seafoods is great. I try to get to DCA early to have a meal there prior to my flight. After Legal, I'd recommend the Cibo then Matsutake, then Friday's.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 7:31 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
It has been a couple of years since I have been through DCA. With that disclaimer, I always made a point of leaving enough time on my connections so I could eat at Legal Seafood. I have had many good meals at their DCA location. Sometimes service is a little bit on the slow side, but generally they are fine. Food has been consistently good. Only other negative is that during peak travel times, you may have to wait awhile to get a table. Any way, I recommend dining at Legal Seafood. They are one of the few airport restaurants I judge by general restaurant standards rather than my lower airport food standard. YMMV....

--Jon
Old Jun 6, 2008, 8:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Uniter
Wow... I was there last week. Boarding began in 30 minutes and I was hungry I sat down and asked if they could get me a quick sandwich, bowl of soup, and a drink since I still had to go through security (I was hungry!). I got it all, ate, paid, and made it to the gate just as I was allowed to board.

I guess it depends who your server is.
You must have set a world record in finishing a meal and clearing security. I am amazed that you were able to eat so fast.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.