Search

A couple of hours in Philadelphia?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
A couple of hours in Philadelphia?

Hi,

I will be travelling from New York to Washington DC next May, and will (most likely) be travelling by train. Since the train runs through Philadelphia, I was playing with the idea of maybe doing a short stop here. No specific reasons, just to visit another city that I haven't been to before.

Would there be anything to do/places to eat close to the 30th street station? Was thinking of maybe doing a stop of anything between 2-4 hours.

Thanks for any advice
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:55 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
2-4 hours sounds perfect for a visit to the National Constitution Center. From 30th street, take Septa down to the Market Street East Station and walk the couple of blocks to the NCC. Alternatively, you could do the Liberty Bell (also from Market Street East).
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:30 am
Suspended

From what I remember 30th St station is on the other side of the Hway, thusly not much at all in the immediate area, as there is by Grand Central in NYC or DC

But as bitburgr said simply jump on the subway. The Historical area is nice to walk around as well, or head up I think youd need a cab to Museum row a short distance away
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does Amtrak allow stopovers? The Univ of Penna and Drexel campuses are a 15 min walk away with many nice restaurants, the University museum etc etc. It should be a nice place to visit that time of year.

MisterNice
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by craz

But as bitburgr said simply jump on the subway.
Better option to get to center city or the historical area is simply to use the SEPTA Regional Rail trains from 30th Street Station to either Suburban Station or Market East (the latter being the best option for Independence Mall/Liberty Bell). Your Amtrak ticket stub to/from Philly will be good for passage, though they rarely check tickets between the 3 downtown stations. Regional Rail trains run frequently and this option will save you from buying subway fare.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MisterNice
Does Amtrak allow stopovers?
They doas at least allow me to book tickets on one train from New York to Philadelphia, and another ticket from Philadelphia to Washington DC, as a mulkti-city booking, costing the exact same as a ticket for New York - Washington DC.

Thanks for all advice. After speaking to my travel companions (my mother, aunt and sister - all first-time visitors to the US), they thought it seemed a bit to much of a hassle to do a stop-over, so I don't think it will happen, unfortunately. But thanks anyway .
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:00 pm

In case you change your mind, or for anyone else looking at a similar situation, also in that same area as the National Constitution Center and Liberty Bell is the Federal Mint! Fascinating tours available on weekdays ^
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:08 am

If you do change your mind, consider that its probably easier taking a cab out of 30th St. Station. However, if you want to see the real Philly, take SEPTA and experience the Gallery at Market East.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.