The Future of Dulles Airport [and Metro line]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Future of Dulles Airport [and Metro line]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Nice article about the two north side historical hangars (that housed the old Interim Terminal) at DCA: https://ggwash.org/view/62960/buildi...tional-airport

And this link https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#...A-3DEFBA353306 gives a nice 30 year view back through the wayback machine of how DCA, IAD and many other airports used to be laid out. cool!
Old May 27, 2017, 7:12 am

Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project progress update e-mail 03 22 2017

Saarinen's Purpose in Design

Dulles Airport Station was designed to mimic the iconic Saarinen-designed main terminal at Dulles Airport which has been nominated for the National Register of Historic Places.
Photo courtesy of the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority.

Atop of the list of considerations designers of Metro's Silver Line extension through Dulles International Airport was the protecting the main terminal's façade, the result of one of architect Eero Saarinen's creative bursts.

Saarinen, the son of architect Eliel Saarinen, placed his mark on a number of familiar buildings despite living only to the age of 51. In fact, death came before many of his more well-known structures reached completion.

Eero (pronounced the same as arrow) Saarinen's first major project came after he outperformed his father in a competition to design the St. Louis Jefferson Memorial. His design resulted in the St. Louis Arch.

Saarinen got his first big break when his arch design was chosen for the St. Louis Jefferson Memorial. Saarinen's father was among the entrants.
Photo courtesy of the Jefferson National Expansion Monument.

"Our architecture is too humble. It should be prouder, more aggressive, much richer and larger than we see today," Saarinen once said, according to The Architect Who Saw the Future, part of the PBS American Masters series. "I would like to do my part in expanding that richness."

The oval-shaped road that provides access to the airport and loops around the daily and hourly parking lots at Dulles Airport bears the architect's name: Saarinen Circle.

A brain tumor took Saarinen's life in 1961 at the age of 51, before many of his projects would reach completion, including the Dulles terminal.

"He already saw it in the model stage," recalled Eric Saarinen in the film he created about his father. "He was like a giant looking down."

Eero Saarinen designed the main terminal at Dulles Airport.
Photo courtesy of the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority.

Saarinen believed architecture was an important part of the human endeavor, not just a way to provide space and shelter.

"Architecture also has the purpose of marking and enhancing man's time on Earth," Saarinen once said, adding that the character of those occupying building should become part of the design.

"I hope that some of my buildings will have lasting truths," he said. "I admit quite frankly I would like to have a place in architectural history."

Since 1978, the Dulles terminal has been eligible for the National Register of Historic Places.

When he designed Dulles, as well as the TWA Flight Center at JFK Airport in New York, he wanted to demonstrate a sense of traveling through the air. Dulles also credits Saarinen with developing the mobile lounge concept in which roving vehicles carried passengers between the main terminal and their gates.

With his curved design for the TWA Flight Center at JFK Airport Saarinen aimed to create a sense of traveling through air. The facility now serves as a hotel at the airport.
Photo courtesy of MCR Development.

A few other projects Saarinen designed:
  • The TWA Flight Center at JFK Airport in New York was Saarinen's attempt to "conquer gravity," using a curved concrete design not used at the time.
  • Deere & Company's farming equipment showroom in Moline, IL.
  • Saarinen-designed chairs were used in magazine ad campaigns for Coca Cola, Southern Comfort and others.
  • CBS Building in New York City.
  • Saarinen-designed pedestal furniture became popular in the '50s, with features such as one-legged chairs.
  • Built Miller House as a private project.
  • Kresge Auditorium on MIT's campus in Cambridge, MA.
  • Mores and Stiles College at Yale University New Haven, CT.
  • North Christian Church in Columbus, IN.</li>

The Dulles Airport Station design mimics Saarinen's design for the main terminal.

The Dulles terminal is also the reason a different design was chosen for the Silver Line's Dulles Airport Station than for the other Phase 2 stations. The design resembles the shape of the terminal.

Pedestrian Bridge Work Coming Soon to Innovation

A pedestrian bridge segment ready to be set.
Photo courtesy of Capital Rail Constructors</

Steel for roof at Loudoun Gateway going up in June

Some of the most challenging and exciting parts of construction of the Silver Line Phase 2 will begin in late May or early June.

That's when construction of the pedestrian bridges that will provide access to the stations along the 11-mile alignment from Reston to Ashburn will begin, according to John Kearney, the project's construction manager for the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority.

The first segments of those bridges will be put into place at Innovation Station, which sits in the median of the Dulles International Airport Access Highway east of Route 28, near the old Center for Innovative Technology building, the upside down pyramid-shaped structure on the north side of the Dulles Toll Road corridor.

Specific dates will be announced later this month.

Cranes will be used for the installation, according to the contractor Capital Rail Constructors.

Installing these bridges will cause significant lane closures. Public notices will be issued on a weekly and daily basis before and during this work.

A schedule for installations at other stations is not yet available.

Also planned for the coming weeks:
  • Continuing steel erection of the Reston Station roof.
  • Beginning of erection of roof steel at Loudoun Gateway Station Setting precast concrete sections of eastern end of Dulles Station.
  • Ongoing construction inside the pedestrian tunnel for those going to or from the main terminal at Dulles to Parking Garage 1.
  • Road repairs and paving at the Herndon Park and Ride lot near an entrance to the station.

Rail Yard Happenings

Work is plugging along at the Rail and Maintenance Yard at Dulles Airport which will employ about 300 people.
Photo courtesy of Hensel Phelps Construction.

At the 90-acre rail yard being built on Dulles Airport property off Route 606, lots of work is taking place, according to Dave Bonnallie, construction manager of the yard.

Rail special track installations are taking place along with, site grading, seeding, road construction, and installation of lighting and other systems.

Structural steel is going up for maintenance facilities and other structures, along with roofing and interior finishing and mechanical installations.

###

Link to PDF version at Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project web site.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
E-mail today notes a step forward in Dulles Metro construction that should be obvious to anybody on the Toll Road: Starting July 14, they'll begin installing the pedestrian bridges connecting stations with their entry/exit plazas on each side of the highway.

In other news, a presentation at last month's MWAA board meeting notes that we now have less than a year until the June 29, 2018 date projected for "substantial" completion of the contract to build the new yard next to IAD. The separate contract to build the line and stations themselves, however, remains further off with a substantial-completion estimate of Aug. 7, 2019. Months of testing will follow that, like with Phase 1 but hopefully not with WMATA again demanding additional work.

(The MWAA site usually posts these progress reports a few days before each MWAA board meeting. Next one's July 19, so Monday of that week would be a good day for civil-engineering nerds to check for meeting documents.)
Old Aug 5, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
This was my view of Silver Line Phase II construction this morning. As you can see, the aerial guideway through IAD is really far along (you can't see rails from this high up, but they are being laid), and the Dulles yard's major buildings seem to have been topped out. The yard's tracks, however, have yet to go in, and the two stations west of IAD look much the way those east of the airport did a year ago.
Attached Images  
DeafFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:43 pm

Sept. MWAA board meeting update

The materials posted for Thursday's board meeting include the usual updates on Silver Line Phase II construction:

• a presentation of Phase II's status as of July 31 features a nice shot of the inside of the IAD station

• a second presentation on Dulles Yard construction predicts that they will be completing interior finishes by Q2 2018

minutes from the last MWAA board meeting, July 19, cite the same August 2019 "substantial completion" date I've seen for the last few months.

Not seeing that last date change is a good thing...
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:29 pm

MWAA update: Silver Line phase II 74% built

MWAA posted the agenda for January's board meeting, and it's got some noteworthy details on Metro's progress to IAD. The best stuff is in a presentation from Capital Rail Constructors, the contractor for the extension:
  • Construction is now 74% complete--which probably means it's past 75%, since all the data here seem to date to the end of November;
  • The IAD station (see below) will get its platform granite installed beginning in February; by May, all the elevators should be installed;
  • By now, all of the stations should have at least some of their pedestrian bridges over the Dulles Toll Road or Dulles Greenway in place.
A second presentation offers many more pictures of construction, including one of the pedestrian tunnel at IAD that the just-posted minutes of December's board meeting indicate should reopen for Daily Garage passengers in June. And it lists the same "substantial completion" date of Aug. 7, 2019 for the extension, while the Dulles Yard's substantial completion date has slipped by about six months to Dec. 23, 2018.

Old May 26, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: United MP
?Are there going to be any ore updates to this thread?
Old May 26, 2018, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Photo from inside of the Avis shuttle bus back to the IAD terminal drop off on 05/25/18 - why are the power cables so exposed? Will they be covered after construction? Seems a bit vulnerable to some human stupidity/idiocy or malicious mischief otherwise.

David
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Those look like temporary cable trays for power during construction.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:51 am

I had the chance to eyeball almost all of Phase II Silver Line construction last week, and the progress up through IAD is impressive. The only pedestrian bridge remaining to place was a short segment north of the Toll Road for the Herndon-Monroe station, it looks like tracks and third rail run all the way from the existing terminus through the airport, they have distance signs up on the fencing showing the exact feet to the next and previous station, and they're hanging glass walls at the IAD station, as you can see below. But the station plaza areas did not appear to have gotten much past the land-grading stage.

The Loudoun Gateway station west of IAD looked complete, including its pedestrian bridge, but it looked like a lot of trackwork remained. I didn't get a good look at the Ashburn station, the last one on the line.

Meanwhile, this week's MWAA board of directors meeting features yet another update on Phase II progress. Estimated "substantial completion" date for the line and stations, aka Package A, remains Aug. 7, 2019, even after testing and replacement of some suspect concrete panels; the Dulles Yard, Package B + S, continues to feature a Dec. 23, 2018 substantial-completion date. But minutes from last month's meeting suggest that second estimate is no longer valid, even if that won't hold up opening the line: If I read that correctly, the yard's now set to be done Feb. 21, 2019, but that won't stop the line from being "tested and operated without the yard being completed." I suppose the actual meeting Wednesday will further clarify that and the faulty-panels issue.

DeafFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:50 am

Forgot to cross post my Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project Pictures from 09 18 2018

It's been a while sense I published one of these, so let get on with it.

All of the stations are well beyond being structurally complete. Several of the stations have had their granite edge and platform pavers installed. All of the the pedestrian bridges have been placed and are at various stages of having floors and ceiling installed. Innovation Center and Herndon are the closest to being totally done followed by Reston Town Center, Dulles Airport, Loudoun Gateway and Ashburn.

Entrance pavilion at all of the station are structurally complete and have their precast panels in place. Some have escalator and or elevators in place at various stages of completion. The last one to go up was Herndon north, go figure, it still has a some precast panels that still need to be installed. I noticed a lonely pedestrian bridge segment sitting on the ground near traction power substation #13 at Herndon. Seem there was a late change order made, that pedestrian bridge segment will connect the Herndon south entrance pavilion to level 2 of the existing garage.

At Dulles Airport, roughly 85 percent of the glazing between the mezzanine and station platform has been installed. The canopy is mostly complete. The precast panels on the station will not have the brick veneer like the other stations. The 4 mezzanine to platform elevators will be traction as apposed to hydraulic as use at the other stations and entrance pavilions. Something that was not spotted by me early on is there will be a traction power tie breaker on the east end of the station platform. All of the traction power substation and tie breakers on the airport property will not have precast concrete panels with brick veneer like the others, but will have vertical corrugated gray medal siding like what is used on the various airport service building.

The second new garage at Herndon is structurally complete, there will be no garages at Reston Town Center. A garage is near completion at Innovation Center south. The garage at Loudoun Gateway is roughly half done. A garage at Ashburn north is done and is open now to free parking.

Little to none of the of the sidewalks, access roadways to the garages, kiss and ride and bus terminals has been done at most of the stations. The exceptions being Innovation Center south and Ashburn south, both of those station have their bus terminal roadways in place. An aside note, the last 2 lane segment of Sunrise Valley Drive is being widened to 4 lanes just west of Innovation Center.

Track laying is mostly complete, only few short segments east of Ashburn need to be done. All of the interlocking track work is done. Third rail has been completed to the west yard lead junction and is proceeding to the west. It’s going to be a roller coaster ride through the west yard lead junction on the mainline.

Electricians have begun work wiring up signaling and training control as far west as the yard lead junctions. Signal heads have been installed at the interlocking was far west as the double crossover along Autopilot Drive. Fence intrusion detection is at various stages of completion east of the airport. The traction power cable management on the airport elevateds appears to be more compact then what was installed in Tysons Corner.

Traction power substations are mostly done with some still remaining to have their transformers installed along with their enclosures. The transformers are being sourced from a manufacture in Roanoke Virginia.

The buildings at Dulles Yard are structurally complete and like the airport station do not have brick veneer on them. Track work is mostly done and the electricians have begun work wiring up signaling system. Third rail has been installed in the storage tracks and along most of the length of the leads. Access roads in the yard are at various levels of completion.

The VA-606 widening project from 2 lanes to 4 south of the Dulles Greenway in front yard was completed and opened late last year.

###

Word has it the pedestrian tunnel to garage 1 is suppose to be reopened this month, 10 2018. Anybody have and information on a scheduled date? The reason I ask is I plan to do my next update after the tunnel reopens. Tunnel open or not, next update will be posted no later then early November.
DeafFlyer and DCA writer like this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by SandBoxJohn
Forgot to cross post my Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project Pictures from 09 18 2018

###

Word has it the pedestrian tunnel to garage 1 is suppose to be reopened this month, 10 2018. Anybody have and information on a scheduled date? The reason I ask is I plan to do my next update after the tunnel reopens. Tunnel open or not, next update will be posted no later then early November.
As of last week the tunnel was still closed. They're running out of month if they want to re-open 2018. Would like to see it reopened as well.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Originally Posted by zig666
As of last week the tunnel was still closed. They're running out of month if they want to re-open 2018. Would like to see it reopened as well.
Travelers Aid folks at Dulles saying the tunnel would be open by Thanksgiving.

UPDATE. Tunnel will re-open on Tuesday, November 13, 2018.
zig666 likes this.

Last edited by Annandaler; Nov 5, 2018 at 4:51 pm
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:41 pm

Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project Pictures 12 09 2018

All of the stations are essentially done, platform tile, granite edge, stairs. Escalators and elevators in the stations and entrance pavilions are in various stages of completion. Unable to verify the completion of the floor finish on the mezzanines and pedestrian bridges of the stations with the exception of the Dulles Airport. Floor tile is yet to be set on that station mezzanine.

All of the trackage is complete. The installation of the wayside train control and signaling hardware is well underway. It's far along to the point that the signals in the Innovation Center interlocking and in the Horsepen Run and Autopilot Drive interlockings on either side of the airport station are displaying red aspects. Installation of the wayside train control and signaling hardware west of the west yard lead is less far along. The 35KV power supply bus has been energized, most if not all of the passenger stations are drawing power from that distribution system. All of the traction power substation and tiebreakers are for all practical purposes complete. Third rail cable connections are done to the west end of the west yard leads.

Reston Town Center north entrance pavilion has its glazing in place and the sheet medal roofs installed. Grading for the bus terminal roadway and walkways has not been done. It appears that a contract has been let, presumably by others, to construct a pedestrian bridge that will cross from the entrance pavilion to north side of Sunset Hill Road. South entrance pavilion has yet to have its glazing placed and the sheet medal roofs installed. Grading partially complete for the bus terminal roadway and walkways adjacent to the entrance pavilion.

Herndon north entrance pavilion has yet to have its glazing placed and the sheet medal roofs installed. No grading has been done for the walkways the will access the entrance from Herndon Parkway. South entrance pavilion has some of glazing in place and the sheet medal roofs at yet to be installed. The elevator and stair structure that will directly connect the existing garage entrance pavilion only lacks the roof panel and the pedestrian bridge between has not been set.

Innovation Center north lacks its sheet medal roof on the entrance canopy at the opening the grade level pedestrian bridge. The bus terminal roadway is complete. Some of the walkways have been place at the west end and grading is done for the remainder. South entrance pavilion has its sheet medal roof and some of the glazing is in place. The bus terminal roadway is in place as mentioned in previews post. Grading for the walkways adjacent to the entrance pavilion had not been done. The contractor building the garage has begun to correct the issues involving the premature settling of the columns by placing large spread footing at their base. Walkway have been placed along the new eastbound Sunrise Valley Road roadway that has not been opened to traffic.

Dulles Airport entrance security gate is in place in the now open garage 1 pedestrian tunnel. Opposite of the entrance is another security gate that the fare vendors will be located at. Glazing between the underside of the elevated and the walls surrounding the mezzanine have been placed. Grates that will control the convection are flow between top of the glazing and the underside of the elevated is partly complete. Shelters on the platform are partly complete. Station name signage along the parapet wall opposite the platform edges has been placed. The concrete walls enclosing the ancillary areas under the elevated and at platform level will be covered with vertical seamed sheet metal siding that is use on existing airport authority service and ancillary buildings on the airport property.

Loudoun Gateway lacks its sheet medal roof on the entrance pavilion and has yet to have its glazing placed. The garage is structurally complete. There has been no grading done for the station access roadways, bus terminal an walkways.

Ashburn both north and south entrance pavilions lacks their sheet medal roofs and no glazing has been placed. The mezzanine canopy also lacks its sheet medal roof. Grading has been done and curbs have been placed in the east half of the north bus terminal. Grading has been done and curbs have been placed in the station access roadway to halfway around the curve the west half of the bus terminal, As mentioned before the bus terminal at the south bus terminal is complete. No walkways are in place at either the north or south bus terminals or entrance pavilions.

Dulles Yard has all of the track work done. The signaling system installation is well under way. Most if not all of the roadways and parking lots are done. Installation of the security fence around the yard is mostly complete. Installation of the access gates and gate houses has not been done.

Pictures at my Flicker Photo Stream
album.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:10 pm

NBC 4 report: crummy concrete at Dulles Yard

NBC's Adam Tuss has a report out today that the concrete in the walls of some of the buildings in the Dulles Yard--unclear which--has started developing cracks. That's pushed back completion of the yard by another 115 days, to May 26, 2020 if I'm correctly reading the document that Tuss shared in a tweet (see below). The report also cites problems with crumbling pavement, "safety changes" needed for some platforms in yard buildings, and some crane parts imported in violation of "Buy America" contract provisions, all of which seem like less critical issues.

NBC's coverage of this can be overly dramatic--the anchors this evening asked Tuss if this and the Silver Sprint Transit Center suggest some broader failing with Metro and concrete, which seems a dumb thing to say considering that MWAA owns this project while Montgomery County botched the SSTC. Overall, I'd trust Sand Box John a little more; what are you hearing, sir? By which I mean, please please please tell me I'm not going to be waiting into 2021 to take Metro to IAD!

Last edited by DCA writer; Dec 19, 2018 at 5:11 pm Reason: I forgot FT can't handle embedded links to tweets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.