Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Is Westchester (HPN) the best airport to fly into NYC for.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2009, 2:03 am
Original Poster

What do you think?

I love White Plains/Westchester County Airport (HPN) and security is a breeze. The only thing I dislike about it is the small regional jets, although the United Explus is making it better. But this airport rocks, security is a breeze, its a real nice alternative to NYC's congestion.

What do you guys think, is this the best airport for business travelers looking to get around the congestion of the big 3?
Old Nov 6, 2009, 10:40 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, US, FlyingBlue
It's a nice airport if your final/starting destination is Westchester or Fairfield county. If you're starting or ending from NYC proper (Manhattan & the boroughs), you're much better off with the big three.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jonesman08
What do you guys think, is this the best airport for business travelers looking to get around the congestion of the big 3?
Depends on where one's destination is after landing.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: NW Gold, YX Executive
I'll reiterate what the others said. If you're going to anywhere north of the Bronx and east of the Hudson, and you don't need to use public transit (bus or rail), HPN is your best bet. Otherwise, any other NYC-area airport will likely be more useful.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
My company's North American HQ is very convenient to HPN and I have mixed feelings. When everything works, it's wonderful- rental cars outside the door, small and very easy to navigate, etc. The gate areas can get very crowded at 5 PM- not enough seats, only a small food stand and some crappy vending machines, way too many announcements for that small space. I also suspect that when there are bad weather conditions and they're slowing down takeoffs at EWR, JFK, LGA and HPN, HPN gets the short end of the stick. If a 737 takes off 2 hours late from JFK they have far more ticked off people with missed connections than they do if they delay a Jungle Jet at HPN.

I would not use HPN if my real destination were Manhattan, although they do have train service to Grand Central Station from a nearby commuter station accessible by taxi. IMO, you need to allow way too much safety margin if you're trying to get between Manhattan and HPN by car because you never know what the traffic will be like.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I'm based in HPN.

Years ago, White Plains/Westchester County airport had very high fares. These days, thanks to Northwest, many of the airlines offer competitive fares... or lower fares than JFK/LGA.

UA flyers have mixed odds on flying a 170 to ORD.
Headed to IAD and you'll fly a regional jet.
Routing through IAD does offer more miles than transiting ORD.

It's a pretty airport. About 15 years ago, it was an old W W II quonset hut, and looked it.
These days, with jetBlue and Air Tran, we're a crowded airport.
There is limited bus service to downtown White Plains, where you can take the railroad into the city (that's Manhattan). The trip from HPN to WP is 15 minutes, and the railroad is 32 - 48. Local vs express. FYI, if you have a very early flight out of, or a late inbound, you're SOL on the bus. Do not, whatever you do, take the car service located in the baggage area. They're expensive. Call the local WP taxi (Splendid) at 914 682-2222.

In bad weather, especially when there's fog, HPN shuts down. In the early 1980's, 2 or 3 private jets went down.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:06 am

Newburgh

I've flown Jet Blue between Florida and Newburgh. It was easy to get into the city. However, there is the additional rental car cost and parking.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:58 am

Programs: Credit Cards
I was at HPN the other day and parking was way too small. Only spots available on the top level, luckily every level has a covered walkway from the terminal.

Terminal itself felt super small, comparable to Newburgh. But very convenient for the travelers, no long walks from the plane to the car.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by tondoleo
I've flown Jet Blue between Florida and Newburgh. It was easy to get into the city. However, there is the additional rental car cost and parking.
SWF is a pain with the BUS,and it's a bit of a long ride into Manhattan via metro-north..Easy airport though!
Cheers
Howie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.