Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

All cellular networks to work in DC metro!

All cellular networks to work in DC metro!

Old Oct 15, 2009, 7:58 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Smile All cellular networks to work in DC metro!

Starting Friday, October 16!

FINALLY, the undergorund Verizon monopoly is broken! ^^
Old Oct 16, 2009, 6:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors, Amex Platinum
From here:

"Until now, only riders with Verizon service and Sprint customers -- with roaming charges applying -- have had underground service on a wireless network as part of Metro's contract with Verizon since 1993.

The transit agency is required to expand the service as part of an agreement with Congress over additional federal funding for Metro."

Ugh.. Metro. So basically, they only reason WMATA is expanding service is because Congress pretty much put a gun to their head and, of course, WMATA is now going to comply because funding is tied to it.

"Verizon Wireless, Verizon was allowed to build and own the previous network, invest $7.6 million in building a public safety radio communication system for Metro and pay Metro annual usage fees. Metro received $46,000 in revenue from Verizon in 2005, $33,000 in 2006 and $28,000 in 2007, Metro officials have said."

Ha... Verzion executives laughed all the way to the bank on this one when they cut this deal. They only paid an average of $36,000 thousand a year (for these three years) for exclusive rights down there? I missed this the first time I read the article, but I like Verizon's marketing department.. nicely done by calling it a "public safety radio communication system."
Old Oct 16, 2009, 8:27 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Actually, the expanded service applies only to the platforms of 20 stations. No service other than Verizon in the tunnels before 2012.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 5:47 am

There goes my relatively quiet commutes.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Do we know which 20 stations get the service initially?
Old Oct 17, 2009, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I'd be happy with some kind of "no voice" rule. Use your blackberry, text to your heart's content, but don't have loud obnoxious calls.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 11:01 am

Even though Verizon works in the Metro, the service actually sucks. Not even worth the call because they always drop from one station to the next.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I'd be happy with some kind of "no voice" rule. Use your blackberry, text to your heart's content, but don't have loud obnoxious calls.
Um, it's the subway, not the Amtrak quiet car Besides, the train can be loud enough on its own to prevent any sort of voice conversation.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 1:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors, Amex Platinum
Update...

I was on the Metro today and decided to see how the iPhone held up. I'm a little surprised... WMATA/AT&T didn't manage the screw this up. I got on at Vienna and, of course, had signal until Ballston. Ballston to Rosslyn had no service. But for the rest of my journey, I was able to get service on the platform/while waiting for the train to depart. Some of the stations are close enough where you can manage to keep your signal while the train is in motion. My iPhone showed me having all my bars and 3G.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by DCA writer
Besides, the train can be loud enough on its own to prevent any sort of voice conversation.
I'm sure that won't stop people.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 8:46 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Originally Posted by gleff
Do we know which 20 stations get the service initially?
There was a list in the Washington Post's "Get There" blog. I believe it is most of the ones inside the district core, as well as the Blue Line stations between Crystal City and Rosslyn.

Ballston has service, but the rest of the Orange Line between Rosslyn and there does not.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:27 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
I used the new service Tuesday night and it was perfect: emails and texts reconciled on my Blackberry at Ballston, Rosslyn and most of the Orange/Blue DC stations (I was going to Eastern Market).

That's all I need underground. It's too loud and obnoxious to talk on the phone anyway. ^

Here's the map of covered stations:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.