Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Barcelo near Puerto Vallarta

Old Aug 2, 2009, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've read dozens of online reviews for this place. Many love it. Many hate it. Can someone persuade me yea/nay?

BTW The rate for our dates is very attractive for an all-inclusive in Mexico.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
I've read dozens of online reviews for this place. Many love it. Many hate it. Can someone persuade me yea/nay?

BTW The rate for our dates is very attractive for an all-inclusive in Mexico.
From what I've heard from clients as a travel agent over the past 14+ years Barcel La Jolla de Mismaloya is a good value with some "challenges", the main one being an almost gravel beach that is in a small bay with tides that take away much of the sand at certain times of the day. This resort also is not new, so may show it's age at times and in places.

Beware their room description also uses the term "Junior Suite - Bedroom" but that doesn't mean it's in reality a one bedroom suite as it's only one larger room without a separate bedroom per se. For a truly separate bedroom with a door to close off of the living area you have to upgrade to a "Master Suite". Many tour companies are not that good at pointing out this distinction unfortunately, though the Barcelo website is excellent with room views. BTW the rooms are large and well appointed.

The upsides are it's a small, more intimate resort at around 300 rooms located away from the hustle & bustle of P.V. and you can sightsee easily on foot around the little town of Mismaloya and it'll have more of a Mexican/Spanish feel & clientelle thanks to the Barcelo management as they are a large Spanish hotel/resort management chain.

In short, a good value resort with fine services and ammenities but not a Caribbean quality beach by any means so if a beach is a top priority I'd suggest looking elsewhere.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcook052

In short, a good value resort with fine services and ammenities but not a Caribbean quality beach by any means so if a beach is a top priority I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

TVM for explaining the "challenges". I think we'll have to pass on this one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.