FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico-480/)
-   -   My Recent Visit Acapulco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico/933944-my-recent-visit-acapulco.html)

joan2230 Mar 19, 2009 11:27 am

My Recent Visit To Acapulco

It was hot when we came out of the airport that day, perhaps it was only mid 80’s but the humidity is rough on those of us unaccustomed to it.
Fortunately, Rudy arrived in an enormous windowed extended air-conditioned an to pick the 8 of us up and was waiting on the parking lot after we cleared security. He was born and raised in Acapulco; his English is very good and easy to understand. We started the day with a tour of Fort San Diego, which is right across the street from the pier. Originally built in 1615 to protect Acapulco from pirates and any other invaders from the sea, it has a moat which used to deter trespass.
After a drive through the Golden Zone of Hotels, restaurants and beaches, we went al the way to the Chapel of Peace, to get a close-up view of the cross that looks out over Acapulco Bay. The Chapel is beautiful, with windows of onyx, and gardens of tropical plants. The Chapel is not accessible by tour buses, which makes it a very peaceful, refreshing place to linger.
I could not believe at Rudy’s ability to navigate that big van through the narrow backstreets of the city on the way to the Old Town. The surprise of the day, for me, was glancing out of the van window and seeing this incredible mosaic on the garden wall of a house along the way. Rudy stopped the van and took a few pictures for me from his window while he explained that a couple of years before Diego Rivera died, he moved into the Acapulco house of his friend, representative & benefactor Dolores Olmedo, to recover from an illness. When he was well, he created the mosaic mural. It was a total surprise and one I will long remember. I didn’t know that any of his work was even in Acapulco, much less displayed on a wall on a side street.
After our scenic stop we headed to the Mirador Hotel for the cliff divers, and arrived shortly before the 1:00pm show. Our final stop was the Flamingo hotel where the movie stars all stayed. Rudy even got us out to the round house that was renamed the Casa Tarzan in Johnny Weissmuller’s honor. In case you might be wondering, we were well pleased with Rudy’s tour and would highly recommend his services to anyone traveling down to Acapulco on either a Panama Canal or Mexican Riviera cruise. Just yahoo his name Acapulco Rodolfo rudy Fregoso in Acapulco and you will find him, and I think this is the least I can do for someone who was so nice to us.

b1513 Mar 20, 2009 5:13 pm

This sounds like a rather odd first post after being a member of FT for one day. :confused: