Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Mexico City Layover (hours ~ three days) Master Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
CDMX / Mexico, D. F. Layover
Resources:

MEX - Mexico City International Airport / AICM master thread (airport and transportation - see wikipost)

My Mexico City Airport Layover Tour

Address: "AICM" - Aeropuerto Internacional de la Ciudad de México
(Aeropuerto Internacional Benito Juárez)
Av. Capitán Carlos León S/N
Col Peñón de los Baños
Delegación Venustiano Carranza, DF
CP 15620, México

Phone: (+52 55) 2482-2424 and 2482-2400

Website: http://www.aicm.com.mx/home_en.php (English language version)

Most comprehensive information: Wikipedia (Castilian Spanish)

Venustiano Carranza is one of the 16 boroughs (delegaciones) of the Federal District; it serves Mexico City, and is located 3.1 miles / 5 km east of downtown (getting there takes significantly longer than you would think; traffic can be very congested). The airport is one of the oldest, opening in 1928, and is limited by two runways at high altitude (7,316 ft / 2,230 m above MSL) and can not expand due to encroaching population. Recent attempts to open a new, higher capacity airport were soundly rejected by residents who would have been impacted, so this airport, Latin America's second busiest, will do for now.

FLIGHT INFORMATION: http://www.aicm.com.mx/informacional.../fids/fids.php

CONNECTIONS: Check to see if you need to connect between terminals, and allow plenty of time for that. See MEX Connection Times international / domestic master thread

Interterminal Transportation - Aerotrén / Air Train: The landside elevated Aerotrén APM (Automated People Mover) claims to move only those connecting passengers with boarding passes between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. It consists of two to four cars, each with 25 passenger (with baggage and hand carry) capacity, per train, which travels at 28 MPH / 45 kph over the 1.9 mi / 3 km range. Time en route is 4:40 (min), dwell time in each terminal is 60 seconds, time between trains is 10:45 (min).

Interterminal Transportation - Landside red shuttle busses operate 05:00 (am) to 01:00 (am), also used during Aerotrén breakdowns, are labeled ""Transportación entre Terminales"; the stops are at entrance No. 6 of Terminal 1 and entrance No. 4 of Terminal 2. They are air conditioned, have luggage spaces and are wheelchair-accessible.
[IMG]http://www.worldtravelguide.net/sites/default/files/MexicoCity(MEX).png
MEX airport map - "train" is the #5 / yellow metro station

ARRIVING: If you are arriving from an international flight without a connection (you are terminating at MEX), you must have your forms filled out - see Requirements for visiting Mexico as a tourist ("tourist card", visa etc.).

You may have a lengthy walk down the glassed-in arrivals corridor. This corridor has glass door controlled areas to allow people from the departures area cross through the arrivals corridor (like using an air lock), so you could be detained by a boarding aircraft. In April 2014 we were detained nearly fifteen minutes enough route from the 30s gate as a TACA flight boarded and our passage was blocked by glass doors.

Proceed to the corridor end and down one floor to the not-so-well marked exits for "Migración" and proceed to the sometimes lengthy queues to present your passport and documents. Your tourist card will be stamped and you will be given a portion back - turn it in on your departure (if you lose it, expect to pay a fine and have to spend some time with formalities). (When you check in at MEX, the form will be stapled to your boarding pass, and removed at the boarding gate - if somehow you do not have it at counter or gate, you'll have to return landslide and fill out forms and pay a MXN 307.00 fine.)

Once your passport is stamped and your "Tourist Card" / FMM is validated:

If you're connecting to another domestic destination on the airline you arrived on and your baggage is checked through, your baggage will be delivered to you at your final destination.

If otherwise, proceed to the baggage carousels and look for your flight to be displayed. Carts are available. Retrieve your baggage and proceed to "ADUANA", where you will queue up one more time. Normally, as you approach the customs kiosk, you will walk up to what looks like a small traffic light / robot and press the large button; a Green light means you can proceed, a Red light means further Customs formalities and inspection. You normally then put your bags on a conveyor belt for x-ray screening, and then you are landside in the arrivals floor scrum.

BAGGAGE STORAGE

If you recover your baggage and have a layover, there are left luggage / baggage storage / GUARDA EQUIPAJE* at AICM, ~100 MXN per day.

*Goo-ARR-dah ay-kwee-PA-hey

Terminal 1: Internacional area 10 between Gates 7 and 8, Area E-2; 24 hours a day.

Terminal 2: in front of the Domestic Arrivals area, 24 hours a day.

OFFSITE TRANSPORTATION:

Mexico City Area Map (midwesternerinmexico.com http://bit.ly/1iTjS4P)

By taxi: The authorized taxi stands at the airport have "Transporte Terrestre" kiosks where you can buy a ticket to your destination, and then proceed outside to the taxi line to catch the taxi. DO NOT pay attention to touts or walk across the street to pick up unaffiliated or pirate taxis - kidnapping and assault are not unknown if you choose to do this.

Uber: see https://www.uber.com/cities/mexico-city.

You may wish to read over this informative page about using taxis (and the various kinds of taxis available), with particular emphasis on Mexico City taxis.

Walking out of the airport - Taxi Sitio (Rank) (from WikiTravel - http://wikitravel.org/en/Mexico_City)
Be aware the airport is not located in the best area of the city, so it is not recommended for tourists to walk outside the airport terminal in search for cheaper taxi service unless you have pre-arranged your service. Definitely do not attempt this if you are not comfortable speaking Spanish. Despite this, an alternative Taxi Sitio (taxi rank or site) can be reached by using the overpass located outside of Gate D. Taxis here are about half the price of the official airport taxis and are considered secure. This is the Sitio (taxi rank) that is set up for the airline employees.
By Metro: If you have no luggage, you can use the Metro (Line 5 / Yellow Line, station Terminal Aérea) (serves Terminal 1 only - use interterminal shuttle bus to Terminal 2)and connect to your destination (most will connect to other lines at Pantitlán south, or Oceania north of Terminal Aérea). Tickets (and passes) can be purchased from kiosks, and cost $3.00 pesos per trip (~€ 0.15, or ~US$ 0.24). Hours are 05:00 a 24:00 weekdays, starting 06:00 Saturdays, and 07:00 Sundays and holidays. Website (Castilian Spanish).

Local Bus: The best local bus is the articulated BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) Metrobús Line 4 - the electrically-powered red bus runs in priority roadway lanes from 04:30 (am) to midnight), departures every 20 minutes, takes 30 minutes to downtown historic center / centro histórico, costs $30.00 pesos (about US$2.40 / €1.80) single / one way, has luggage space.

Catch it on the ground floor of Terminal 1 opposite Gates 6 - 7, and Terminal 2 near the taxi rank on the ground floor / arrivals. Get your tickets from automated kiosks with peso coins or credit card; sweep your card past the validator as you board. See this page (English version) for details.

MUSEUMS in the City: Link to listing over all museums in the City.
Print Wikipost

Mexico City Layover (hours ~ three days) Master Thread

Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Mexico city - what to do with a few hours

I will be working in Mexico City this week and weekend. I won't have a lot of free time, about 5 hours after arrival, and maybe a half day at the end. Plus a night or two.

I'm staying at a MEX airport hotel, and will have a car.

Questions:

- Any recommendations on where it is safe to drive around MEX? Maybe some areas to avoid due to traffic? I'm pretty adventurous but it doesn't hurt to know what to expect. I have not driven in Mexico before, or been to MEX. If it is better to take a taxi I am just fine with that, but I will have a car.
- I am looking for suggestions on what to do during my free time both during the 4-5 hours I might have during the day and the nights that might be available. For daytime excursions I like history and nature and 'local flavor', not a big fan of 'touristy' places but of course some tourist meccas are worth it. I am a male in my 30s and not too into clubbing, etc but I do like a good drink and an interesting bar scene.

EDIT: I did find the below thread after posting this. However since I have a vehicle and not exactly on a layover, there might be some more specific advice that the forum has.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexic...er-thread.html

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: Aadvantage
The "Condesa" area is a food/bar mecca. I use uber all the time in Mexico City. Much less hassle than driving and very reasonable
http://theculturetrip.com/north-amer...a-mexico-city/
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
You do not, I repeat, do not, want to drive there, if you are unfamiliar with the city. UBER works pretty well, as to hotel "Sitio" taxis. There is no place without horrible traffic at most hours.

If you like history and nature, the Anthropology museum is among the world's best, which is history, and it is located in Chapultepec Park, which is a park, which is nature.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:23 pm

Thanks. Is the traffic the only reason to avoid driving, or is there a safety concern? I will be driving for work so I'll be out there at times...

What about Teotihuacan? I was thinking that might be a good trip if I have 4-5 hours...

Cheers
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
You have uber, taxis, and a good public transport system in the city. Why in the world would you want to drive there?

It's about 45 min each way to/from Teotihuacan with no traffic, which leaves you less than two hours there, which I would say is not enough.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Palal
You have uber, taxis, and a good public transport system in the city. Why in the world would you want to drive there?

It's about 45 min each way to/from Teotihuacan with no traffic, which leaves you less than two hours there, which I would say is not enough.
Not at all, and the one time I went there (early afternoon?) it took at least 90 minutes to get there.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
Well if I have a car and the company is paying for it and fuel, I don't think it is totally insane to think my first choice would be to drive.

I'm not trying to be difficult and I am not averse to public transport (in fact usually it is my preference). But I think it is a reasonable question to ask for clarification on why I shouldn't drive. I just want to know why that opinion is so strong, particularly if there is any danger to look out for.

Thanks
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Well if I have a car and the company is paying for it and fuel, I don't think it is totally insane to think my first choice would be to drive.

I'm not trying to be difficult and I am not averse to public transport (in fact usually it is my preference). But I think it is a reasonable question to ask for clarification on why I shouldn't drive. I just want to know why that opinion is so strong, particularly if there is any danger to look out for.

Thanks
It is less the danger and more the traffic that can be so intolerable and the streets so confusing that it will take the joy out of any tourist part of your trip. UberX is so cheap, and you don't need to deal with parking, that you would be crazy to even think of driving. I am really not kidding. I have spent countless hours on my last couple of trips with a lifelong DF resident sitting in just intolerable traffic. We've missed the Mole festival because it took about 2 hours to go what should have been a half hour, we missed the opening hours of the Frida museum in Xochimilco because of the same jam, we had an abbreviated time at the pyramids, we spent about 30 minutes going one block because of an unexpected jam on the street for a trip that would have been a 15 minute walk, we know it took them 2 hours to get from Reforma to the main bus terminal - not far from the airport (to drop other relatives off) ... at least I was with someone who knew where he was going, and we could visit ... but the tourist experience via car tested everyone's patience, yes even to get the few KMs to get to Museo Soumaya and park, and the get back to the Pozole place for a late lunch.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by CPMaverick

Thanks
Of course, we have no idea where you have driven. Cairo? Tokyo? Nairobi? New York City? Jakarta?

Mexico City is frustrating and can have the most horrible jams imaginable. Residents (such as my family members) have an unending number of tales of stress and frustration, and I just no longer drive in Mexico City if I can avoid it - and I've been driving in Mexico City since the 1960s. And yes, there are a few areas that are dangerous (on Insurgentes and Reforma you can be dodging performers, vendors and even the occasional smash and grab artist, though electric turn signals seem to have reduced the number if watch and rung snatchers standing in the medians).
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
AS240 just pushed back, so looking at a quick visit into town depending on how arrival formalities go. Depart on KL686 so it is a bit tight. Thanks for all the feedback in this thread. It's been a few years since I've transited.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.