Wiki Posts
Search

SIM card options for Mexico

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by frogtog
Stumbled in to this thread after searching for topics on swapping sim cards when I go to cancun and isla mujeres.

I hv an S4 and am thinking the same when I go to Isla in a few weeks. So my question is can you get a sim card in Cancun and where? Which phone co to choose? Sounds like Telcel is suggested here.

Does google maps work on Isla? Thats mainly what I will use it for besides checking email. I have found google maps to be a great gps when I am travelling.

Thanks
Isla what? "Isla" just means "island", and there are tons of Islas.

Since you mean Isla Mujeres, Quintana Roo, Google maps does provide coverage, and there is an OXXO market there (best place to stock up on a all kinds of things. Enjoy!

OXXO: Calle Avenida Hidalgo No Supermanzana 1, Manzana 20, near Abasolo, Isla Mujeres (don't try this address in Google Maps - use OXXO instead).

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 25, 2015 at 1:24 pm
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm starting to wonder whether Telcel's website allows reloads with US cards at all. From what I've read online, "some" US cards supposedly work but every single card I've tried thus far (Chase, BMO/Diners Club, Capital One 360) and PayPal have resulted in the same error message telling me to contact my bank. It doesn't seem like it's actually going much farther than Telcel's servers either as I don't get the typical fraud alerts when something declines.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: AM, UA, AA
You can download Telcel Pay and use PayPal with it
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rene86mx
You can download Telcel Pay and use PayPal with it
I didn't see a "Telcel Pay" app offhand but I'll look again. However, the Mi Telcel app seems to produce the same message as the website (and doesn't support PayPal either, unlike the website).
Old May 10, 2018, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Currently in Mexico. Out of curiosity, I tried to reload online through MiTelcel again. This time I went through a process where I had to put in the amount in pesos they charge (under $1) as some sort of verification step. You're only given two attempts before the reload is cancelled altogether.

Of course, even after being able to complete verification on one of my cards (which required some calculation due to US banks only showing USD amounts), it still failed to reload. Not to mention that I ended up getting a fraud alert and needing to call Chase for my other card.

Oh well.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 1:03 pm

Considering a Telcel prepaid 4GLTE SIM card for an US phone from Amazon for an upcoming trip to CDMX. Any thoughts/concerns? Are SIM cards readily available at MEX? Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Old Nov 23, 2019, 8:54 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by lamphs
Considering a Telcel prepaid 4GLTE SIM card for an US phone from Amazon for an upcoming trip to CDMX. Any thoughts/concerns? Are SIM cards readily available at MEX? Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Who is your US cellular provider? With some Verizon and AT&T plans roaming in Mexico is free.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
Who is your US cellular provider? With some Verizon and AT&T plans roaming in Mexico is free.
T-Mobile too (roamed on Movistar when I was last in CDMX, no complaints). The Telcel SIM I also had was pretty much relegated to the hotspot that I brought along.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.