Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

TIJ airport parking cheaper/better/easier than parking in San Ysidro?

TIJ airport parking cheaper/better/easier than parking in San Ysidro?

Old Nov 16, 2006, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Blue
Question TIJ airport parking cheaper/better/easier than parking in San Ysidro?

Hola amigos!

I'm based in southern California and am planning on flying from TIJ to MEX in April. I'm weighing either leaving the car in San Ysidro, walking across the border, and taking a cab over to the airport, or just driving over the border (probably at Otay Mesa as it's closer, I think) and parking at the airport.

My question is this: would the price of car insurance for a week of sitting in a lot at TIJ negate the cost savings and hassle-saving of parking at TIJ instead of parking in San Ysidro? I'd really prefer to just drive into the airport and walk to my flight and not negotiate the hassles of taxi haggling, but there's no information on how to do this on the airport's website.

Any advice you can provide about insurance, reputable places to park near the border that won't cost me $150 for a week, or what to expect at TIJ would be much appreciated!

Gracias!
Old Dec 20, 2006, 1:07 am

Programs: AA EXP
The last time I checked parking at TIJ, it was 170 pesos per day or more than $15. I'm not sure if there are any discounts, but this would mean parking at San Ysidro or Otay (I actually don't know of a lot by Otay, but there may be) would be a cheaper option. Plus, you can walk across the border when you get back and avoid the lines.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 9:35 pm

Programs: Volaris, UA Nothing
You should definitely park in San Ysidro or Otay. Unless you're part of the SENTRI program, you will likely spend a minimum of 1 hr and a max of 3 hours coming back from Tijuana City. Also, the airport in TIJ is not the safest in terms of your car getting dinged by other parked cars. I've seen it happen quite a few times.

If you park in San Ysidro, you can park in front of the Plaza Las Americas. The daily rate is about $7 USD per day. There are other parking lots such as the one behind World Duty Free that is much closer to the border on the way down to Mexico but much farther on the way back.

Otay has extremely limited parking lots on the US side. There is one that has just started working that is behind the new mini mall with the 7-11. Its $10 USD a day but is quite secure and very close to the Otay pedestrian area.

Aeromexico is offering a free shuttle coupon on InterCalifornia. The bus is older but they get you from San Ysidro to TIJ gratis. Volaris, the newish LCC flying from TIJ to TLC is also offering a shuttle service from TIJ to both San Ysidro and the Santa Fe Depot in downtown San Diego. The cost is about $165 MXP or about $15 USD. You can learn a little more at www.volaris.com.mx They also offer pretty low cost fares into TLC with a free shuttle from TLC into Santa Fe (Mexico City burb).

The taxi from San Ysidro to TIJ should be about $10 USD.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.