Getting from Cancun to Cozumel

Subscribe
Taking a trip this summer to Cancun, but wanted to spend a couple of nights in Cozumel also(as long as I there ya know). Has anyone ever traveled (by plane,boat,etc) between the two. TIA
You will need to get some kind of ground transportation to Playa del Carmen. It's less than an hours drive. A taxi should run around $50 one way, or there I believe is a bus.

From Playa you will take a fast ferry to Cozumel (about 30 minutes)

Have fun!
Thanks, I usually try to plan out my trips well in advance with transportation but it looks like I'll have to worry about this one when I get there. Sounds like a much shorter trip than what I originally thought. Thanks again.
Quote: You will need to get some kind of ground transportation to Playa del Carmen. It's less than an hours drive. A taxi should run around $50 one way, or there I believe is a bus.

From Playa you will take a fast ferry to Cozumel (about 30 minutes)

Have fun!
I spoke to a guy who works for a transfer company....he said that my best bet was to take a cab from the hotel zone ($15.00) and a bus to Playa del Carmen ($10). The ferry docks at PDC are 2 blocks from the bus station.

If I go this route, I'll let y'all know. Headed to CUN Tuesday and doing some SCUBA in CZM.
Sorry, meant to post a link.....
Quote: I spoke to a guy who works for a transfer company....he said that my best bet was to take a cab from the hotel zone ($15.00) and a bus to Playa del Carmen ($10). The ferry docks at PDC are 2 blocks from the bus station.

If I go this route, I'll let y'all know. Headed to CUN Tuesday and doing some SCUBA in CZM.
http://www.wohlmut.com/Maya/Cancunbus.htm

Prices in pesos. 11 Pesos = 1 USD.
Doing this is really easy. Getting to Playa del Carmen shouldn't be a problem. There are minbusses that go all the time pretty cheaply. Though if you're travelling with luggage it would probably be MUCH more comfortable to arrange a taxi or take a coach bus down. Once in Playa del Carmen you can fly over pretty cheaply, or take a short ferry over. Cozumel is OK, but IMHO there's nothing that great about it, San Miguel is touristy and small, and they don't have much in order of beaches (unlike the Cancun/Riviera Maya side of things). Great! diving out there though.

Although touristy, I would recommed spending at least 1/2 a day in Playa del Carmen. Its absolutely overloaded with tourists every day of the week, but once you get past that, its actually got a lot of charm and a lot of really cool boutique hotels, bars, and restaurants. A personal favourite of mine is the Frida Bar (which has incredible decor based off of the Mexican Artist), its on Avenida Quinta (5th Avenue). Also lots of opportunity for gift shopping, especially as you head south of the ferry dock (there's a conglomeration of shops there where you can bargain hard, and get things pretty cheaply).

Best

W
Quote:
Although touristy, I would recommed spending at least 1/2 a day in Playa del Carmen. Its absolutely overloaded with tourists every day of the week, but once you get past that, its actually got a lot of charm and a lot of really cool boutique hotels, bars, and restaurants. A personal favourite of mine is the Frida Bar (which has incredible decor based off of the Mexican Artist), its on Avenida Quinta (5th Avenue). Also lots of opportunity for gift shopping, especially as you head south of the ferry dock (there's a conglomeration of shops there where you can bargain hard, and get things pretty cheaply).

Best

W
Thanks for the recommendation! Ms. Galt does not dive; I was wondering what to suggest when I take half a day diving in CZM. I've heard that prices on souvenirs are muich better when there is not a cruise ship in dock.

We're taking day trips to Tulum/Akumal (cavern diving/snorkeling) and probably Isla Mujeres.
CUN to CZM
Quote: Taking a trip this summer to Cancun, but wanted to spend a couple of nights in Cozumel also(as long as I there ya know). Has anyone ever traveled (by plane,boat,etc) between the two. TIA
I took the "Ruta 1" city bus from the Hotel zone to the bus station (6 pesos, 60 cents; the bus station is on the left side of the street, across from a big grocery store...don't recall the name. It's cream colored with an orange pelican logo) then a bus from CUN to PDC. Buses leave every 10 minutes, cost 32 pesos (less than three bucks), and take an hour, which is about the same as when we drove it. They are A/C and have movies and airline-style seats. Then, take one of the hourly ferries from the PDC docks to CZM. The ferry dock is easy to find from the bus station and is about 2 blocks away. Cost me 180 pesos, about $18 bucks for the roundtrip and the trip took about 35 minutes. Ferries run hourly from about 7:00 AM to 9:00 PM but may skip hours during low season--ask at the ticket booth

I was in CZM to scuba dive, and did all the above lugging equipment. Agree with one of the other posters that, except SCUBA, there's nothing much in CZM. There were 4 cruise ships in port, and when the cruisers descend, the prices go WAAAY up.

I'd recommend Akumal as a really Margaritaville sort of a town. Don't know what you're looking to do....PM me and I'll be happy to give you ideas.
The least expensive and best (IMHO) way to get from Cancun to Cozumel is to:

(1) Take the bus from the hotel zone to downtown.
(2) Get off across from the downtown bus terminal, where you can either walk across the street to catch a bus to Playa del Carmen or you can stay on the same side of the street and take one of the white shuttle vans there (the latter is my preferred way).
(3) Once you get to Playa, grab either one of the ferries across to Cozumel.

Expect a total travel time of about 1 hour and 45 minutes for all of the above. For the return, reverse the above steps.
Agreed....
Quote: The least expensive and best (IMHO) way to get from Cancun to Cozumel is to:

(1) Take the bus from the hotel zone to downtown.
(2) Get off across from the downtown bus terminal, where you can either walk across the street to catch a bus to Playa del Carmen or you can stay on the same side of the street and take one of the white shuttle vans there (the latter is my preferred way).
(3) Once you get to Playa, grab either one of the ferries across to Cozumel.

Expect a total travel time of about 1 hour and 45 minutes for all of the above. For the return, reverse the above steps.
Exactly what I did...no hassles. cAAI is more succinct than I.....
Getting from Cancun to Cozumel
How far is the hotel zone from the Cancun airport? Can't you catch a bus at the airport? Any ideas of how much a taxi to Play del Carmen would be? Cozumel is still pretty laid back during the end of March. I am dating myself but I remember friends going there just to drive or snorkel and that was about all the activities going on...which still sounds good if you want to just spend time in water that isn't frozen and not have to wear layers of clothing outside...
Quote: How far is the hotel zone from the Cancun airport? Can't you catch a bus at the airport? Any ideas of how much a taxi to Play del Carmen would be? Cozumel is still pretty laid back during the end of March. I am dating myself but I remember friends going there just to drive or snorkel and that was about all the activities going on...which still sounds good if you want to just spend time in water that isn't frozen and not have to wear layers of clothing outside...
Bumping this question.. looking for the best option to get from CUN airport to Cozumel. Thanks!
I have not been to Cozumel, though many times to Cancun, Akumal, and Merida.

I found this link on locogringo forums that had some good info:
http://www.cozumel-tours.com/cozumel-ferry-schedule.htm

The forums on http://forums.locogringo.com/forums/default.asp are really very helpful for any travel info inthe Yucatan. If you asked your questions about costs there you would get an answer for sure!

"The primary gateway between Cozumel and the mainland of the Yucatan Peninsula, including Cancun and the Riviera Maya, is the passenger ferry from Playa del Carmen. Thousands of tourists and locals every day take the 45 minute ride to or from Cozumel. It's very easy, and runs nearly every hour. The ferry makes it a piece of cake to go to or from Cozumel on a day trip"

Location: The ferry terminal is located right in downtown Playa del Carmen, about a block and a half from the main square and Plaza Playacar, where most of the tour pickups take place.

Cancun Airport: Most people coming from the Cancun Airport use pre-reserved Airport Transfers. They'll bring you as far as the ferry pier. Then you'll just ride the ferry to Cozumel. Once in Cozumel, you'll take a taxi to your hotel. They're right there waiting for you at the ferry terminal. Very easy. It takes about 45 minutes to drive to Playa del Carmen from the Cancun Airport.

Mainland Hotel Guests: There is a bus that runs from Cancun to Playa del Carmen. You can also take a taxi, or use a rental car. It takes about an hour from Cancun, 15 minutes from Puerto Aventuras, and 25 minutes from Akumal.

Tip: Only buy a one-way ferry ticket. There are two ferry companies, and they don't accept each other's tickets. Doing only one-way leaves you flexibility to ride one ferry on the way there and the other on the way back.

http://www.granpuerto.com.mx/
http://www.mexicowaterjets.com/

Also suggest buying mapchick maps, we use them on every trip - they rock! http://www.cancunmap.com/

We are going to be down there again Feb 16-24th and can't wait!

Have fun on your journey ;-)
We like to go to Playa. Take the bus down to the terminal and walk from there. At last Xmas the guy in the hotel the night before said let me call you a taxi for the morning. I said no we are taking the bus. He said you better have ticket. So we walked up to the terminal and bought the tickets. He just wanted to get a commission from the taxi driver. Some things in Mexico never change.
Cancun to playa?
Quote: We like to go to Playa. Take the bus down to the terminal and walk from there. At last Xmas the guy in the hotel the night before said let me call you a taxi for the morning. I said no we are taking the bus. He said you better have ticket. So we walked up to the terminal and bought the tickets. He just wanted to get a commission from the taxi driver. Some things in Mexico never change.
What is the best way to get to Playa from the airport? I am looking for the cheapest, albeit safest, way to transfer! Thanks for your help!