Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Winning Mexican wines (Concours Mondial de Bruxelles 2017)

Old May 21, 2017, 2:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Concours Mondial de Bruxelles, Valladolid, Spain, May 5-7, 2017

Gold medal winners:
  • Casa Grande Chardonnay 2016, Casa Madero (Coahuila)
  • Casa Madero Chardonnay 2016, Casa Madero (Coahuila)
  • Casta Tinta Syrah 2014, Casta de Vinos (Baja California)
  • Duetto 2011, Bodegas Santo Tomás (Baja California)
  • Solera Blanco, Bodegas Santo Tomás (Baja California)
  • Zigzag 2014, Hilo Negro (Baja California)
Silver medal winners:
  • Casa Grande Shiraz 2013, Casa Madero (Coahuila)
  • Cardón 2013, Casta de Vinos (Baja California)
  • Casta Blanca 2014, Casta de Vinos (Baja California)
  • Casta Negra 2016, Casta de Vinos (Baja California)
  • Cuna de Tierra 2014, Bodegas Vega Manchón (Guanajuato)
  • Cuna de Tierra Nebbiolo 2014, Bodegas Vega Manchón (Guanajuato)
  • Cabernet Sauvignon Reserva Privada 2013, C. A. Cetto (Baja California)
  • Nebbiolo Reserva Privada 2013, C. A. Cetto (Baja California)
  • Sauvignon Blanc 2016, C. A. Cetto (Baja California)
  • Sauvignon Blanc Viña Kristel 2016, Monte Xanic (Baja California)
  • Syrah, Metlot and Tempranillo blend 2016, Tierra Adentro (Zacatecas)
Link to El Universal article

Link to full results, Concours Mondial de Bruxelles
Old May 24, 2017, 1:18 pm
Suspended

I don't understand why Mexican wines are virtually nonexistent in the U.S. Market. It's not like we don't get tons of excellent QPR wines from Argentina, Chile, Spain, etc. and I would think that NAFTA would give the Mexican wines some relief from the import tariffs that other countries' wines face.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by DeweyCheathem
I don't understand why Mexican wines are virtually nonexistent in the U.S. Market. It's not like we don't get tons of excellent QPR wines from Argentina, Chile, Spain, etc. and I would think that NAFTA would give the Mexican wines some relief from the import tariffs that other countries' wines face.
The "tequila mafia" has done whatever it can to quash the development of the wine industry. These wines are fairly expensive for what they are (even in Mexico) and there isn't much market for the necessary price point in the USA as the QPR just isn't there.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:28 pm
Suspended

I agree that most of the Baja-produced wine that I see when I shop in Cabo, where I go fairly often, are not compelling on a value proposition basis vs. the available selections from Spain, Chile, and even California. Although I have found a few decent bottles there at prices below 200 pesos a bottle (about $11-12 US).
Old May 24, 2017, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

There's no Economy of scale - Mexican wineries with decent wines are not producing quantities comparable to larger wineries in Argentina, Chile, Spain, etc. The hope is the production will increase as the domestic market becomes aware and the wineries de ide to produce sufficient quantities for export, maybe lowering prices to compete with Chilean prices.

The uphill part, even with prize winning wines, is to market in such ways more people get beyond the ideas of Mexico producing plonk.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The "tequila mafia" has done whatever it can to quash the development of the wine industry. These wines are fairly expensive for what they are (even in Mexico) and there isn't much market for the necessary price point in the USA as the QPR just isn't there.
Originally Posted by DeweyCheathem
I agree that most of the Baja-produced wine that I see when I shop in Cabo, where I go fairly often, are not compelling on a value proposition basis vs. the available selections from Spain, Chile, and even California. Although I have found a few decent bottles there at prices below 200 pesos a bottle (about $11-12 US).
Originally Posted by JDiver
There's no Economy of scale - Mexican wineries with decent wines are not producing quantities comparable to larger wineries in Argentina, Chile, Spain, etc. The hope is the production will increase as the domestic market becomes aware and the wineries de ide to produce sufficient quantities for export, maybe lowering prices to compete with Chilean prices.

The uphill part, even with prize winning wines, is to market in such ways more people get beyond the ideas of Mexico producing plonk.

It was only about 5 years ago when very nice Mexican wines were quite inexpensive - at least in the duty free shops where I found them to be much cheaper than in the Walmarts, Costco, and local liquor stores. but something changed recently and duty free in Mex is legalized thievery...

But the above comments are spot on. Mexican wines face much the same challenge as do Virginia Wines: at $25 people prefer to pay for some dreck label from Napa or France they think they might have heard of over some nectar they have never heard of.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC
I struggled to find any Mexican wine when I visited. Was in both Mexico City and Playa del Carmen. Albeit, touristy areas, so maybe they don't bother offering anything other than the standard plonk. Thought the airports would at least have something to offer however but couldn't see anything.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irish_goat
I struggled to find any Mexican wine when I visited. Was in both Mexico City and Playa del Carmen. Albeit, touristy areas, so maybe they don't bother offering anything other than the standard plonk. Thought the airports would at least have something to offer however but couldn't see anything.
Unfortunately, the good Mexican wines aren't common in many restaurants and probably never in airport shops. Some upscale Mexico City restaurants will have them and some better markets would. I might be able to ask my niece where in D. F. these might be available - when she returns from the Atacama desert.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 14, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:09 pm
Suspended

In Cabo this week I had the L.A. Cetto reserva privada 2013 Nebbiolo, which is one of the silver medalists mentioned in the OP. It was a very respectable bottle for 200 pesos ($11 us) at Soriana.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by JDiver
Unfortunately, the good Mexican wines aren't common in many restaurants and probably never in airport shops. Some upscale Mexico City restaurants will have them and some better markets would. I might be able to ask my niece where in D. F. these might be available - when she returns from the Atacama desert.
In addition to Soriana, I haven't had any problem finding Mexican wines in Costco, Walmart, Mega grocery stores and Sanborn's in the Toluca area and in Santa Fe in DF.

Of course, the pricing is a completely different issue.....
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:54 pm
Suspended

There's a wine shop in Tijuana airport that specializes in Mexican wines and has an excellent selection - but the prices are close to double what the same wines - when you can find them - sell for in places like Soriana/Mega/Costco. For example, the aforementioned L.A.Cetto Nebbiolo was about 320 pesos at that shop, but 199-229 pesos at those supermarkets. Most of the Mexican wines in that TJ airport shop gave me sticker shock, with almost nothing there for under 300 pesos, and most of what they offer is in the 500-1000 peso per bottle range.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.