Search

Isla Mujeres - what do, where stay and eat

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Isla Mujeres - what do, where stay and eat

We don't have much current material, but maybe we can add.

For starters, my favorite restaurant is "downtown" and is the very plain and humble waterfront restaurant owned and operated by the local fishers' co-operative, "Justicia Social" (Social Justice). The fish or lobster will have arrived that day, the people are welcoming, the menu a bit limited, the price always right. And the money stayed locally, helping the resident fishers and the very welcoming staff.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JDiver
We don't have much current material, but maybe we can add.

For starters, my favorite restaurant is "downtown" and is the very plain and humble waterfront restaurant owned and operated by the local fishers' co-operative, "Justicia Social" (Social Justice). The fish or lobster will have arrived that day, the people are welcoming, the menu a bit limited, the price always right. And the money stayed locally, helping the resident fishers and the very welcoming staff.
Justicia Social has moved and is now called Cockteleria la Justicia de Don Pino's. It is now located in the Colonia south of Chedrauri - I think it is Calle Soya.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 7:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
It all depends on the ages of the people traveling, budget, and what they like and also time of year. Isla has grown a lot over the last few years so there are lots of options from budget to luxe.

Some things to do.... Of course swimming/hanging out on the beach at the many beach clubs, diving or snorkeling - several options including the world famous MUSA, whale shark tours (seasonal), Garrafon Parque or Parque de los Suenos (zip lines, pools, SUP's and kayaks), the Turtle Farm (very successful conservation program), Punta Sur - the eastern most point in Mexico with a small ruined temple to Ixchel and a walk out to the point. Mundaca Hacienda, rent a golf cart and tour the island. There is also Dolphin Discovery but I don't recommend it at all.

Where to stay... depends on time of year/budget/number traveling... there is everything from beautiful luxury house rentals to hostels. Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres is the high end hotel option - beautiful property but I haven't been there since they became Zoetry. Privilege Aluxes is an all inclusive but most people eat a few meals there and the rest out. It is a good choice if you want to spend a bit and be right in the middle of things. Great location, beautiful beach. Hotel Rocamar doesn't have a beach but has a great view and is a nice budget option. Hotel Secreto is tucked away so it is a bit more quiet but within easy walking distance to everything, on the water but you have to go around the corner to swim. Na Balam Beach Hotel can be very nice if you get the right room. Their beach club Oceanvs is one of our favorites. There are so many nice vacation rentals I wouldn't know where to begin. One that is just across the road from me is the "Shell House" Casa Caracol - it is a house shaped like a giant conch shell. I've had friends stay there but never been in it myself. Lots of budget places like Hotel Belmar, Casa Maravilla Caribe, Hotel Isleno.... ($40ish/nt) but they tend to book up.

Places to eat... so many choices in all price ranges! Everything from great street tacos (yes you should!) to fine dining at places like Limon. Some true local favorites for us are El Charco (aks Deysi y Raul's), Tonicho's, Poc Chuc, Empanada's Tito's, Minino's. Others that we like are Mango Cafe, Limon, Ruben's, the new Javi's Cantina, Dinners at Fenix (nice beach club during the day too), Oceanvs in Na Balam hotel, Bally Hoo for fish, Muelle 7 - good but expensive. Zama beach club for lunch (their fish tacos are my favorite on the island). There are lots of total gringo themed places that we don't go to so you'll have to find them on your own. There are a bunch of restaurants on Hidalgo (the main tourist drag) and most of them are pretty good - but I listed some of the alternatives. Lots of tiny hole in the wall places that are really good but may/may not be open at any given time. If a place is open try it! Keep in mind that Mexican food here is NOT tex-mex. It is Yucatecan. Think seafood/fish/pork. Very little beef. If they tell you something is Picante (spicy) they mean it. Yes you can drink things with ice in them - it is all made with filtered water.

There is a ton of information on Trip Advisor. Not all of it correct but worth a look. Most hotels have the little Soul de Isla map/guide in them (and some of our photos )and it is free. You can also buy a MapChick Map if you want to do heavy exploring. It is a tiny island 4.5 miles x .5 miles so you can't get too lost...

Last edited by bzbdewd; Jul 30, 2016 at 7:37 am
Old Jul 31, 2016, 8:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thank you all for the updates!

The premier thing to do in summer is swim / snorkel with the whale sharks. Just be selective in the operator you choose. Being in the water with these gentle giants is literally awesome. Figure 15 to 40 feet length, up to 20 tons, depending on age. (No worries - they eat plankton.)

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 31, 2016 at 9:11 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.