Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

PVR / Puerto Vallarta to San Sebastian?

Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver

A friend of mine and I are going to PVR in August and was looking at day trips - San Sebastian looks interesting. I've been to several areas of Mexico, but she's never been so I'd like her to see something besides our resort.

I really have never had a good experience on any organized day tours and private tours are pretty expensive for this. It's not very far and rental cars are very cheap, but I'm still hesitant because I've never driven in Mexico and I understand it's up a mountain. Is there any reason why two young women should not undertake this drive?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I've taken an organized trip up there, one that stops at tequila farms/destilleries on the way. The roads are pretty good, so that shouldn't be a problem. (I'd probably avoid driving in the boonies after dark, though.) The town itself is nice, but pretty small.

Remember that you'll have to buy Mexican insurance when you rent a car, so the prices aren't as cheap as they look. You might look around to see if there are smaller group trips that might be more acceptable to you so you don't have to drive.

P.S. PVR is HOT that time of year, especially as you get away from the coastal breezes.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! It's not cooler up in the mountains?

In my experience, they tell you it'll be "small" and then you're in a van with 11 other people and white people start pulling out their cameras as soon as they see a poor Mexican village and it's just embarrassing all around. 😉
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
I know this is an old post, but if you are still considering San Sebastian try Superior Tours www.superiortoursvallarta.com

I know the owner Astrid, if you give her your parameters (no big van, etc) they will do their best to accommodate you.

As far as pricing I have no idea what they charge, what is cheap, what is expensive. I just know they do a good job. First time I met Astrid was on a whale watching tour many many many Decembers ago.

You can read reviews on Trip Advisor about them also.

Enjoy Vallarta !
Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:41 pm

Tour to San Sebastian

Having a rental car is a great choice, with great flexibility. If you need some directions or assisntance ask the car rental agency, they will be more than happy to help you. Here some info http://www.puertovallarta.net/what_t...ste-mexico.php
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by comfortablynumb
I know this is an old post, but if you are still considering San Sebastian try Superior Tours www.superiortoursvallarta.com

I know the owner Astrid, if you give her your parameters (no big van, etc) they will do their best to accommodate you.

As far as pricing I have no idea what they charge, what is cheap, what is expensive. I just know they do a good job. First time I met Astrid was on a whale watching tour many many many Decembers ago.

You can read reviews on Trip Advisor about them also.

Enjoy Vallarta !
Not too old! I emailed them to ask for a quote for a private tour. I'm still undecided on whether a rental car is a good idea or not. My poor Spanish is making me think it isn't.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by horse glasses
Not too old! I emailed them to ask for a quote for a private tour. I'm still undecided on whether a rental car is a good idea or not. My poor Spanish is making me think it isn't.

HI Horse Glasses, did you finalize your trip?

(Love your screenname btw)
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by comfortablynumb
HI Horse Glasses, did you finalize your trip?

(Love your screenname btw)
I did! We are taking the tour, they said there was no one else signed up for that day so it would be just us, meaning we could make adjustments to the schedule however we wanted (so no annoying 6am pick up or anything). I will report back after!
Old Oct 7, 2016, 7:56 pm

How did you like PV and San Sebastian?

Did Superior Tours work out ok for you?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.