Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Itinerary Ideas For ~5 Day Non-Beach/Relaxing Yucatan Trip

Itinerary Ideas For ~5 Day Non-Beach/Relaxing Yucatan Trip

Old Jan 1, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
I was in Merida on Dec 17-24. Flew in and out of Merida. True it is more expensive than Cancun, but it is a 4 hour plus bus ride each way.

Stayed at Lux en Yucatan, right in town. If you go to Merida, definitely stay in town for an authentic experience. A couple of miles north, there are big hotels like Hyatt Regency. Also in this area are WalMart, Sam's Club, Costco, TGIFs, Krispy Kreme, a big mall, Cadillac dealership, and of course Burger King and McDonald's. and on a big street, 6 lane road. Reminded me of Rockville Pike here in the D.C. area. Of course maybe this appeals to you.

I took local buses for day trips to Izamal and Progreso. I bought one of those organized trips to Chichen Itza. Chichen is an important historical site of course, but so touristy and so many vendors really marginalized the experience. I actually like spending a day in Progreso, on the gulf--not advertised as a big tourist place, but a good day trip, have a leisurely lunch there, walk along the water, check out a few shops. Izamal was great for a smaller town experience.

Bus was easy and incredibly cheap. About $2USD for roundtrip to Progreso, one hour each way.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Whoa, there's a Krispy Kreme in Merida now?!

Agree re: Progreso. The town is starting to live up to its name — new, vastly improved bus station, etc. — but when I first went there in 2007, it was like going back in time. Very strange to see such prime beachfront real estate so underutilized.

The bus to Progreso is slower from downtown Merida because of traffic, but if you jump on in the Hyatt/Intercontinental/Fiesta Americana/Holiday Inn area, it's only about ~35 minutes.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 11:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Another option is to base oneself at one of the reconditioned haciendas in the area. Most of them in their hay day were henequén plantations (similar to sisal, for twine and ropes, particularly for the marine shipping industry - today, minorly grown and used as a source of some synthetic hormones).

Some of the haciendas have become luxurious lodging, others miseums to the industry and its peak times (e.g. Yaxcopoil).

San Jose Tixkokob, a Starwood property in the countryside.
Mérida 38.6 km/24.0 miles
Chichén Itzá 99.8 km/62.0 miles
Progreso Port 75.6 km/47.0 miles

Hacienda Chichén resort and spa, located within the archaeological area of Chichén Itzá. (I've purchased entry tickets at the front desk and accessed the site on foot before the bus hoards arrived.)

Hacienda Santa Cruz (in Mérida's historic area, not far from MID airport, 20-30 min to cathedral in center of town)
Old Jan 2, 2016, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
Hacienda Santa Cruz (in Mérida's historic area, not far from MID airport, 20-30 min to cathedral in center of town)
I lived in Merida for 5 years and never heard the airport area called "historic." The cathedral area always gets that label. (The airport area is an older industrial area.)
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by jsk1973
Whoa, there's a Krispy Kreme in Merida now?!

Agree re: Progreso. The town is starting to live up to its name — new, vastly improved bus station, etc. — but when I first went there in 2007, it was like going back in time. Very strange to see such prime beachfront real estate so underutilized.

The bus to Progreso is slower from downtown Merida because of traffic, but if you jump on in the Hyatt/Intercontinental/Fiesta Americana/Holiday Inn area, it's only about ~35 minutes.
Yes, seeing the Krispy Kreme was kinda jarring. I forgot to mention that there's a Starbucks too. One reason to go to this area though is that the new(ish) Maya museum is there and it is worth the trip.

Overall, I really enjoyed my visit and learned a lot about the Mayas, Spanish, and sistal (which propelled the area to prosperity in the early 20th century). I was impressed with Merida Ciudad Digital -- the public parks have free wifi, and even the bus to Progreso had wifi (though spotty).
Old Jan 3, 2016, 11:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jsk1973
I lived in Merida for 5 years and never heard the airport area called "historic." The cathedral area always gets that label. (The airport area is an older industrial area.)
Yeah, the Chamber of Commerce or owner has tried casting this area in a different light.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AlanInDC
Yes, seeing the Krispy Kreme was kinda jarring. I forgot to mention that there's a Starbucks too. One reason to go to this area though is that the new(ish) Maya museum is there and it is worth the trip.
OK; thanks. I didn't realize you were talking about the newer, northern area of the city on the way to Progreso; thought you were referring to the area with the big chain hotels.

Starbucks arrived in Merida in 2007. I don't recall a Krispy Kreme; perhaps it opened after my last trip there in early 2015.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:52 pm

Another vote for Valladolid. Small town. There is enough things for about 1/2 day, but you can use Valladolid as a central base and combine with Ek Balam and Chicken Pizza

On Chichen itza, having our own car is a blessing - go there early in the morning, it will be cooler and much quieter. Buses from Cancun or Merida arrive around 11 am. After that, it's much crowdy and difficult to take great pictures.

Merida is a big city, hot, noisy and all. Sidewalks are two-three feet wide only Its mercado is indeed fun. We loved Merida, but Valladolid too. It has the charm of a small city.

And original poster said in his intention to visit "one" cenote. I suggest more, as they are all different and fun. Cenote Cristallino, Azul, Gran cenote, X'Keken, etc. Yucatan is full of cenote and sometimes your hotel staff will guide you to very quiet cenote where you will be alone.

A spectacular ruin that nobody goes to : Mayapan! Very nice, see some pictures on Google it will convince you. And you will be there nearly alone. Amazing!

Joël

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.