Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car Rental at PVR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Car Rental at PVR

I am running into rates at PVR so incredibly low that I'd like to understand what to expect.

My understanding is that base liability insurance must be included with the rental price. My US credit card does cover comprehensive and collision in Mexico. So technically it is enough to pay the base price.

I reserved via Dollar a full-size car (Jetta Classico or similar) for about $35 all in for an 8 day rental. I understand than Mexican car rental companies are inclined to 'force' insurance on US customers from supplemental liability to C&C to personal medical, etc., etc. In the US I typically decline all of those. I have no issues with putting large amounts of security holds on one of my cards either.

I don't want to get stuck with a non air-conditioned beater car from 2002 either, however, which I fear will likely happen, if insisting on a total rate of $35/week.

Can someone recommend how to go about this best? At the end of the day I need a decent full size car and don't want any surprises at the time of rental, if possible. If anyone can recommend a car rental company that rents decent cars and does not rely on extorting renters with insurance policies to make money, I am all ears.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:46 am
Original Poster

After some more searching, I am finding that Amigo and Gecko Rent A Car seem to provide the kind of upfront service that I am looking for. I have a reasonable quote for $324 / 8 days with Amigo including child seat & booster all in. Has anyone booked cars with either company in PVR?
Old Oct 10, 2015, 7:24 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I would never rent a car in Mexico w/o a total insurance package. ( Comprehensive, liability,kitchen sink, etc). Whatever you can get..even if it doubles your low rental rate. Don't just count on your C.C. insurance.

In Mexico if you are in an accident regardless of fault, you are detained and sometimes jailed until fault and insurance claims are determined. It is way better to be over insured in Mexico then just holding the minimums. And if the accident is serious...it wouldn't hurt to have a name of a Mexican lawyer ready to call on your behalf.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: Alaska, American
I was burned by this super low car rental fares once, never again. Basically they all charge this rental fees that are incredible, but they and by they i mean almost all car rental companies, dont include all of their fees. Specifically one called TPL.

Your CC does not cover this, its a mexican law that requires all drivers to have its stands for third party liability, dont ask me exactly what it covers but it is not comprehensive or collision. Everyone pays it and it costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $15USD~ per day, which as you can imagine ads up from your original $8USD a day.

Its not so much a scam as it is just a nuisance. One thing you can do, is prepay ahead of time, only national allows you to do that in PVR last time i checked. this way you will know exactly what you are going to pay
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:40 am

In the Yucatan, I have (several times over the past couple of years) paid about U$240/week for an economy car with all/full insurance, coverage amounts detailed, and zero deductible, priced out online at booking. The local agency I use there is 'no hassle', up front and I have been comfortable with the service and the coverage in case anything ever happens.

As you can see from my recent post, I had not been able to find such a "deal", preferably with a local rental company, where I intend to fly into in Baja (La Paz).
The reps from the US national chains don't even know what I'm talking about vis-ŕ-vis insurance for Mexico when I've spoken to them. When I get to a supervisory level person, they are reading from some brochure supplied to them and cannot explain the coverages. This makes me uncomfortable. When they do quote for insurance, the price is very high.

I may have found an agency based in Europe that will give me the coverage I require and a voucher to used with one of the chains. I have yet to receive my voucher and the trip is in January so I cannot speak yet to how well this works.

Good luck. Happy travels. Get all the insurance ahead of time to make sure of this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.