Wiki Posts
Search

Mexico Hotel Rates [vs exchange rates, season, etc.]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA
Mexico Hotel Rates [vs exchange rates, season, etc.]

The Mexican peso has fallen roughly 25% in the past year vis-a-vis the USD.

Is anybody seeing this reflected in hotel rates?

I understand that Cabo might be explained with reduced room inventory due to last year's hurricane....but I'm not finding anything approaching a 25% price reduction in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Ixtapa
Old Aug 7, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: HH Silver
Not me. I think they have actually gone up. Possible the hotels take the value of the Peso into consideration when pricing? You can afford to pay more if you spend less while there.... Just a thought.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hotel rates and some other prices are fixed on the US Dollar, which has strengthened against a number of other currencies (Mexican peso, Euro, etc.) The Department of Tourism usually allows new rates to be set mid-December, just in time for increased rates for the new season.

November is low season, great weather and in many Mexican resorts known as "Novi-hambre" because there's not much money coming in and everyone's hungry. If you have the flexibility, you can get some better rates November and into early December. It's like going to New Zealand in April.

You're as likely to see lower hotel rates overall as you are likely to see big discounts on air fares because of the decrease in fuel prices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.