Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Cancun adopting Eastern Standard Time

Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

I didn't see this posted but I wondered why I got an email from AeroMexico changing my arrival time into CUN. Beginning Feb. 1st, all of Q. Roo is adopting Eastern Standard Time. They will not recognize daylight savings time. Apparently, this is not the first change so in a few years it may change again.

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/here-co...503645812.html
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally, the governor of Quintana Roo decided to join time changes to "help" tourists (and some believe to look smart at joining the big powerful countries north to be chic and "with it").

Mexico needs seasonal time changes like fish need bicycles.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
None of the other articles I've been able to find on this subject mention that QRoo will not observe DST. They all make it sound like the state will be the same time as the US East Coast all year long. If this is being done to improve air connectivity with JFK, MIA, ATL, etc., (that's the reason cited in the other articles), then in another month or so, without DST, QRoo will be right back to where it is now: an hour behind the US East Coast.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:43 pm

I've found other articles that suggest that it isn't even the entire state that will make the switch. Basically, everything from Tulum north (the most touristed part of QRoo) will advance an hour. The rest of the state will not. I'd love to see an official version that has the complete story.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:20 am

No, as I understand it, it's the entire state of Quintana Roo that now will follow "Tiempo del Sureste" under what is referred to under the law entitled "Ley de Sistema de Horario de los Estados Unidos Mexicanos" as passed 14 Dec 2014 in the legislative act known as "Ley de Husos Horarios en los Estados Unidos", and the Senate act of 2012.

They will follow DST as well. Pretty much what goes on on the U.S. East Coast will be concurrent throughout the state of Quintana Roo. "Tiempo del Sureste: UTC–5 (UTC–4 en verano)." as I think it ought to read.

Quintana Roo used this in the 1990s to justify their time zone with those of other Caribbean tourist destinations as well as certain cities in the USA (Miami and New York, among them).

Among other sources: http://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husos...de_M%C3%A9xico

There has been opposition to this, but the strong support of state legislators and their supporters in the tourist corridor prevailed.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 31, 2015 at 11:33 am
Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:04 pm

Thank you for the clarification, JDiver. Then many of these articles are missing key details, or have them wrong.

There's a Facebook page opposed to the move: noalcambiodehorarioenquintanaroo ("no to the time change in Quintana Roo")
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

It's all very confusing but what I read says that Quintana Roo will not adjust for DST.

I translated this newspaper web: http://www.sipse.com/novedades/hoy-c...oo-135195.html

It says
In April, when the rest of the country Daylight Savings applies, in Quintana Roo does not make that adjustment , so will the same time that institutions of central Mexico .

"The rest of the country will change and we will remain the same, will now begin a study and analysis of the benefits that will bring the new schedule to the state," noted Cristina Núñez Alcayaga, businesswoman who has taken the baton of schedule change from term as president of the Business Coordinating Council (CCE).
It doesn't make sense to me if they were trying to grab tourists from the Eastern US, why would they not want the time to match for more than half the year?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:27 pm

That's definitely what it says in that article. This article makes the same point:

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/estado...a-1073452.html

It was decided to move ahead one hour during the five months that winter time is in effect, because in April, with the change to summer time, we will be the same as [most of the country]. In October, when summer time ends, Q.Roo will not set the clock back.
According to the article, the original proposal was to move ahead two hours. That didn't fly.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 7:25 pm

IMO, the entire idea of a tropical locale using daylight savings makes as much sense as a country covering several time zones keeping every clock to thevtime of its capital. In Quintana Roo, we'll have confusion. We'll have to see what the time actually does when we have another change.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.