Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Credit card acceptance in Puerto Vallarta (and Mexico in general; ATM use)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2015, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum

I've been reading various posts on other sites that basically say that card acceptance is fairly low in Mexico and are likely to get skimmed. Those posts are more than a few years old, however. Has acceptance improved in PV or Mexico in general since then? Also, are chip cards commonly used or do people still swipe cards?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 4:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Most major hotels, restaurants and merchants do accept major credit cards.

You'll find small shops and merchants prefer cash, even if they accept credit cards, because they seek to avoid the charges to merchants. You can sometimes use that preference to your advantage - proffer your AMEX, watch 'em squirm and offer you more discount, proffer your MC or Visa, let them offer you another small discount.

As to credit card acceptance, Visa is the most commonly accepted, followed by MasterCard, then distantly by American Express (higher merchant charges and longer to pay). Discover is not usually accepted in Mexico, and Diners branded of MasterCard might earn you some funny looks Until you point out the MasterCard logo.

Swiping is common, but as in the USA, change is in the air. And some still have the old imprint machines, a problem when you proffer a card without raised impressions.

Dynamic currency conversion is not unknown, and when offered is usually a doubly bad deal because the conversion rate is apt to be in their interest - but certainly against yours. Always insist on being charged in pesos, and be aware of poor rates (I've seen offers to take dollars at $10 MXN, and that is a truly terrible rate.)

"Likely" to get skimmed? No, I'd disagree with that, though it is certainly possible. It's not uncommon for dishonest people in many countries to feel more comfortable skimming cards belonging to people who are traveling. Don't let the card be out of your sight for lengthy times, check your pending charges regularly.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good to know! I probably won't use AmEx unless there's no other choice since my only card from them has a FTF. Sounds like I'd have few places to use it anyway.

I'm actually thinking of using the DC MasterCard most of the time due to it being chip and PIN, making it fairly useless if it does get pickpocketed (unlikely but possible). My backup chip and signature/no FTF cards would stay at the place that I'm staying. Sounds like this + a few hundred pesos for taxis and such should be a good strategy.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Good to know! I probably won't use AmEx unless there's no other choice since my only card from them has a FTF. Sounds like I'd have few places to use it anyway.

I'm actually thinking of using the DC MasterCard most of the time due to it being chip and PIN, making it fairly useless if it does get pickpocketed (unlikely but possible). My backup chip and signature/no FTF cards would stay at the place that I'm staying. Sounds like this + a few hundred pesos for taxis and such should be a good strategy.
I agree it's a good strategy. Whilst some might smilingly accept US dollars (less likely CAD, € or £), others might try to gouge you by demanding more dollars than would be just.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
I have never had problems with credit cards in Mexico and over the last 10 years or so I have been going more and more places are accepting them - even the smaller "regular" retail stores. I like how almost all places ask to see a photo ID card and, in a much more reliable practice than is used in the US, restaurants scan the card using a wireless handheld scanner at your table in front of you - preventing the "trick" of taking the card to the back and copying your numbers down. In fact, all credit card fraud with my cards has been due to people in the US (of course, frequency of use makes that more probable; might point is that as JDiver mentioned, there is no more fraud in Mexico than there is anywhere else, and maybe less due to better security practices).

When paying cash you should look to get exchange rates in the high 13s to 14 pesos per US dollar right now now before fees. Current official rate before commissions/fees is $14.6mxn to $1US

When I am negotiating with merchants in mexico to take dollars we often use Xe.com to establish rates.

Last edited by Section 107; Jan 25, 2015 at 1:50 pm
Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Not sure about PV but I spend a lot of time in San Miguel de Allende. 75% of the time my card is " accepted". Occasionally the merchant cannot seem to connect to the terminal for processing and we couldn't complete the transaction. That said...I always ask is there a discount for cash. ( there always is)

In SMA there is a problem with skimming ATM numbers off of ATMs so it is wise to use machines in popular public areas. Also, NEVER let a clerk copy your 3 digit number down on their receipt. I have heard that happening at our local Mega ( Department store) and those people's accounts are inevitably breached.
(Mega management denies there is a problem)
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:02 pm

Those are great suggestions, david4455. Nobody should write down or take your three or four digit verification code (CVV or CV2).

Some card reading machines are exceedingly slow - the connection may be slow, the machine reader may be dirty, and on heavy shopping days the lines may be overwhelmed and the merchant may be unable to get through easily (even if they attempt to call it in).

For ATM / cash machine use, look for the logo of the networks your bank is affiliated. Names may differ, logos won't. (You can often check with your bank or websites to see which banks accept your cash card at your destination prior to travel). Common networks include Visa, MasterCard, Cirrus, Star, etc.

ATM / cash machines are occasionally troublesome.

These suggestions are not just for Mexico; they apply anywhere, and we've seen these scams throughout Northern California and even where I live there. One of our newer ones are shims: link.

Here are some great illustrations of cash card scams (from Banc du Crédit Agricole in Egypt): http://www.ca-egypt.com/security/atmthefts.html

Use ATMs in well lit public areas (some banks use closed off glass atria that are card operated, but I'm not sure any card might not work).

Try using ATMs at staffed bank locations during business hours. You don't want to be stuck if the machine swallows your card.

As you look around, preferably as you scope out the ATM prior to use, look for people observing the ATM. they may use a cell phone to alert confederates once they see you have withdrawn money. A common approach involves several guys coming around the corner suddenly appearing angry and giving each other shoves. Move away smartly - the next shove will be a guy who "accidentally" spins into you, part of a pickpocket / snatch scenario. (This happened to me in Istanbul - the "flash flight" alerted me and I was able to avoid the "dip". At a bank I used commonly near home, a "watcher" assaulted an ATM customer with a gun, demanding his money.

Look around for anyone who might be waiting to have you assaulted once you have your money, but also look for anyone standing close by (used to be train station and airport public phones were good camouflage for these scammers) to "shoulder surgery" your PIN, or using optics (so it can be used when a perp steals your wallet or card).

Shield your PIN entry with your hand or hat.

Use reflective surfaces on the ATM (mirrors, chrome strips, glass) to see people are keeping their distance.

Suspect any and all protrusions that look attached and show seams between the protrusion (keypad, card reader, etc.) and the machine surfaces. See this UT-A page for illustrations. Look for brochure holders or "extra bumps" that look attached to (or near) the ATMs, and especially anything that looks like it was superimposed over the original card reader. (The "brochure holders" or extra bits may show a tiny lens, as they're recording PINs; the extra bump over the reader reads the card data and records it or sends it via Bluetooth.) even phony faceplates can be superimposed on an ATM fascia / face (link); if there are seams and gaps, just walk away.

Never, never accept "assistance" from strangers, even if they appear well-dressed. These often come with an ATM that retains your card without processing, and the "helper" is after your PIN (which you are told you must key in again). When you leave or go for help, the con removes the celluloid trap inserted into the reader, and uses your card and PIN to rob you. Link.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 25, 2015 at 5:36 pm
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Speaking of ATM skimmers, these people built a full-fledged fake ATM that goes over the real one. The chances of seeing something like that are probably low though.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Speaking of ATM skimmers, these people built a full-fledged fake ATM that goes over the real one. The chances of seeing something like that are probably low though.
"Coming soon to a mall in Brasil near you." Good gravy!

The article also dispenses good advice:

Keep a keen eye out for anything that looks amiss when you visit the ATM; if you see something that doesn’t look right, notify the bank or owner of the machine, and go somewhere else to get your cash. More importantly, make sure you’re aware of your physical surroundings when you go to withdraw money, and whenever possible use cash machines in well-lit, open places. Most people probably have a better chance of being physically mugged while at the ATM than they do getting scammed by a skimmer. According to a January 2013 report by the U.S. State Department, this is especially true for foreigners in São Paulo, Brazil, where “express kidnappings” occur when criminals force their victims to extract their daily cash limit from an ATM machine.
Express kidnappings have occurred in some seedier areas of Mexico City, and could occur in areas of Mexico currently considered unsafe for tourism. USDOS Mexico Travel Warnings.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 27, 2015 at 12:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.