Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Cabo San Lucas - Los Cabos - SJD hurricane Odile impact 9/14: conditions & status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabo San Lucas - Los Cabos - SJD hurricane Odile impact 9/14: conditions & status

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Apologies for resurrecting this thread but I have some friends going down to this area next week. They have 3 kids under 6 years old so I said I would check out the real situation from the learned FT members, not the official releases as I want the real poop.

They are actually going to Cabo San Lucas, to the Hacienda Encantada Resort and Spa. Does anyone have any specific info on this resort? Or just any general info on what the area is like now? Are beaches and services open and usuable?

Thanks for the help.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It's the weekend, so answers will be slow in coming, most likely.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by JDiver
It's the weekend, so answers will be slow in coming, most likely.
Well hopefully I'll hear something next week. They leave Friday, I think.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:46 am

GMCabo200X115 Travel Weekly's Mexico editor Gay Nagle Myers is in Los Cabos to report on the destination’s recovery progress since Hurricane Odile whacked the region on Sept. 14. One sign of progress was that the third annual Los Cabos Film Festival took place on schedule, Nov. 12-16. Here is a bit of Gay’s first report. Link.

CABO SAN LUCAS — Yes, there are some fairly dramatic signs that a major storm slammed through here on Sept. 14. Some big hotels are still closed along the 25-mile tourist corridor that links Cabos San Lucas with San Jose del Cabo, the two major towns that make up the Los Cabos region.

San Jose del Cabo, the quieter, more traditionally Mexican of the two towns, suffered more damage than Cabo with some resorts, such as the Hyatt, One&Only Palmilla, Esperanza and La Ventanas, not slated to open until early or mid-2015.

The Sheraton Hacienda reopened on Nov. 1 and Secrets Puerto Los Cabos officially welcomed guests on Nov. 15, although 113 guests already had checked in several days ahead of that date.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: WN A-list CP, IHG plat, Hyatt plat, United Silver, Hilton Gold
Any updates on this? Heading to Cabo 1/28 with my girlfriend and would like to know what to expect
Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:45 pm

Programs: AM, UA, AA
I'm in Cabo.
It pretty much depends on your hotel. Sheraton Cabo looks fine but I saw hotels still closed on my way from the airport.
Roads are fine

Enjoy your time here!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:13 am

Gay Nagle Myers, reporting for Mexico Travel Weekly, says in her 9 February 2015 article here, in part:

She says "The Los Cabos Hotel Association lists 12,225 rooms in its inventory of member hotels, although the destination Los Cabos totals more than 15,000 rooms",

and reports currently open are over 40 hotels with 8,871 rooms.

Reopenings to include:

March: Marquis Los Cabos, Sirena Del Mar Welk Resorts and Esperanza, an Auberge Resort.

April: One&Only Palmilla.

June: Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa, Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort.

July: The Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos and Hyatt Place Los Cabos

September (late): Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos.

December: Melia Cabo Real; ME by Meliá CABO sometime after.

Not planning to reopen: Marbella Suites En La Playa

For updated information, visit www.visitloscabos.com.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Gay Nagle Myers, reporting for Mexico Travel Weekly, says in her 9 February 2015 article here, in part:

She says "The Los Cabos Hotel Association lists 12,225 rooms in its inventory of member hotels, although the destination Los Cabos totals more than 15,000 rooms",

and reports currently open are over 40 hotels with 8,871 rooms.

Reopenings to include:

March: Marquis Los Cabos, Sirena Del Mar Welk Resorts and Esperanza, an Auberge Resort.

June: Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa, Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort.

July: The Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos and Hyatt Place Los Cabos

September (late): Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos.

December: Melia Cabo Real; ME by Meliá CABO sometime after.

Not planning to reopen: Marbella Suites En La Playa

For updated information, visit www.visitloscabos.com.
With the decline in available inventory, lots of the Cabo resorts have really jacked up their prices this year. This despite a Mexican peso that has just fallen to 15 to the dollar.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I am still waiting on airport updates, as the interior looked like it needed to be gutted post-hurricane.

Are the airline computers up and running? Windows replaced? Air conditioning? Vendors? Lounge?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:25 am

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
Los Cabos post-hurricane... OK to book travel for December?

Hi all, given the recent hurricane in Los Cabos, are ppl comfortable booking travel to there for December?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by safra1
Hi all, given the recent hurricane in Los Cabos, are ppl comfortable booking travel to there for December?
Please read up thread; we've merged your query into the existing thread to prevent information fragmentation and to honor those who have taken the time to share information.

Thanks,

/Moderator
Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
Does anyone know the date the Club Regina (Raintree Vacation Club) property is re-opening? The property used to be part of the Westin, but they have since spun off.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by safra1
Does anyone know the date the Club Regina (Raintree Vacation Club) property is re-opening? The property used to be part of the Westin, but they have since spun off.
http://www.raintreevacationclub.com/...ina-los-cabos/

Due to the devastation of Hurricane Odile, Club Regina Los Cabos will remain closed through July 1st, 2015. Anyone holding a reservation during this period should return to the vendor through which they originally booked to confirm cancellation and refund procedures.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: US,HH
Went through last week and the airport looks really good. Can see some minor construction still on going.

First time ever arriving in SJD where we had an actual jetway. Departure was via airstairs as usual in the past.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Glad to see. That place is heavenly. My wife and I stayed there in March 2013. Highly recommended.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.