Wiki Posts
Search

Car Rental in Cancun

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nada!
Car Rental in Cancun

Any suggestions on the best place to rent a car in Cancun? I'm flying into CUN but could rent elsewhere to save some money. I've driven in Mexico a lot so I'm familiar with insurance requirements and inspecting the cars.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 6:05 am

I would highly recommend Easyway, from whom we've rented several times out of Cancun airport. They come and pick you up, take you to their nearby office. The cars have always been what we ordered and in good shape. The price, including the insurance you choose, is shown upfront, online when you book. Discounts for AAA and for cash, at the office. Staff at all levels have been very nice, and have gone out of their way to provide great customer service.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Got a great deal from Hertz $92 ai for 7 days for our trip this month.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by balima
Got a great deal from Hertz $92 ai for 7 days for our trip this month.
The reviews of Hertz Cancun (which is not really affiliated with the US company apparently) on TA and elsewhere made me not even consider them. I read pages and pages of complaints. Perhaps do a bit more research.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:01 am

Got the best deal by using Hotwire website. They accepted to do not charge me the insurrance fees and I justified it saying that my creditcard was covering it anyway.
Result: 200€ for 10 days
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Juliensek
Got the best deal by using Hotwire website. They accepted to do not charge me the insurrance fees and I justified it saying that my creditcard was covering it anyway.
I have read on a number of travel sites for Mexico that credit card insurance coverage is not adequate if an accident occurs and that one can be held in jail until the case is completely settled. Not worth the "savings" IMO. But thank goodness, I have not had to test it out personally.

Read this:
http://www.sfgate.com/mexico/mexicom...ow-3787891.php

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Jun 9, 2014 at 10:46 am
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nada!
Thanks for the feedback. I know AMEX cover some of the insurance but not all. I actually totaled a car in mexico years ago but I had the full insurance package and it was no problem. I turned over the keys and flew home.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 11:24 pm

www.america-carrental.com/

When you get to Cancun talk to someone from this company. Do NOT make a reservation before. When you land all those companies and their representatives will be there trying to rent you a car. It's better when you deal in person because you can always say yes and no. The good thing about this company is that insurance and everything is included. Just make sure you take pics with your phone of the vehicle for any damage, dents, etc. When you deal with ANY rental company in person they will give you a price. Just lie to them and say you already spoke to another one and they gave you a better price and walk away. They will give in.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 6:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Juliensek
You must understand that in Mexico when / if you're involved in an accident, regardless of whose fault it might be, your insurance company is your bailor. Your credit card, not so. If you do not have a bailor you may find yourself detained in jail until things are sorted out. You might be lucky and have no worries, but you could wind up waiting in "la carcel". And no, you have no rights to a telephone call (not that your credit card company can do anything if you're in jail).

Mexico auto insurance - a primer

Planning to rent a car in Mexico? Insurance is mandatory in Mexico, but you may want more than the legal minimums to protect yourself - the insurance company is also your bailor if you have any trouble.

Mexico: Car Rental / Renting a Car master thread
Many of us like to drive and go off beaten paths - read this if you do too.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 23, 2014 at 6:34 pm
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:37 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by sr_tipitinas
Any suggestions on the best place to rent a car in Cancun? I'm flying into CUN but could rent elsewhere to save some money. I've driven in Mexico a lot so I'm familiar with insurance requirements and inspecting the cars.

I will traveling to Cancun next week and I am looking to rent a car. I am curious to know with which company did you ended up going through and your experience. Thanks!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by frequentflaya
I will traveling to Cancun next week and I am looking to rent a car. I am curious to know with which company did you ended up going through and your experience. Thanks!
Read the posts above. Then....
Go onto the Easyway site, pick a car, choose the full insurance, and see what the total, with tax, comes to. I'd be willing to bet no company beats their price, stated clearly upfront online (no dickering at the counter when the price turns out not to have included everything), and with all insurance you need (and shouldn't skimp on or think some cc might cover).
The only "discrepancy" might be if they give you a discount on that price at the counter for paying cash or for having a AAA auto club card.
A no brainer.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:23 am

recent Cancun car rental

recently returned from 1 week in Cancun.

booked a rental car on Hertz.com for pickup at CUN at a weekly rate of USD $55 using an AAA discount. by the time all was said and done, ended up paying about USD $220 including the local insurance (~ $25/day). other than the price difference, no real surprises. not once did we see any "tourist traffic police" lurking to pounce on unsuspecting visitors for a quick bribe - and we drove quite a bit to Tolum, Playa del Carmen, Chichen Itza, etc.

personally, I thought having a car was quite helpful. did not have any hassles whatsoever. roads in all the main tourist areas of Cancun were developed and easy to drive on.

in comparing the alternative, we were being "offered" RT taxi fare to our hotel in Zona Hoteleria for $100 for all 3 of us, which I thought was absurd. for an extra $120 more, we had reliable transportation to wherever we wanted to go for the entire week!
Old Jul 25, 2015, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Any thoughts on pick-up Cancun, drop off Merida?

Travelling with a couple of friends, this looks to be a cost effective way to be mobile in Cancun, then fit an overnight at Chichen Itza into the drive to Merida, and get a day-trip to Progreso.

Not sure about the one-way element of the rental though, and seek guidance on what to aim for in an airport-haggle...
Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Travelling with a couple of friends, this looks to be a cost effective way to be mobile in Cancun, then fit an overnight at Chichen Itza into the drive to Merida, and get a day-trip to Progreso.

Not sure about the one-way element of the rental though, and seek guidance on what to aim for in an airport-haggle...
One way car rentals tend to be quite expensive in Mexico most of the time. Though you may see a common name, the franchisee may not have rental locations in places as distant as Mérida and Cancún.

Check it out, to be sure. If not, I'd recommend renting and traveling about where you'll spend most of your time, e.g. Cancún, seeing Tulúm, Cobá, Chichén Itzá (can drive from Mérida as well).

The better bus lines can connect you between Cancún and Mérida, and if you're staying within the Mérida area you might find taxis more suited than a rental car (unless you're going to hit the Puuc Hills route or the like).
Old Jul 26, 2015, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by JDiver
Check it out, to be sure. If not, I'd recommend renting and traveling about where you'll spend most of your time, e.g. Cancún, seeing Tulúm, Cobá, Chichén Itzá (can drive from Mérida as well).

The better bus lines can connect you between Cancún and Mérida, and if you're staying within the Mérida area you might find taxis more suited than a rental car (unless you're going to hit the Puuc Hills route or the like).
OK, I did some on-line checking. The best I got was with an unspecified provider through easycars: they said the one-way additional charge would be USD93. Weighed against bus fares for three + taxi transfers + convenience, that doesn't seem too bad.

But considering your advice, and with only 6 or 7 days to play with, perhaps staying those days in Cancun would be sensible, leaving Merida for another trip. My only concern is the resort, disney-world, nature of Cancun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.