Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Safe place to snorkel from shore in Cancun?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Safe place to snorkel from shore in Cancun?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
One more pertinent piece of information regarding Akumal is that, as you are walking along the road to get there, you will encounter multiple aggressive excursion vendors telling you that you need to have a guide to go out. "Government regulations." BS. Tell them that you have your own equipment and keep on walking.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by loomis
One more pertinent piece of information regarding Akumal is that, as you are walking along the road to get there, you will encounter multiple aggressive excursion vendors telling you that you need to have a guide to go out. "Government regulations." BS. Tell them that you have your own equipment and keep on walking.
That has become a problem. But beach access in Mexico, by law, is public and free, iirc. There is certainly no government regulation requiring one to have a guide or agency to snorkel. (It is helpful to have decent equipment, a snorkel vest unless you are very accomplished, and I'd take the precaution of a snorkel with reflective or orange tip - and be very aware there's little regulation of jet skis or boats and they can be a hazard in some areas. Check boat traffic before going in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.