Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Mexico City to Chichen Itza (Chichén Itzá)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:04 am
Original Poster

What is the cheapest and/or most desirable way to get from Mexico City to Chichen Itza?

Thinking about doing a trip this summer. Only have a week and want to see both. Is this doable?

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:25 am

It is a solid 15 hour drive one way between Mexico City and Chichen Itza. And a boring drive or bus ride at that. So that's not really practical with only a week in Mexico City.

If you insist on visiting Chichen Itza from Mexico City, given your time frame, I'd suggest flying to Merida and overnighting there or near the Chichen Itza site (which is approximately 90 minutes driving time from Medida). Get up early the next morning to enter the site when it opens, thus beating the bus tours and avoiding the afternoon heat and summer afternoon thunderstorms. Fly back to Mexico City in the afternoon or evening after your site visit.

Keep in mind that there is a fantastic archeological site (with two famous pyramids) outside Mexico City at Teotihuacan. Very easy to reach on your own or guided tour from Mexico City.

Summer is the rainy season in Mexico City (and the rest of Mexico in the tropical latitudes). Expect afternoon and evening thunderstorms with occasional downpours. In my experience it usually starts pouring right around rush hour, just adding to the misery of Mexico City's traffic.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
With only a week, I'd say do one, not both. For archaeology, see the INAH Museum of Anthropology, Templo Mayor downtown (along with other sights around the Zócalo), Teotihuacan outside of town, Xochicalco and Taxco for a day south visiting an important archaeological site and colonial city known for its lovely setting and silver, etc. Xochimilco and it's floating gardens (even a little known nursery and conservancy for the critically endangered axolotl), and an amazing amount of architecture, art, food, music, etc.

Another time, preferably Feb, Mar, Nov, visit Yucatán and visit Chichén Itzá, Palenque, Dzibilchaltún, Uxmal and the Puuc Hills and other archaeological sites, as well as lovely Mérida, the White City. Definitely worth a separate trip, but not when it's hotter than the hinges of Hades' gates on a busy day. Summer in Yucatán isn't even for mad dogs.

http://www.journeymexico.com/blog/vi...ites-in-mexico

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...ulf_Coast.html
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
i agree with the comments above. this is too far to drive and a flight in and out could be done but chitchen itza in the summer would be brutal. plenty or arch sites near MEX to see. a better option would be to go to chitchen itza in the winter and base out of a nice place like tulum. if you really are into arch sites then i'd recommend coba on the way to tulum.
Old May 15, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Having seen Teotihuacan and Chichen Itza, the big benefit to Teotihuacan (unless it's changed) is that you can still go up to the top of the pyramid. If you have to go to Mexico City anyway, I would just do that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.