Reload this Page >

SJD - San Jose del Cabo / Los Cabos Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Los Cabos International Airport is a smaller airport where one may still board and deplane via mobile stairs and walks across the tarmac to / from the older terminals. It is located about 15 minutes (11 km / 7 miles) from the center of San José del Cabo, and about a half hour from the center of Cabo San Lucas.

The older Terminal 1 primarily handles the departures and arrivals of all flights from Mexico, Central America, and South America.

The new Terminal 2, which mainly handles international flights from the U.S. and Canada, has jetways and more up to date facilities, including fully refurbished facilities, a VIP lounge. See post 35 by Boraxo for information on the lounge and terminal.

Terminal 4 is currently under construction, and is to be joined with Terminal 3 for international operations in the future.

Taxis
Taxis cost roughly twice as much from the airport as to the airport.

Airport Shuttles
In addition to taxis, there are many airport shuttles from and to the airport. The shuttles are typically pre-booked, but it is possible to take one without a pre-booking (see post #59). The prices are based on these three zones:
  • Zone 1 - San Jose del Cabo city
    • Zone 2 - Corredor Turistico (Tourist Corridor)
      • Zone 3 - Cabo San Lucas city
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Those making same day turns from the US must process immigration and customs on arrival, then process back airside with valid boarding pass.

Inside, there are a few shops and if arriving, immigration (hold on to the piece of tourist card you're given back - you must turn it in upon departure or be fined and delayed whilst filling out forms) and customs.

Exiting, prior to arriving landside you may be solicited by a clot of timeshare touts offering "free transport" - outside you will find the "official" taxis and shuttles.

LOUNGES: VIP LOUNGE LOS CABOS
Hours: 9:00am – 7:00pm
Telephone: +52 (624) 1465 207 Ext. 50662

Hours: 6:00am – 5:00pm (may vary monthly in accordance with airline schedules)
Telephone: +52 (624) 1465 208 Ext. 50663
E-mail for both: [email protected]

CONTACT
AEROPUERTO DE SAN JOSÉ DEL CABO, S.A. DE C.V
Carretera Transpeninsular Km. 43.5
San José del Cabo, Baja California Sur, C.P. 23420 México
Tel. +52 (624) 146-51-11, 146-51-12/13
Fax. (624) 146-52-01 / 00, 146-52-08

We will endeavour to update the information here; your efforts will be crucial to that effort.
Print Wikipost

SJD - San Jose del Cabo / Los Cabos Airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:41 pm

All I know is that you'll get harassed about buying a booze cruise until you put your foot down and demand a taxi.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Does anyone know if you can access the priority pass VIP lounge in terminal 2 on arrival (w/ no same-day departing boarding pass)? E.g. Is it possible to stay airside after passing through customs (perhaps by following signs for connecting flights) or are you automatically dumped outside of security?

Thanks!
Old May 6, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by blahmeh14
Does anyone know if you can access the priority pass VIP lounge in terminal 2 on arrival (w/ no same-day departing boarding pass)? E.g. Is it possible to stay airside after passing through customs (perhaps by following signs for connecting flights) or are you automatically dumped outside of security?

Thanks!
Impossible. Customs exit dumps you into timeshare hell rental car staging area, and then you exit to the street.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Gold (OneWorld Emerald)
Just realised that despite being OW Sapphire, flying Business Class on AA and having a DragonPass, I will not have access to the lounge at SJD. Very annoying. Is there any other way to get access - a day pass, or a transportation service from hotels that includes lounge access.

Is there fast track security and will I get that at least as a business class passenger?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:57 pm

Have been researching the cost of taxis from the airport into San Jose del Cabo. It seems that taxis from the airport cost roughly twice what they cost to the airport (as is the case in Puerto Vallarta and maybe elsewhere in Mexico). Note: I will be traveling with Mrs. muji, so the higher cost of a taxi, relative to the cost of taking a shuttle van where each individual pays separately, might be worth it.

We will be staying in San Jose del Cabo, at the Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos. Would anyone know the approximate taxi fare from the airport to that resort area, and the fare back to the airport? (I have read that from the airport into San Jose del Cabo is $35-50USD; is that accurate?) Also, are there specific official/reputable taxi companies that one should take?

Edited to add: My understanding is that shuttle vans are the common, and less expensive, way to go from and to the airport. And I have read that they need to be pre-booked (and pre-paid?). Is that always the case, or can I simply locate a hotel shuttle van at the airport (which drops off at hotels on a schedule) and pay then?

If I pre-book and pre-pay a shuttle van, is that simply for a specific company, or also for a specific time? I am asking because I am wondering what would happen if my flight arrives an hour or two late after I have already booked and pre-paid a shuttle.

Also, I am updating and adding to the wiki as I do my research (I haven't yet been to Cabo) to help others who will likely have similar questions.

Last edited by muji; Sep 23, 2017 at 12:02 pm
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by muji
Would anyone know the approximate taxi fare from the airport to the San Jose del Cabo Holiday Inn Resort area, and the fare back to the airport? ...and...do shuttles need to be pre-booked (and pre-paid?)...If I pre-book and pre-pay a shuttle van, is that simply for a specific company, or also for a specific time?
Checking back to see if anyone might have personal experience information on this to share.
Gracias.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I arrive at SJD one hour later than my friend, our first time there, is there a safe place where she can wait for me at arrivals? Is there anywhere past customs where she can sit down with her luggage safely and wait without being harassed? Should she wait for me at the luggage area instead?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Taxis are not good as they overcharge. If you go to tripadvisor you will find fairly accurate reviews for the top 3 shuttle companies - all take advance reservations.

As for waiting area, I would simply tell your friend to exit customs, ignore everyone yelling at her (no need to respond at all to obnoxious unwelcome vendors though if necessary say "No entiendo, soy Ruskie" as none of them speak Russian) and simply exit the terminal and turn left. She will see a bar and many tables. Easy to grab a drink and nobody will hassle her at the tables.

The key is to avoid eye contact and avoid engaging with anyone who approaches you. Simply ignore them or if necessary say "No" firming and repeatedly. She won't need any "help" from anyone finding the large expanded bar area outside.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The best way to deal with impolite pushy vendors, time share touts, etc. is merely to give a glancing look while saying "no, gracias". Merely decline further engagement, possibly deigning one further and more emphatic "NO, gracias!"

(A third attempt I'd say "Ya le dije que no!" but Castilian Spanish is my natal language. That's pronounced "yah leh DEE-hay keh NO!" if you want to try it. That reinforces you already asked nicely and begins to get attention from others they don't want.

This approach makes you out to be wiser to the ways of Mexico and less a clueless tourist. At least that has worked best for me in my 60+ years in Mexico and for my Mexican friends and family.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:21 pm

I am staying in All Inclusive resort and planning to rent the Shuttle from airport to hotel and hotel to airport...Do I need Pesos or US dollars should work fine in Los Cabos

Also, can anyone recommend good Shuttle company as well as Excursion company which can pick from my hotel..I am staying in Grand Fiesta..
Old Jan 27, 2018, 11:42 am

Checking back to ask:
At the airport can I simply locate a hotel shuttle van (which drops off passengers at hotels on a schedule) and pay then?
Or would I need to have pre-booked and pre-paid?

Also: If I pre-book and pre-pay a shuttle van, is that simply for a specific company, or also for a specific time?

I am asking because I am wondering what would happen if my flight arrives an hour or two late after I have already booked and pre-paid a shuttle.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes you can find plenty of shuttles at airport but then you are stuck at their mercy in terms of pricing and also may have to wait while they fill the shuttle with other passengers who are dropped en route. Not a good choice.

A better option is to reserve one of the top rated shuttles on tripadvisor. To save some $$ I would shop around as the prices vary. They will put you on a list so it doesn't matter if your flight is late they will have a car for you. We used Cabo Shuttle Services and they were excellent! Whatever you do don't use TransCabo - horrible.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
A better option is to reserve one of the top rated shuttles on tripadvisor.
Thanks, Boraxo !
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Yes you can find plenty of shuttles at airport but then you are stuck at their mercy in terms of pricing and also may have to wait while they fill the shuttle with other passengers who are dropped en route.
We just returned from San Jose del Cabo. We had not pre-booked a shuttle from the airport.

After exiting the terminal (terminal 2) we saw a large Taxi sign with a directional arrow pointing to the right, so we went to the right all the way to the end of the sidewalk and saw several vans there. There were uniformed attendants there. I told one of them that we wanted to go to a hotel in Zone 1. The one-way cost was just 150 pesos (about $8USD) per person.

We were the last two to get in the van, which held about 10 people. If that one had been full, we could have gotten the next one; that would have involved a bit of a wait until the van was full. But in the end we paid $16 for the two of us, instead of the $50 or so that we thought we would have had to pay for a personal taxi from the airport.

Our return from our Zone 1 hotel to the airport was a flat-rate of 420 pesos (about $23USD) for a personal taxi, covering the two of us.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 7:42 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
While recently in San Jose I used car services as well as the relatively new Andale, which operates like Uber. It was inexpensive and drivers were all on time, friendly and safe. They're lying low at the airport out of fear the taxis will drive them out. You need to reserve and meet the driver upstairs as opposed to where all the shuttles, taxis are downstairs. To use it, you need to download the app. Cars can be reserved. You can also call for cars on demand, but they have few drivers so it can mean a wait. My waits when I didn't reserve showed 5-40 minutes over about 20 rides.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.