Reload this Page >

SJD - San Jose del Cabo / Los Cabos Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Los Cabos International Airport is a smaller airport where one may still board and deplane via mobile stairs and walks across the tarmac to / from the older terminals. It is located about 15 minutes (11 km / 7 miles) from the center of San José del Cabo, and about a half hour from the center of Cabo San Lucas.

The older Terminal 1 primarily handles the departures and arrivals of all flights from Mexico, Central America, and South America.

The new Terminal 2, which mainly handles international flights from the U.S. and Canada, has jetways and more up to date facilities, including fully refurbished facilities, a VIP lounge. See post 35 by Boraxo for information on the lounge and terminal.

Terminal 4 is currently under construction, and is to be joined with Terminal 3 for international operations in the future.

Taxis
Taxis cost roughly twice as much from the airport as to the airport.

Airport Shuttles
In addition to taxis, there are many airport shuttles from and to the airport. The shuttles are typically pre-booked, but it is possible to take one without a pre-booking (see post #59). The prices are based on these three zones:
  • Zone 1 - San Jose del Cabo city
    • Zone 2 - Corredor Turistico (Tourist Corridor)
      • Zone 3 - Cabo San Lucas city
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Those making same day turns from the US must process immigration and customs on arrival, then process back airside with valid boarding pass.

Inside, there are a few shops and if arriving, immigration (hold on to the piece of tourist card you're given back - you must turn it in upon departure or be fined and delayed whilst filling out forms) and customs.

Exiting, prior to arriving landside you may be solicited by a clot of timeshare touts offering "free transport" - outside you will find the "official" taxis and shuttles.

LOUNGES: VIP LOUNGE LOS CABOS
Hours: 9:00am – 7:00pm
Telephone: +52 (624) 1465 207 Ext. 50662

Hours: 6:00am – 5:00pm (may vary monthly in accordance with airline schedules)
Telephone: +52 (624) 1465 208 Ext. 50663
E-mail for both: [email protected]

CONTACT
AEROPUERTO DE SAN JOSÉ DEL CABO, S.A. DE C.V
Carretera Transpeninsular Km. 43.5
San José del Cabo, Baja California Sur, C.P. 23420 México
Tel. +52 (624) 146-51-11, 146-51-12/13
Fax. (624) 146-52-01 / 00, 146-52-08

We will endeavour to update the information here; your efforts will be crucial to that effort.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA. Attended baseball games at 260 ballparks. 1,367,940 lifetime in-seat air miles.

I've been unable to find much accurate or current information regarding this particular airport on the web. I saw something to the effect that in 2011 SJD was supposed to have become the first US pre-clearance airport in Mexico, but no airports in Mexico are included in the Homeland Security's list of pre-clearance airports so I am presuming that never happened. Also I'm looking for information as to the shopping establishments and eating/drinking establishments that are airside and landside at SJD but so far everything I've found is incomplete, out of date, or both.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Google es tu amigo - link to SJD official website. Note the map is ancient, and does not reflect the text's more current information about airlines and which terminals they serve. And bajainsider says:

"Terminal 1 has a Dunkin Donuts, a pizza place and a McDonalds along with two bars and several little stores for those last minute items. There is a cafeteria where you can overlook the tarmac while you wait.

Terminal 3 has one bar, a taxi stand, two timeshare sales and a beverage cart. Brace yourself for the best soda or beer you've ever had. They must be the best because a Coke is $50 pesos and a beer is $60 pesos! A bag of chips was the best nutrition I could find while waiting. There is limited seating and no departure lounge."

DCJayhawk says, below: "Terminal 2 (new terminal) has American, Delta, US Airways, Airtran, and Alaska. It seems like United is still in Terminal 1 for right now.

Terminal 2 is modern with 8 gates; Starbucks, Corona Sports Bar, Subway, Carl's Jr, and a Sbarro."

I've not heard anything about SJD USCBP pre-clearance. There's actually not so much online, though it's Mexico's fifth largest by volume.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 30, 2013 at 12:18 pm Reason: add DCJayhawk's T-2 report
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA. Attended baseball games at 260 ballparks. 1,367,940 lifetime in-seat air miles.
Thank you JDiver, I appreciate your kind assistance but my visits to those two websites in particular played a large part in my comment, "...so far everything I've found is incomplete, out of date, or both."

Actually one other thing I'm interested in is that there's a baseball stadium in Cabo San Lucas next to City Hall, not too far from the marina, and I've been looking for information about games that may be played there during the first part of April, if anyone knows how to get such information. I'm trying a couple of sources but not too much luck as of yet in finding any sort of game schedule.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 6:33 pm

Ah. I'm on my way out of town for a work project and can't spend too much time checking, but the words include "estadio de la Unidad Deportiva Cabo San Lucas", "beisbol" and "calendario" or "horario" for a beginning. Good luck!

I've not had time to check http://www.cabodeportes.com/

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 13, 2013 at 6:56 pm
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
All New Terminal 2

Just flew home yesterday out of the new SJD Terminal 2...about which, it seems, there is about zero information online. According to our rental shuttle driver, this new Terminal 2 only opened about 4 months ago. It looks it...very modern, spacious and comfortable all the way around. I am speculating here, but I believe it encompasses what used to be both the old Terminals 2 and 3. The old Terminal 1 is still there in the distance.

The upper roadway drive-up to Terminal 2 departures is almost embarrassingly underused. Not quite sure what to make of that.

Once inside, plenty of airline check-in desks...though we had checked-in online so skipped that. Even on Easter Sunday and the last day of Oregon spring break, there was plenty of room to maneuver and abundant staffing. There were big, spacious, and clean restrooms too.

Upstairs one more floor via escalator was the actual departure level. Security was a fairly simple affair...just your basic (poorly functioning) old-style metal detectors and a quick carry on bag scan. This empties you unavoidably into a large, modern duty free store...all the usual booze, perfume, candy and other crap you don't need but will buy anyway to use up those last pesos.

Once out of duty free hell, the terminal houses Gates 1 through 8, 1-4 all gathered at one end for remote boarding after heading down switchback ramps and out on to the tarmac. Gates 5-8 I believe had individual jetways. Do not recall clearly as we boarded our SJD-SFO-PDX out of Gate 4. Regardless of specific gate, the roominess and plentiful seating throughout the terminal was notable.

At one end, adjacent to Gate 8, is a Starbucks, which my daughter celebrated. Next to the Starbucks is a two-floor VIP lounge that accepts Priority Pass and a few other cards. Roomy, decent wifi, plenty of electrical outlets and TVs. Caught a few minutes of NCAA hoops. Super cushy modern furniture on the ground floor. Didn't have time to head upstairs and wasn't inclined to do so after learning there was a "kid's play area" along with a pool table and other games. Downstairs had simple, complimentary made-to-order snacks and drinks. Hard to say exactly what drinks they had since there was no actual bar setup to be seen.

Was most pleased with this Terminal which serves Alaska and a few smaller airlines...better than the vast majority of smaller airport terminals I have been through. No sign of USA CBP preclearance, however. Maybe some other time. (GE @ SFO was a snap in a any event. Even the SFO Int'l A gates TSA security was quick and relatively painless for the bizarre re-board on to the same aircraft we had just left to clear customs...damn near freaked when one of the TSA lads actually joked around with me--first for that in many awful excursions through this checkpoint.)

Anyway, hope this adds a little to the dearth of info on the new Terminal 2 @ SJD. Be great to see an updated "official" map and fact sheet sometime soon.

--mcz
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the excellent report, mczlaw. Mrs. shoeless1920 and I are flying ORD-PHX-SJD tomorrow morning on US and I noticed that this morning's PHX-SJD flight arrived at Gate 1 which I gather is in the new Terminal 2. Way cool.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: US Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Dia
Arrival in SJD

Thank you all for your postings about SJD - It is amazing how out-of-date the information is about this airport (many maps still have "America West" listed). Are American Airlines and USAirways in the same terminal? I will be flying US from PHX and my friend will be flying AA from LAX, and I just want to figure out where we should meet before we take our shuttle.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:05 am

My cellphone's FlightBoard app (I highly recommend this free and handy app!) shows US Airways arriving at Terminal 1; it shows AA arriving today at Terminal 1. So, that's my answer and I am sticking with it!

I hope someone answers SJD information definitely, as the official airport site map shows ALL US carriers arriving at the "International Terminal 2, Concourse D," - Wikipedia, says Terminal 2 is the International Terminal, and shows both AA and US arrivals at Terminal 1.

To complicate matters, the Mexican Airport Authority website shows AA from DFW today arriving Terminal 2.

For now, I will be safe and snarky and reply "someday soon".

Scary bad website - still shows Aero California (ceased operations / on strike since 2008), Mexicana (ceased operations 28 Aug 2010), Continental and "US Ariways operated by America West"!

Also note widespread Internet warnings about "drivers" offering free transport before you exit the terminal and find the officially authorized transport (many Mexican airports have "the fix" in with what is charmingly, but not inaccurately, called the "taxi mafia") are time share touts.

I hope members using this Forum will offer their own observations to update this (hint, hint!)

Originally Posted by DCJayhawk
Thank you all for your postings about SJD - It is amazing how out-of-date the information is about this airport (many maps still have "America West" listed). Are American Airlines and USAirways in the same terminal? I will be flying US from PHX and my friend will be flying AA from LAX, and I just want to figure out where we should meet before we take our shuttle.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 17, 2013 at 9:26 am
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: US Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Dia
Here is my update about SJD's airport.
Terminal 2 (new terminal) has American, Delta, Usairways, Airtran, and Alaska. It seems like United is still in Terminal 1 for right now.

Terminal 2 is modern with 8 gates; Starbucks, Corona Sports Bar, Subway, Carl's Jr, and a Sbarro.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by DCJayhawk
Here is my update about SJD's airport.
Terminal 2 (new terminal) has American, Delta, Usairways, Airtran, and Alaska. It seems like United is still in Terminal 1 for right now.

Terminal 2 is modern with 8 gates; Starbucks, Corona Sports Bar, Subway, Carl's Jr, and a Sbarro.
Thanks for the update. Wonder where Virgin is?
Old May 29, 2013, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Thanks for the update. Wonder where Virgin is?
In numerous trips to Cabo, I have never found a virgin.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 6:51 am

Hello,

I will be flying SJD-LAX-DFW on AA in Business. Will I have access to this lounge?

Edit: I just read that Class-of-Service-based Access to AA lounges is limited to Mexico City and excludes all other locations in Mexico. So, question answered.

Last edited by jar2542; Jul 23, 2013 at 7:04 am
Old Aug 23, 2013, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So to update as of mid-August 2013:

Except for United, all US airlines fly into the new terminal 2 (with nice jetways).

At some point this year, United moved from the horrific old T-3 to T-1. All the Mexican airlines use this terminal as well. While T-1 is not as nice as T-2, they have added a Starbucks and there is a Subway as well if you are looking for something healthy. If not there is still pizza, hot dogs and BK. Practice tip: the A/C doesn't seem to work too well here (in mid-90 August heat) so if you want to stay cool grab a table near BK rather than the main waiting area.

All arrivals are processed through the new facility in T-2. It was pretty quick if you fill out the card completely before getting to the front.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Updating as to Lounge options:

Both T-1 and T-2 have a VIP lounge that is part of the Priority Pass and Lounge Club (subset of PP). The T1 lounge is up the escalator from the main departure area (follow the signs to "Wings"). We arrived 11am Saturday to find the sliding glass door closed though observed people inside. One of the housekeeping staff let us in but then a couple of maintenance guys told us the lounge was closed. I explained (in my halting Spanish) that LC would pay the fees if they take my card info. Fortunately there was a gent from Mexico City who was also hanging out after some intense dialogue the maint guy started making mobile phone calls. Within 20m the regular staff arrived and everything was copasetic after that. The staff was quite apologetic for the delayed opening but never really provided a satisfactory explanation for their siesta.

The lounge itself is reasonably spacious for the # of customers and is stocked with free alcoholic beverages and snacks. The staff makes sandwiches on request and brings them to you! Really a nice place for all of us to hang out. They also have a monitor which shows flight status so you know when it is time to board.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:35 pm

A big "gracias" for the lounge update, Boraxo!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.