Reload this Page >

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Bienvenido to the Cancún International Airport / CUN master thread. Please feel free to add observations and suggestions, naturalmente. And you can also PM the original poster as a way to call attention to something in the original post that needs modification or change. ¡Gracias!

Link to ASUR official Cancún International website in English (mostly useless, lists arriving and departing flights)

Link to fake Cancún International Airport website (useless and grossly outdated)

See post #1 in this thread for more extensive information.

Terminals "Terminal 1 is used by some low-cost and charter domestic airlines; Terminal 2 is used by all of the scheduled domestic airlines and some international flights; and the new Terminal 3 handles primarily international operations of airlines from North America and Europe." (Wikipedia)

Terminal 1: Charter flights, and Magnicharters, TAR and VivaAerobus.

Terminal 2: Mostly domestic flights, some international arrivals from USA/Europe. Aerolineas Argentinas, Aeroméxico, Aerotucán, Air Transat, Avianca group, Copa, Cubana, Finnair, Interjet, LatAm, Southwest, Tui group, Volaris,

Terminal 3: The primary arrival terminal for interational flights from USA and Canada. air berlin, Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge, Air Europa, Air France, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, British Airways, Delta, Frontier, Interjet, JetBlue, LOT, Lufthansa, Spirit, Sun Country, United, Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic, WestJet.

Terminal 4: The newest terminal, some flights from United States, Canada, Europe, and South America. AirEuropa, Airfrance, Condor, edelweiss, Eurowings, Frontier, Icelandair, Interjet, Lufthansa, Southwest, Sun Country, Thomas Cook, Virgin Atlantic, Westjet
Some may be seasonal, see others at Wikipedia (link)

Transport:

Most recommend arranging transport in advance; see the thread in limos, taxis, transfers here. The airport authorized taxis are charitably described by some as a "taxi mafia", and unless you know how to deal with this ilk avoid them. Uber/Lyft is not allowed to pickup at the airport, although they can dropoff.

N.B. Members are reporting lengthy delays checking in (high demand times suggest 2.5-3.0 hours prior to departure) and delays on arrival for immigration and customs, particularly during high traffic times / high season. This can vary according to demand - spring break, Christmas plan for long lines.

Travelers from the USA no longer need to complete an FMM form on arrival, just the passport and flight# is enough to get through immigration.
Print Wikipost

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Bag transfer from US to AB in CUN

Has anyone transferred from US to AB in CUN? Flying US F PHLCUN connecting to AB J CUNMUC. Will they transfer my luggage at CUN? I know its the same alliance transfer, but I remember CUN being less than straight forward for baggage transfer.

Any experience would be appreciated. Also, is there an AB lounge in CUN?

Thanks
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by asnovici
Has anyone transferred from US to AB in CUN? Flying US F PHLCUN connecting to AB J CUNMUC. Will they transfer my luggage at CUN? I know its the same alliance transfer, but I remember CUN being less than straight forward for baggage transfer.

Thanks
They should do the transfer.

As for lounges, I suspect you're looking at the paid / Priority Pass / etc. MERA lounge discussed in the first post.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
I have a 6AM departure on Monday. What time should I be picked up from the South of the hotel zone. The hotel is only 15 mins from the airport I believe. Would 4:15 AM be sufficient? Flying J class with EXP status on AA.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lagunas2k
I have a 6AM departure on Monday. What time should I be picked up from the South of the hotel zone. The hotel is only 15 mins from the airport I believe. Would 4:15 AM be sufficient? Flying J class with EXP status on AA.
That should suffice, if you have a reliable transport.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by asnovici

I highly doubt there is airside transfer, as Mexico has adopted the US methodology of having to clear immigration, then having to claim baggage in order to clear customs. There are no transfer desks after customs, so you will have to take your bags over to check-in, which is not far since luckily both US and AB use T3. Just hang a left after exiting the building to get to the departure hall.

AB's site says that you have access to the contract lounge, but unfortunately cannot confirm from first-hand experience.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:33 pm

Rental vs Taxi/shuttle

Will be in cancun on Thursday of Thanksgiving holiday.

My itinerary is going to be 1 night at cancun (Westin), 2 nights at playa del carmen (Banyan Tree), and then 1 night back at cancun (Westin) before finally coming back.
We will probably not be making any excursions outside of the hotel, or anywhere really far at all.

My question is, is it cheaper to go with taxi/shuttle for transportation or car rental?
I will be traveling in a party of 4, total.

Thanks!
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:43 pm

Private van will cost approximately $120 RT to Playa. The RT from Airport to hotel and back to the airport another $65. See for example http://www.entertainment-plus.net/tr...-transfers.asp. Renting requires insurance and likely will cost more. Also Mexican police are said to prey on tourists driving to/from Playa. I'd not rent.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
I see there is a shuttle between terminals, it looks like this is landside, is that correct? I'm arriving from Belize to the FBO with Tropic Air and then need to get to T2 for a domestic flight to MEX.

Also, what's the situation with locker storage? The website suggests it's only possible for small bags, is there anywhere to leave a suitcase?

Thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by goodison
I see there is a shuttle between terminals, it looks like this is landside, is that correct? I'm arriving from Belize to the FBO with Tropic Air and then need to get to T2 for a domestic flight to MEX.
Yeah, there is a shuttle every 30mins or so, landside. It can get quite crowded, and it has to loop all the way around in order to get from T3 to T2. So plan for some time... I personally much prefer walking, which is direct and takes about 10mins. However, the route is not signposted.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:05 pm

delete

Last edited by davie355; Apr 24, 2020 at 2:20 am
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I think the Priority Pass lounge is +1. Whether they make an exception is abt ur ability to argue. But they are Betty Rule Book, imo. They need to enter every person and their PP#, ect, to be reimbursed by PP, so they don't have any incentive or tendancy to be liberal. But: (1) it really doesn't cost much to add ur 14 yo son and (2) it's not such a great lounge and ur not there that long, so no biggie...lots of shopping and margaritas in the departures area. it's actually a busy place and somewhat fun.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davie355
Question about the MERA Lounge in Terminal 3. I have Priority Pass through AMEX Plat. Will my dad & 12-year-old brother be able to accompany me for free?
They'll certainly charge for your father's access.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:42 am

Actually the lounge is rather nice. They will charge for anyone other than you.they have finger sandwiches, water, soft drinks as well as beer and liquor.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 4:35 pm

delete

Last edited by davie355; Apr 24, 2020 at 2:20 am
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davie355
I visited the lounge today. I was allowed 2 guests with my PP card.
There are different levels of Priority Pass. Was that a factor?

I'll reply to my own question: every one of the three plans, at least for US based members, every guest incurs a $27 charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.