Reload this Page >

MEX - Mexico City International Airport / 🛫AICM🛬 master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

GENERAL INFORMATION

"AICM" - Aeropuerto Internacional de la Ciudad de México
(Aeropuerto Internacional Benito Juárez)
Av. Capitán Carlos León S/N
Col Peñón de los Baños
Delegación Venustiano Carranza, DF
CP 15620, México

Phone: (+52 55) 2482-2424 and 2482-2400

Website: http://www.aicm.com.mx/home_en.php (English language version)

Link to AICM airlines information, including terminals.

Most comprehensive information: Wikipedia (Castilian Spanish)

Mexico City Airport Guide to lounges, sleeping, etc. by SleepinginAirports.net

Venustiano Carranza is one of the 16 boroughs (delegaciones) of the Federal District; it serves Mexico City, and is located 3.1 miles / 5 km east of downtown (getting there takes significantly longer than you would think; traffic can be very congested). The airport is one of the oldest, opening in 1928, and is limited by two runways at high altitude (7,316 ft / 2,230 m above MSL) and can not expand due to encroaching population. Recent attempts to open a new, higher capacity airport were ended by the new President, so this airport, Latin America's second busiest, will do for now.

NOTE: See post 380 (23 May 2018, by BenA) for information on the new automated passport reading kiosks in Terminal 2 and a shorter option to lengthy arrivals queues.

FLIGHT INFORMATION: http://www.aicm.com.mx/informacional.../fids/fids.php

CONNECTIONS: Check to see if you need to connect between terminals, and allow plenty of time for that. See MEX Connection Times international / domestic master thread

From an international flight to an international/domestic flight – Clear immigration, customs and security with any (retrieved at carousels) check-in baggage, then place your baggage on the flight connections carousel located on the right hand side, before proceeding to your departure gate.

If you are traveling on separate ticketing, you will have to go to the terminal airline ticket counter, check in and check your bags.

If you are connecting to the same airline to a domestic destination, you will recover your baggage once you arrive there. Look for the transit queue and processing.

From a domestic flight to an international flight – Proceed directly to the appropriate terminal and departure gate
([B.
Interterminal Transportation - Aerotrén / Air Train: The landside elevated Aerotrén APM (Automated People Mover) claims to move only those connecting passengers with boarding passes between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. It consists of two to four cars, each with 25 passenger (with baggage and hand carry) capacity, per train, which travels at 28 MPH / 45 kph over the 1.9 mi / 3 km range. Time en route is 4:40 (min), dwell time in each terminal is 60 seconds, time between trains is 10:45 (min).

Aerotrén route

Interterminal Transportation - Landside red shuttle busses[/B] operate 05:00 (am) to 01:00 (am), also used during Aerotrén breakdowns, are labeled ""Transportación entre Terminales"; the stops are at entrance No. 6 of Terminal 1 and entrance No. 4 of Terminal 2. They are air conditioned, have luggage spaces and are wheelchair-accessible.

MEX airport map

ARRIVING: If you are arriving from an international flight without a connection (you are terminating at MEX), you must have your forms filled out - see Requirements for visiting Mexico as a tourist ("tourist card", visa etc.).

You may have a lengthy walk down the glassed-in arrivals corridor. This corridor has glass door controlled areas to allow people from the departures area cross through the arrivals corridor (like using an air lock), so you could be detained by a boarding aircraft. In one instance we were detained nearly fifteen minutes enough route from the 30s gate as a TACA flight boarded and our passage was blocked by glass doors.

Proceed to the corridor end and down one floor to the not-so-well marked exits for "Migración" and proceed to the sometimes lengthy queues to present your passport and documents. Your tourist card will be stamped and you will be given a portion back - turn it in on your departure (if you lose it, expect to pay a fine and have to spend some time with formalities). (When you check in at MEX, the form will be stapled to your boarding pass, and removed at the boarding gate - if somehow you do not have it at counter or gate, you'll have to return landslide and fill out forms and pay a MXN 307.00 fine.

Once your passport is stamped and your "Tourist Card" / FMM is validated, proceed to the baggage carousels and look for your flight to be displayed. Carts are available. Retrieve your baggage and proceed to "ADUANA", where you will queue up one more time. Normally, as you approach the customs kiosk, you will walk up to what looks like a small traffic light / robot and press the large button; a Green light means you can proceed, a Red light means further Customs formalities and inspection. You normally then put your bags on a conveyor belt for x-ray screening, As your bags have been x-rayed prior to delivery you no longer have the x-rayed upon exiting the Aduana hall, though bags may be selected for secondary screening; then you are landside in the arrivals floor scrum.

BAGGAGE STORAGE (link)

If you recover your baggage and have a layover, there are left luggage / baggage storage / GUARDAEQUIPAJE* at AICM, ~100 MXN per day.

*Goo-ARR-dah ek-kee-PA-heh

Terminal 1: Internacional area 10 between Gates 7 and 8, Area E-2; 24 hours a day.

Terminal 2: in front of the Domestic Arrivals area, 24 hours a day.

TERMINALS

Terminal 1 is the original terminal, and has expanded a number of times. Terminal 2 was opened in 2007, increasing the airport's capacity 40% from the frequently expanded Terminal 1. SkyTeam, including local member Aeroméxico, excepting Air France and KLM, are located in Terminal 2.

See this WikiTravel page for further information, including airlines and terminals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_city_airport

Terminal 1:

Premium Lounges in T1:
  • Salón Premier Internacional T1 (Aeroméxico - SkyTeam; Diners Club)
  • United Club (United Airlines, Priority Pass)
  • Admirals Club (American Airlines, U.S. Airways, oneworld - near Gate 23
  • American Express Platinum Centurión Lounge (near Gate 30 - much closer to AA, U.S. etc. departures than some of the airline lounges).
Hotels:
  • izZzleep microhotel, $170 MXN (under USD $9.00) for two hours, MXN $160 for a shower, etc. See IZZZLEEP
  • Camino Real Aeropuerto de México (connected to terminal 1-B by walkway - 600 rooms, budget) <link>
  • Courtyard Mexico City Airport by Marriott (connected by walkway and free shuttle to Terminal 2 - 288 rooms) <link>
  • Fiesta Inn Aeropuerto Ciudad de México by Fiesta Americana (Located across from Terminal 1 and offers free shuttles - 327 rooms, budget) <link>
  • Hilton México City Airport (Level 3, near gate F1 in the International arrivals area - 110 rooms) <link>
See this excellent page on Arriving in Terminal 1, from www.midwesternerinmexico.com.

Terminal 2: (Domestic subterminal and SkyTeam other than KLM and AF)

Premium Lounges in T2:
  • Club Diamante (Aeromar)
  • HSBC Premier Lounge (landslide)
  • Salón Premier Nacional (Domestic side - Aeroméxico - SkyTeam; Priority Pass; Diners Club; Airport Angel)
  • Salón Premier Internacional T2 (Aeroméxico - SkyTeam; Priority Pass; Diners Club, Airport Angel)
  • Riedel Wine Room (Aeroméxico)
  • Travel Pass Elite Lounge (Banamex/Citibank)
  • Centurión American Express Lounge (American Express)
Hotels:
  • izZzleep microhotel, $170 MXN (under USD $9.00) for two hours, MXN $160 for a shower, etc. See IZZZLEEP
  • NH Collection Mexico City Airport Terminal 2 (287 rooms, 6th floor)<link>

FOR HOTELS, LOUNGES, SLEEPING:

A fairly comprehensiveresource is www.sleepinginairports.net. Their intro page to MEX is here, and it covers everything from hotels to Lounges and ad hoc sleeping in airports. E.g. Avianca Lounge is 24/7 and day passes are currently available.

Izzzleep sleep capsules in Terminal 1 (140 MXN hourly, minimum two hours, WiFi, bathrooms, showers for 130 MXN fee - bookable via Bookings.com, Expedia, etc.) Landsude, just “past the entrance to the Marriott Courtyard, in/on top of the T1 bus terminal structure.” (Gracias to flugvergnugen)

OFFSITE TRANSPORTATION:

Mexico City Area Map (midwesternerinmexico.com http://bit.ly/1iTjS4P)

By taxi: The authorized taxi stands at the airport have "Transporte Terrestre" kiosks where you can buy a ticket to your destination, and then proceed outside to the taxi line to catch the taxi. DO NOT pay attention to touts or walk across the street to pick up unaffiliated or pirate taxis - kidnapping and assault are not unknown if you choose to do this.

Uber: see https://www.uber.com/cities/mexico-city; see post #146.

You may wish to read over this informative page about using taxis (and the various kinds of taxis available), with particular emphasis on Mexico City taxis.

Walking out of the airport - Taxi Sitio (Rank) (from WikiTravel - http://wikitravel.org/en/Mexico_City)
Be aware the airport is not located in the best area of the city, so it is not recommended for tourists to walk outside the airport terminal in search for cheaper taxi service unless you have pre-arranged your service. Definitely do not attempt this if you are not comfortable speaking Spanish. Despite this, an alternative Taxi Sitio (site) can be reached by using the overpass located outside of Gate D. Taxis here are about half the price of the official airport taxis and are considered secure. This is the Sitio (taxi rank) that is set up for the airline employees.
By Metro: If you have no luggage, you can use the Metro (Line 5 / Yellow Line, station Terminal Aérea) (serves Terminal 1 only - use interterminal shuttle bus to Terminal 2)and connect to your destination (most will connect to other lines at Pantitlán south, or Oceania north of Terminal Aérea). Tickets (and passes) can be purchased from kiosks, and cost $3.00 pesos per trip (~€ 0.15, or ~US$ 0.24). Hours are 05:00 a 24:00 weekdays, starting 06:00 Saturdays, and 07:00 Sundays and holidays. Website (Castilian Spanish).

Local Bus: The best local bus is the articulated BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) Metrobús Line 4 - the electrically-powered red bus runs in priority roadway lanes from 04:30 (am) to midnight), departures every 20 minutes, takes 30 minutes to downtown historic center / centro histórico, costs $30.00 pesos (about US$2.40 / €1.80) single / one way, has luggage space. Catch it on the ground floor of Terminal 1 opposite Gates 6 - 7, and Terminal 2 near the taxi rank on the ground floor / arrivals. Get your tickets from automated kiosks with peso coins or credit card; sweep your card past the validator as you board. See this page (English version) for details.

By Intercity Bus: There are stations in each terminal with reliable, economical and safe buses to various national destinations. See this page for the bus schedule, and for more on Mexican busses here: Bus travel in Mexico, the definitive thread.

"AICM Terminal 1 land terminal (Terminal terrestre de autobuses - open 24 / 7) is located in front of the international area vehicular ramp and its facilities include various services for the comfort of our passengers. Among others, it offers VIP lounges, internet, resting, reading and meeting halls. The terminal also offers a fast food area, shops, souvenirs and currency exchange offices.

The AICM Terminal 2 land terminal is located at gate D, between entrance 4 and the national arrival passenger exit, and its facilities include resting halls and a fast food area."

INTERCITY BUSSES:

- Autobuses del Oriente (ADO)
Tel: 5133-2424 and 01800-702-8000
Operations: 6:00 to 21:00 hrs. 7 days
Destination: Córdoba, state of Veracrúz

- Autobuses Estrella Blanca
Tels: 5786-9341, 5786-9358, 5786-9338 & 5786-9342
Operations: 24 hrs. / 7 days
Destinations: Pachuca, state of Hidalgo

- Autobuses Estrella Roja
Operations: 24 hrs. / 7 days
Destination: Puebla, Puebla

- Autobuses La Piedad
Operating Hours: 24 hrs. / 7 days
Destinations: Querétaro, Qro.

- Autobuses Pullman de Morelos
Destination: Cuernavaca, Mor.

- Autobuses TMT Caminante
Destination: Toluca, Mexico
Print Wikipost

MEX - Mexico City International Airport / 🛫AICM🛬 master thread

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 9:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Interesting change for Terminal 2 international arrivals.

Previously, and for many years, arriving internationally in MEX meant retrieving baggage and playing the little "traffic light lottery" wherein as you're departing Customs you push a button that turns red of green.

Red meant going through secondary, open bag check; Green meant "proceed".

A new mobile x-ray machine will now screen bags between the time they are removed from aircraft and when they are delivered to the carousels before the customs exit.

(International Travel News, June 2017)
Old May 25, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
A little belated but my two votes are for the Citi Prestige accessible Salon Beyond Banamex due the relative calm/low volume of customers when I've been there and the Amex Centurion lounge (whenever it reopens...has it reopened?) for the subsidized champagne and Ionic Breeze fans.

Originally Posted by safra1
Okay, thanks. In that case, what are the best lounges in T2?
Old May 25, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by JDiver
Interesting change for Terminal 2 international arrivals.

Previously, and for many years, arriving internationally in MEX meant retrieving baggage and playing the little "traffic light lottery" wherein as you're departing Customs you push a button that turns red of green.

Red meant going through secondary, open bag check; Green meant "proceed".

A new mobile x-ray machine will now screen bags between the time they are removed from aircraft and when they are delivered to the carousels before the customs exit.

(International Travel News, June 2017)
I wonder how much this will delay even more baggage arrival on the carousel.
Old May 27, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Bags aside, have you gone for Viajero Confiable yet?

Aside from the fact that you need to fill out the form on the kiosk, and that the kiosk doesn't always work to perfection after I have had a few glasses from Aeromexico's most premium wine selection, I've been pleased with it.

As an aside, my "qualifying interview" was with a guy who lived in San Rafael for 20 years.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I wonder how much this will delay even more baggage arrival on the carousel.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Salon Aeromar T2 has joined Priority Pass. Any FT victims yet? Reports welcome
Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
In general MEX was a lot nicer than I remember when transiting on Mexicana. Maybe it has been renovated recently? Or maybe the (former) MX terminal was old & tired.

Visited a few lounges last week and would assess as follows:

United Lounge near Gate 19. Not terribly convenient - a 10min walk to gates 30-36 (my IAH flight which left from gates 30-36). However it is one of the better UA lounges with open bar and now-standard UA food offerings. If you visit be sure to turn hard right after security. It looks like there might be a shortcut someday though duty free if construction is finished.

Grand Elite Lounge - not far from UA lounge. Did not have time to visit but looked okay from what I could see.

Avianca lounge by Gate 36 - convenient for gates 30-36 but by far the worst. Elevator was out of service, and A/C was weak. Mediocre food offerings. Crowded. If you have time I'd visit the others first and save this one if you have a last-minute delay.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:36 am

I've walked past it many times and I am pretty sure it's a place you'd rather avoid unless you want modelo and cacahuates japoneses.

That said, I'll be there the weekend after next and will do my best to check it out and report back assuming the T2 Centurion hasn't reopened or I don't go into the Banamex Beyond/Citi Prestige thing.

Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:27 am

MEX - International to Domestic Connection Time (to merge)

Hi,

I am landing at MEX on a Saturday at 19.35 and need to get to Cancun. I have currently 2 options with the first being the most preferred:

• MEX to CUN at 21.00 on Interjet. 1hr 25 min connection
  • Stay overnight at MEX. Early morning connection.

I will be travelling with checked bags and I assume I will have to re check at MEX.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
I'm a pretty big fan of the Banamex Beyond (Citi Prestige) lounge in T2 since it serves as a welcome substitute for the Amex Centurion Lounge that has been closed for at least six months now (I am starting to suspect it isn't reopening? It's a long time to be out of commission).

The Banamex lounge has table service and free drinks, and in the morning you can get chilaquiles. In the afternoon they serve some other casserole or stew type dish that looked pretty tasty.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:26 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by snorkmaster
I've walked past it many times and I am pretty sure it's a place you'd rather avoid unless you want modelo and cacahuates japoneses.
Just got back from LIM, and UA uses a contract lounge there that also accepts Priority Pass. If the one in MEX is anything like it, then probably not particularly pleasant and really lousy snacks / eats

Pisco sour, OTOH
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by William 32424
Hi,

I am landing at MEX on a Saturday at 19.35 and need to get to Cancun. I have currently 2 options with the first being the most preferred:

• MEX to CUN at 21.00 on Interjet. 1hr 25 min connection
  • Stay overnight at MEX. Early morning connection.

I will be travelling with checked bags and I assume I will have to re check at MEX.
¡Hola! Bienvenido a / welcome to FlyerTalk.

I'd recommend a look at the Wikipost at the top of the page in this thread: MEX - Mexico City International Airport / AICM master thread (link) and the ensuing posts. Members have already contributed a lot of useful information about MEX - AICM.

/Moderator

But... I'll chime in. Evenings can get "chockers" arriving internationally, and you'll have to process Migración, wait for your bag(s), proceed through Aduana / Customs, etc. and scoot to domestic, check in, etc. and I don't think you'll make it in most instances.

On top of which you've not told us which airline you're arriving from, so you could have an interterminal train ride. Use the links in the Wikipost to explore your arriving and departing flights terminals.

As well, you might want to look at the hotels serving your next day departure terminal - e.g. old T-1 has a Hilton accessible within the terminal at the international end.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Just got back from LIM, and UA uses a contract lounge there that also accepts Priority Pass. If the one in MEX is anything like it, then probably not particularly pleasant and really lousy snacks / eats

Pisco sour, OTOH
I've spent more time than I care to recall in the 2 LIM contract lounges, and those experiences are generally far superior to my T2 MEX lounge experiences. The last time I really enjoyed a MEX lounge was ca. 1990s, when UA had a separate F section, and it was peaceful and quiet, and I'd pour myself an OJ with an excellent tequila as a "daycap" prior to a 7 or 8am flight.

(Ok, not far superior ... but superior, and I'm no fan of those lounges.)
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:26 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I've spent more time than I care to recall in the 2 LIM contract lounges, and those experiences are generally far superior to my T2 MEX lounge experiences.
OUCH
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
OUCH
I should have ample time, this week and next, to sample the current array of T2 offerings. I already put my travel hairdryer (with which I very rarely travel) near my carry-on bag, because the T2 lounges don't have them in the shower facilities.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is “the latest” as of June 22 from Terminal 2

American Express - still closed, and looks like it will be for some time. T2 has a lot of construction going on.

Remodeled Aeromexico lounge on Int’l side - I think I like it a bit more. Or maybe not. I took a shower. New shower rooms are a bit better, but still no hair dryers, and no toilets inside, and they get steamy. Bathroom situation for the lounge is much improved.

Aeromar Lounge (Priority Pass) - After my shower, I decided to try and get some peace and quiet. The Aeromar Lounge was a good place for this. Coffee was fine. Some uninspiring muffins and packaged cereal bars and snacks, etc. Plenty of seating and coffee was what I was after, and it provided this.

Terraza Premier AM by Heineken - I couldn’t quite figure out where it was, but then finally spotted it at the end of “Bus Terminal Gate 75.” Greyhound has nothing on this “gate.” But the lounge was pleasant. Foodstuffs were not much more than packaged goods, but I saw attendants bringing out fruit plates and some other things to customers. Bar looked like it had a decent selection. Nice bright room. I didn’t stay for long. I just wanted a walk before my flight.

I didn’t visit the other AM lounge. The entry line was substantial, and there was no reason to enter.

As an aside, we had to wait approximately 30 minutes for our gate, landing at 545am.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 30, 2017 at 10:46 am Reason: Correct spelling for possible search

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.