Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Requirements for visiting Mexico 🇲🇽 as a tourist (FMM, "tourist card", visa, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Need
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

The immigration requirements herein apply particularly to US Citizens and residents, though Canadian requirements are similar and listed in a following post (#6). Citizens of other countries should use the TIMATIC link below to determine entry requirements for Mexico; TIMATIC is what the airlines use to see if you have met the entry requirements of your transit and destination countries (and whether you will board or not).

Visitors may be issued "Forma Migratoria Múltiple para Extranjeros", but most will arrive with FMMs printed previously. You can see the requirements for visitors to Mexico and have the FMM emailed to you at https://www.mexicotouristcard.com.

The document, abbreviated "FMM" or often called "TOURIST CARDS", are valid for UP TO 180 days (but check how many days you are given by the admitting immigration officer). You must retain the portion returned to you and turn it in upon leaving México. Lose it and you will be delayed (required to fill out paperwork) and fined.

Link to Mini-Guide for Passengers Arriving by Airplane (PDF, Spanish)

You can easily download the immigration form from the web, fill it out and turn it in. You’ll still need to retain one portion to turn it in on departure, and you’ll still have to fill out a separate customs form. See this thread.

These requirements could theoretically change at any time; please check with the INM link shown below, as this thread may not be up to date and relied upon for specific Mexican government requirements, though the OP will attempt to keep it up to date. PLEASE READ THE OP THOROUGHLY.

See this official page to learn what you can, and can not, import into Mexico

Updated 12/7/2022
While trying to fill out the FMM online, the following "New Advisory" showed up:

If you are flying IN and OUT of the following airports:
  • Cancun International Airport (CUN)
  • Cozumel International Airport (CZM)
  • Los Cabos International Airport (SJD)
  • Puerto Vallarta International Airport (PVR)
  • Mexico City International Airport (MEX)
You NO longer need to fill out the Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM) also known as Tourist Card.

There are a few exceptions:
  • If you are flying to/from ANY OTHER airport in Mexico NOT listed above, then you may still need to fill out the Immigration Form "manually" when you arrive or depart from another airport in Mexico.
  • If you are visiting from a country that requires a VISA, then you still need to fill out the form. Please be aware that for the airports listed ABOVE you will need to fill out the form "manually" upon your arrival to Mexico.
  • If you are NOT a "visitor," for example, a permanent resident in Mexico, then you still need to follow the normal arrival procedures as before.
Print Wikipost

Requirements for visiting Mexico 🇲🇽 as a tourist (FMM, "tourist card", visa, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by tangey
I'm coming from Britain on a UK passport, first into Mia, and then onwards to CUN by air, and finally going back to the UK direct from CUN. its a 2 week vacation in total.

I'm entering the US on the US Visa Waiver program. (i.e. I won't have a visa)

I'm assuming I just fill in the relevant customs/ immigration forms on the AA flight to CUN ?

Is it really a requirement to have a prescription for standard meds such as BP tabs and statins ?
For the passport etc. if you are a UK citizen, stopping in the USA and going on to CUN with a return ticket and current UK passport, IATA TIMATIC says "Summary: Yes, The travel documentations held by the traveler are sufficient!" So, yes, you should be given the Mexican FMM and Customs forms at the MIA check-in desk (or in the airplane cabin - I'd ask, sometimes they may forget and then you have to hunt them down in CUN on landing).

As to medications, it actually is a requirement, though it's not much enforced. The issue would be more challenging if it were for a controlled or prohibited medication in Mexico - anything with pseudoephedrine (or similar stimulants), for example, is very tricky because so much has been exported to Mexico for remanufacture into methamphetamine and other illicit drugs then smuggled back in to the USA. So the USA put the clamps on and Mexico changed its laws. (That having been said, quantities for personal use during your stay should not cause undue alarm.)

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 7, 2014 at 5:04 pm
Old Oct 2, 2013, 3:49 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by JDiver
For the passport etc. if you are a UK citizen, stopping in the USA and going on to CUN with a return ticket and current UK passport, IATA TIMATIC says "Summary: Yes, The travel documentations held by the traveler are sufficient!" So, yes, you should be given the Mexican FMM and Customs forms at the MIA check-in desk (or in the airplane cabin - I'd ask, sometimes they may forget and then you have to hunt them down in CUN on landing).

As to medications, it actually is a requirement, though it's not much enforced. The issue would be more challenging if it were for a controlled or prohibited medication in Mexico - anything with pseudoephedrine (or similar stimulants), for example, is very tricky because so much has been exported to Mexico for remanufacturee into methamphetamine and other illicit drugs then smuggled back in to the USA. So the USA put the clamps on and Mexico changed its laws. (That having been said, quantities for personal use during your stay should not cause undue alarm.)
Your responses are much appreciated.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 12:16 pm

I have lost the bottom half of my FMM (or rather I'm convinced the immigration clerk didn't hand it over) and need to fly to the US on Monday morning.

What should I do?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
This is probably best answered by JDiver, but its not a terrible situation. i have never had to do it but my understanding it that it really only involves extra time and a fee of about $30us.

If you really cant find it be sure you go to check in VERY early so that you have plenty of time to talk to La Migra to have them process you out and take your money.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 3:21 pm

Thought I'd close out the query as I went to the airport today to sort it all ahead of flying Monday.

You have to fill in some forms declaring you lost it, complete another fmm, pay $306 MXN and also submit photocopies of your passport, entry stamp page and flight itinerary. Relatively painless.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adnando
Thought I'd close out the query as I went to the airport today to sort it all ahead of flying Monday.

You have to fill in some forms declaring you lost it, complete another fmm, pay $306 MXN and also submit photocopies of your passport, entry stamp page and flight itinerary. Relatively painless.
Thanks for sharing! Glad it went easily.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:19 pm

HELP I AM PANICKING, I am travelling to Mexico for spring break and I am going alone, my dad is doing business overseas and I am only with my mom, how can I get notarized papers???? Do I need notarized papers?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Zaabri
HELP I AM PANICKING, I am travelling to Mexico for spring break and I am going alone, my dad is doing business overseas and I am only with my mom, how can I get notarized papers???? Do I need notarized papers?
Welcome to the Mexico pages of FT.

Assuming you are a minor (under age 18), and a US citizen, and will be in Mexico for less than 180 days, according the document at the link below you will NOT need a notarized consent document to exit Mexico.

http://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/washingt...inors_2014.pdf

Have fun, enjoy your trip (smartly!)
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:41 am

I Have Two Mexican FMM Tourist Cards

Hello everyone,

I drove across at Tijuana and got a FMM card valid for 180 days (I was opening a MXN bank account and needed it for that reason, otherwise I never bother getting one when I drive across). I drove back into the U.S. about a month later and then I flew from the U.S. to Mexico, whereupon landing I got another FMM card. That second one was only valid for 60 days.

So now I have 2 FMM's in my possession, the first issued one will last until Oct 2014, and the second one until July 2014. I wasn't planning on leaving Mex until October, so would there be a problem with me just staying in the country and giving them my original FMM w/180 days when I fly out in October?

Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrLatka
Hello everyone,

I drove across at Tijuana and got a FMM card valid for 180 days (I was opening a MXN bank account and needed it for that reason, otherwise I never bother getting one when I drive across). I drove back into the U.S. about a month later and then I flew from the U.S. to Mexico, whereupon landing I got another FMM card. That second one was only valid for 60 days.

So now I have 2 FMM's in my possession, the first issued one will last until Oct 2014, and the second one until July 2014. I wasn't planning on leaving Mex until October, so would there be a problem with me just staying in the country and giving them my original FMM w/180 days when I fly out in October?

Thanks!
They'll probably not notice anything when you give them your piece of the October FMM.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: HH Silver
Just a question. On tripadvisor, reading lots of threads about people being denied access to Mexico because of past drug law violations in the US, as well as DUI. I know this is common in Canada, but never heard of Mexico turning people away. Anyone with first hand knowledge? I trust FT more than TA....
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tatterdema
Just a question. On tripadvisor, reading lots of threads about people being denied access to Mexico because of past drug law violations in the US, as well as DUI. I know this is common in Canada, but never heard of Mexico turning people away. Anyone with first hand knowledge? I trust FT more than TA....
If they are data sharing, this could certainly be occurring. I'd also imagine the data would be less likely to show up at smaller, more paper-bound border posts and the like.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
If they are data sharing, this could certainly be occurring. I'd also imagine the data would be less likely to show up at smaller, more paper-bound border posts and the like.
Thanks. Guess I will follow it for a while and see what happens. I have seen literally dozens and dozens of people get turned back from Canada for past DUI convictions. Hoping it does not get that bad.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tatterdema
Thanks. Guess I will follow it for a while and see what happens. I have seen literally dozens and dozens of people get turned back from Canada for past DUI convictions. Hoping it does not get that bad.
I think Canada and the USA have more efficient data sharing and a greater uniformity than Mexico in border posts having access to the data. I'm not saying anything about whether it's good or bad, because it is what it is, but rather commenting on how likely the filters are apt to work (say arriving at MEX vs. using the station at San Ysidro, never mind places like Sonoita or stations away from the border on major highways).
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Cash to exit MEX?

Poked around but couldn't find any recent information. The last time I was in Mexico City was over 25 years ago. I remember having to frantically search/find a place inside the airport that would cash a Traveler's Check into pesos in order to pay an airport exit fee.

Am I correct in assuming that the exit cost from MEX is already included in my airline ticket and that I needn't do anything elese?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.