Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Passport expiring -travel to mexico?

Old Jul 4, 2010, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,
trying to plan a family trip to Los Cabos, my wifes US passport expires the end of August, tried searching online but could not see, does Mexico have the six month rule?
P.S. she also has a Brazilian passport if she is flying from the US would she need a visa?
much appreciated
S
Old Jul 6, 2010, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
I would recomend that you renew the US passport before you go. It would save you a ton of problems. As for the Brazilian passport, I have read that a visa is needed but that there are some exceptions. Contact the Brazilian Embassy for more info. Please also know that your wife will have to leave and enter the US using her American PP even if she uses her Brazilian one to enter Mexico.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by shas12
Hi All,
trying to plan a family trip to Los Cabos, my wifes US passport expires the end of August, tried searching online but could not see, does Mexico have the six month rule?
P.S. she also has a Brazilian passport if she is flying from the US would she need a visa?
much appreciated
S
The 6 month rule is not explicitly listed on the US Embassy in Mexico site as a requirement (see here). Ultimately, depends on the risks you are willing to take - as OpenJaw advised above, the safest route would be to renew first.

Brazilians are not on the list of countries that do not require a visa:
Si eres nacional de Alemania, Andorra, Argentina, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bélgica, Bahamas, Bulgaria, Canadá, Chipre, Corea del Sur, Costa Rica, Dinamarca, Eslovaquia, Eslovenia, España, Estados Unidos de América, Estonia, Finlandia, Francia, Gran Bretaña, Grecia, Hungría, Hong Kong, Irlanda, Islandia, Israel, Italia, Japón, Letonia, Liechtenstein, Lituania, Luxemburgo, Malta, Mónaco, Noruega, Nueva Zelanda, Países Bajos, Panamá, Polonia, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Rumania, San Marino, Singapur, Suecia, Suiza, Uruguay y Venezuela, podrás internarte a México sin necesidad de visa, presentando tu pasaporte y la "Forma Migratoria de Turista, Transmigrante, Visitante persona de negocios o Visitante consejero", que puedes obtener en agencias de viaje, líneas aéreas o en el propio punto de internación a México..
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by Tinkerer
The 6 month rule is not explicitly listed on the US Embassy in Mexico site as a requirement (see here). Ultimately, depends on the risks you are willing to take - as OpenJaw advised above, the safest route would be to renew first.

Brazilians are not on the list of countries that do not require a visa:
Please don't guess when answering questions like this - it creates issues for people.

Greencard Holders don't need visas when traveling to Mexico.

Visa required, except for A stay of max. 180 days:
- for alien permanent residents of the U.S.A. holding proof
of residence;
Old Aug 21, 2010, 6:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Timatic says

"If you are traveling anywhere overseas, even to Canada, the Caribbean or Mexico, you now need a passport to board an international flight and to enter any country. In general your passport must be valid for at least six months after the date you enter a foreign country."

And

/ 22AUG10 / 0127 UTC

National U.S.A. (US) /Destination Mexico (MX)

Mexico (MX)

Passport required.
- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid
on arrival
- Warning: if departing from the USA (regardless of any

destination passport exemptions), a valid passport and/or

accepted departure document (TIRULES/R9) is required by
the US immigration authorities.

Passport Exemptions:

- Holders of a US Passport Card, provided arriving
from/departing to a country other than the USA..

Visa required, except for A stay of max. 180 days:
- for nationals of U.S.A.;

Minors:
- Minors under 14 years of age, when travelling alone, should
be met by an adult.
Additional Information:

- Visitor must hold a FMM form issued to each passenger free
of charge by airlines, travel agencies or on arrival.
Warning:
- Non-compliance with entry regulations will result in fines

for carrier, For details, click here

CHECK TINEWS/N1 - UNITED KINGDOM: CHILD VISIT VISA

Timaticweb Version 1.3
22 August 2010"

You can easily access Timatic Web via Delta Airlines' site here.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Please don't guess when answering questions like this - it creates issues for people.
Please don't make accusations without reading fully reading a post. The information I posted came straight from the Mexican Secretariat responsible for the regulations (Spanish version) and the US Embassy in Mexico (English version) - the sources are linked in my original post.

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Greencard Holders don't need visas when traveling to Mexico.
The OP does not mention whether his wife is a Green card holder. However, it's highly unlikely that she has a valid I-551 since she's a US citizen

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.