Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Bus travel in Mexico, the definitive thread.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2013, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

The BUS? Really? Yes, really. Mexico has a very modern bus system (with some not so modern ones) with European busses with highly trained drivers, GPS positioning and reporting, cradle and even angled lie-flat seats WiFi, refreshment service, at-seat entertainment, etc. at reasonable prices (sometimes the pricing is lower than paying for gasoline and freeway tolls, never mind renting a car). Read this thread for more information on economical, safe intercity travel.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by JDiver
Without further checking from here right now (I'll do so later) the easiest might be MEX to Puebla and on to Huajuapan de León from the terminal there. Theravada would be possible, but I think you'd be in for a terminal change.
OK, been digging some more. Looks like there is direct service from TAPO to HUajuapan, so it'd be a matter of finding my way to TAPO, and get on the bus there.

Would going through Puebla be preferable for some reason?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
OK, been digging some more. Looks like there is direct service from TAPO to HUajuapan, so it'd be a matter of finding my way to TAPO, and get on the bus there.

Would going through Puebla be preferable for some reason?
The only reason you would consider going through Puebla is, as I mentioned in my previous post, because there is a direct bus from MEX airport to Puebla, which eliminates the need to get to TAPO. Depending on the length of layover in Puebla, though, it may be more desirable to get to TAPO (see my previous post for instructions) and take the direct bus to Huajuapan from there.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:38 am

After experiencing 2 overnight Mexican bus rides OCC: Huatulco-San Cristobal de Las Casas and ADO: San Cristobal de las Casas-Oaxaca. Why are most of the scheduled long distance trips overnight in this region? And a follow-up question, I thought it was recommended not to drive at night in Mexico? Why do busses travel at night?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Brattflyer
After experiencing 2 overnight Mexican bus rides OCC: Huatulco-San Cristobal de Las Casas and ADO: San Cristobal de las Casas-Oaxaca. Why are most of the scheduled long distance trips overnight in this region? And a follow-up question, I thought it was recommended not to drive at night in Mexico? Why do busses travel at night?
Most people traveling long distances in Mexico by bus do not like the idea of losing an entire day to bus travel.

The busses are very large and benefit from less traffic (not to mention their size), they have very experienced drivers (as opposed to us when we drive there at night), and the busses are equipped with GPS positioning keeping the bus company aware of where they are (as well as preventing speeding and unsafe driving).
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal
The only reason you would consider going through Puebla is, as I mentioned in my previous post, because there is a direct bus from MEX airport to Puebla, which eliminates the need to get to TAPO. Depending on the length of layover in Puebla, though, it may be more desirable to get to TAPO (see my previous post for instructions) and take the direct bus to Huajuapan from there.
That's it. I hate the idea of losing significant time getting to TAPO and then slogging out through D.F. traffic. MEX-Puebla and onward to Huajuapan seems simpler and likely faster. (It's also a colorful route - good views of the volcanoes Popocatepetl and Ixtaccihuatl, etc. are often part of the trip.)
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:50 pm
Formerly known as vgandhi

Programs: Delta 1 MM and Platinum, United Premier Platinum, Starwood Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Gold
Mexico City to Acapulco

Hello JDriver
I am flying from USA. To Mexico City during Christmas and want to go to Acapulco. Will you suggest that we take a bus or rent a car and drive. Which is safer better and economical
Please advice we are 3 in family
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gotofly
Hello JDriver
I am flying from USA. To Mexico City during Christmas and want to go to Acapulco. Will you suggest that we take a bus or rent a car and drive. Which is safer better and economical
Bus safer, more economical, more comfortable - by far - IMO.

Be sure to have confirmed accommodations booked, and book your bus tickets ahead as well. Acapulco will be very crowded (and more expensive) at Christmas time.

Sorry for the late reply; I've been off the Internet for nearly three weeks due to travel.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: Delta 1 MM and Platinum, United Premier Platinum, Starwood Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Quote:
hello
Thanks for the info I tried to book bus from Mexico City to Acapulco and from Acapulco to Ixtapa but the site is in Mexican and I don't understand the language can you guide me how to book tickets. Also is it ok to rent car locally in Acapulco and Ixtapa.
Thanks for any help. I already have hotel reservation in Mexico City Acapulco and ixtapa.

Hello JDriver

Be sure to have confirmed accommodations booked, and book your bus tickets ahead as well. Acapulco will be very crowded (and more expensive) at Christmas time.

Sorry for the late reply; I've been off the Internet for nearly three weeks due to travel.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:35 pm

Quote:
hello JDriver
Thanks for the info I tried to book bus from Mexico City to Acapulco and from Acapulco to Ixtapa but the site is in Mexican and I don't understand the language can you guide me how to book tickets. Also is it ok to rent car locally in Acapulco and Ixtapa.
Thanks for any help. I already have hotel reservation in Mexico City Acapulco and ixtapa.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 15, 2014 at 8:27 am Reason: Close quote
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Except for busy holiday periods, you can usually buy tickets the same day. But to begin with:

Use the Estrella de Oro / ADO site: http://www.ado.com.mx/ado/?acceso=66

In Castilian Spanish (there are certainly indigenous Mexican languages, but you're not likely to find them on a Mexican transport site):

¿De donde sales? = Where are you departing from?

¿A donde vas? = Where are you going?

Redondo = Round Trip

Sencillo = One Way

One way PLUSS MEX (Taxqueña, where Estrella de Oro departs in Mexico City) to ACA is shown as MXN 470, and for MXN 615 for DIAMANTE / Diamond service.

I don't know if they accept US credit cards.

You can try ticketbus at http://www.ticketbus.com.mx/wtbkd/I1...e=en&region=US but the site is buggy as heck. You can try calling Ticketbus at 1.800.009.9090. Ticketbus is part of the ADO system and they claim to handle international MasterCard via the usual MasterCard verification process.

You could try calling Ticketbus or buying the day you travel (and buying the remainder of your tickets at Acapulco station - there is the main station for PLUSS services at ACA, and Acapulco Diamante station for DIAMANTE class busses. (PLUSS is fine, DIAMANTE is full Executive class.)

Of course, if you're not stopping in Acapulco buy a straight through connecting ticket.

Renting a car in Acapulco or Ixtapa can certainly be done, but I'd caution anyone to avoid driving at night and out of the city (or even some areas in the Acapulco greater area); driving into rural areas of the state of Guerrero is plain dangerous.

Guerrero is the most dangerous state to travel in in Mexico outside of controlled areas. The police are notoriously corrupt, gangs are proliferating - notably the "Guerreros Unidos" gang these days.

Last month, this hit the media worldwide: The police in Iguala, Guerrero were told by the mayor to prevent a group of 49 student teachers coming to town to protest discriminatory employment practices to intervene and not allow the students to disrupt his wife's speech.

The police opened fire on their bus, killing six, and removed all the rest in police vehicles. Three members of the Guerreros Unidos gang were detained, and they stated the police turned over the student teachers to them.

GU then transported the students in trucks to another, more remote, site. When they arrived seventeen had suffocated already; they executed all the others by gunshot, burned the remains for fourteen hours using petrol, wood, plastics, etc., crushed the remains, bagged them in sacks and dumped the remains in the (Mixcoac?) river

Federal authorities have not yet found the missing 43 student teachers, but whilst looking for them they have discovered other mass graves. In 2013, more murders were reported in the state of Guerrero than in any other state - and the reports are considered to be the tip of the ice berg.

While it seems safe to visit Taxco, and the nearby Grutas de Cacahuamilpa caves and Xochicalco Toltec archaeological site, Acapulco and Ixtapa, I'd strongly advise not go rural in Guerrero state.

I've visited Guerrero since the 1950s, and some areas have always been dicey.

A school chum and her brother camped on the beach just south of Acapulco (1960s). They were awakened by gunmen and tied up. The assailants sat around discussing what to do with them, but as "Adalberta" was obviously pregnant they chose to let them live. But they shot "Beto's" kneecaps and left them after robbing them.

On another occasion, we were camped in a secure area near Pie de la Cuesta when a camper arrived with obvious bullet holes (1970s). The couple told me they'd pulled over for the night in one of the scenic overlooks just south of Acapulco, between Acapulco and Puerto Marqués, when some armed men knocked and demanded to be let in.

When they declined, the men shot the door lock open (and ventilated the door for good measure). What saved them is they were show professionals traveling with a chimpanzee; the chimp went berzerko at the gunshots and the robbers fled.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 15, 2014 at 9:22 am
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:31 am

Hello JDriver
Thanks for the information. You got me scared and rethinking is it worth to go to Mexico City Acapulco and Ixtapa if I travel from Mexico City to Acapulco by bus in day time spend two nights in hotel take local site seeing trips and then take a bus to Ixtapa spend some time and fly back from ZIH to MEX by Internet so to avoid 9 hour bus travel from Ixtapa to Mexico City
I don't plan to visit any rural areas and will stick to dat time site seeing. Is it still worth the risk or should I change the plan.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Hello JDriver
Thanks for the information. You got me scared and rethinking is it worth to go to Mexico City Acapulco and Ixtapa if I travel from Mexico City to Acapulco by bus in day time spend two nights in hotel take local site seeing trips and then take a bus to Ixtapa spend some time and fly back from ZIH to MEX by Internet so to avoid 9 hour bus travel from Ixtapa to Mexico City
I don't plan to visit any rural areas and will stick to dat time site seeing. Is it still worth the risk or should I change the plan.
The bus should be fine - it goes through Iguala, even, but again, the Estrella de Oro PLUSS or DIAMANTE should be perfectly fine and both cheaper and safer than driving. No worries about rental and insurance cost, breaking down or a flat tire in a dodgy area, etc.

As to cost, I take the bus between Mexico City and Cuernavaca on occasion, and iirc it might be cheaper than paying the roadway tolls.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:08 pm

Hello JDiver
Sorry to bother you again but due to recent violence and demonstrations in Mexico City I am little worried about my travel there in December 25th
Should I still travel to Mexico is it safe.
I am planning to take a bus from Mexico City to acapulco and from acapulco to Ixtapa and flight back from Ixtapa to Mexico City
Should I stay in Mexico City or just use as hub to transfer.
Also is the bus and this cities are safe?
Please help.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Hello JDiver
Sorry to bother you again but due to recent violence and demonstrations in Mexico City I am little worried about my travel there in December 25th
Should I still travel to Mexico is it safe.
I am planning to take a bus from Mexico City to acapulco and from acapulco to Ixtapa and flight back from Ixtapa to Mexico City
Should I stay in Mexico City or just use as hub to transfer.
Also is the bus and this cities are safe?
Please help.
The busses and tourist venues you mention are still safe. Acapulco, it's recommended for visitors to remain on the coastal strip and not venture inland many blocks, and avoid areas like the red light district; connecting at the bus station, as it appears you wish to do, shouldn't be any problem at all (other than it will be crowded and very busy, with full busses, at that time of year).

Mexico City itself should be OK. If there are demonstrations the areas will be known - likely near the Zócalo, perhaps a part of Reforma Ave. or the roadway connecting to the airport - slowing things a bit because of traffic deviations. Avoid areas impacted, and public transport will detour them as well.

And IMO these are less likely to occur (not impossible, just less likely,) during the fiestas Navideñas / Christmas season. The 25th itself will probably be quiet in all ways.

Be sure you have your lodging secured / booked in Ixtapa. Things will be very crowded in Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo and you don't want to find yourself with no place to sleep.

¡Buen viaje!
Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:25 pm

Thanks JDiver
My problem in how to book the bus tickets as the sites are in Spanish. Do you have any work around this.
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.